El Capitan
Mar 23, 2003
Escondido, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Grady White Seafarer ("GalaxSea")
Sat Aug 15th YFT Report out of Oceanside

With all of the good reports just out of Oceanside, I decided to go a bit earlier (345am) out of O-side launch ramp. Keep in mind when we went 3 weeks ago it was a cluster in the morning and more son in the afternoon. My plan was to work towards some numbers about 18 miles out in a SW heading. About 9 miles out we found a bunch of boats and too a quick looksee...nada so on we went. about 3 more miles further out on course, we see some smaller breaking tuna and soaked them for a while. Nothing happening there so onward...around 830-9am a buddy calls me on in on a YFT bite just 5 miles south of us at 33.03 X 117.36. We make a beeline over there at 27-30 knots and slowly slide in with 3 slowed trolled deans. Within 1-2 mins we have a triple going and begin hooting and hollering. all 3 hit the deck and the high 5's and smiles all around. So yes, Finally! My son Nick was ecstatic because it was his first YFT of the year. Keep in mind he lost 2 tuna earlier on previous trips. We proceed to put 9 on the boat (all nice sized YFT 20-30 lbers) over the next two hours where we drifted 1.5 miles slowly chumming chunk deans. Live and chummed both worked and we could see the tuna eating the chunk right off the stern of the boat. We had to leave early and could've caught more ...Had to leave at 1120 am since Dave had to be back in early for his daughters recital. I had a lot of fun Nick, Dave, and Anh. Glad you finally put one on the deck Anh...great trip guys! I'm ready to do it again soon. :D

PS: Look at the boat in the background. I think the boat's name is "Slug." If the skipper is reading this, you acted real desperate coming right on our ass end in our chum-line. It slowed down the bite. :cussing:You're a real A$$HAT for doing that. D-ckhead!!! :Death_To_Above: If you're on BD, I hope you read this...you have no consideration on how to fish. If you hailed me on the radio and asked me, I would have said come on in slowly from the downhill side.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
Right on Mike good job, we were in the same area, you already had six fish so we didn't bother calling you, we only got 4.

Again great job!

Upvote 0

Boun

Feb 3, 2013
Long beach, ca
Name
Boun
Boat
2320 parker
How close to shore where you guys was fishing? Coordinates look like its just off Encinitas. That's a great day of fishing. Thanks for reporting

Upvote 0

mc08066

Jan 24, 2006
San Diego
Name
Jimmy Greene
Boat
kayak
There you go. Good to see you hanging some fish especially after your last 2 trips.
I am sure Kurt is not too happy that he had other plans. Nick looks like he had a good time especially as he is holding the catch. Thanks for the report.
Jimmy

Upvote 0

spize909

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
I saw you drive by with the boat on the trailer as we walking down to get the kids on some paddle boards. I wondered how you did coming off the water so early.
Good going!

Upvote 0

hotrod

El Capitan
Mar 23, 2003
Escondido, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Right on Mike good job, we were in the same area, you already had six fish so we didn't bother calling you, we only got 4.
Again great job!
Thanks Simon. I tried calling you a few times early in the morning and didn't get a response.
Since going on the fish you got. Let's gets Kurt out there.

There you go. Good to see you hanging some fish especially after your last 2 trips.
I am sure Kurt is not too happy that he had other plans. Nick looks like he had a good time especially as he is holding the catch. Thanks for the report.
Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy...we have to get Kurt out and gettum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

capnduane

Jul 23, 2005
Moreno Valley, Ca
Name
Duane Neese
Boat
Crestliner 2260 WAcuddy "C Eagle"
We were out in the same area this morning and got 6 yft from 10 to 30lbs. They bit the chunk better than the dines. Got several runs on dines but they were not eating them, and when you put the reel in gear they would let go......Maybe dines were too big, and tuna were dinks?

Upvote 0

hotrod

El Capitan
Mar 23, 2003
Escondido, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Stylin' mike!
Thanks Ron...good to hear from you. I'll pm you this week so we can get out and fish soon.

We were out in the same area this morning and got 6 yft from 10 to 30lbs. They bit the chunk better than the dines. Got several runs on dines but they were not eating them, and when you put the reel in gear they would let go......Maybe dines were too big, and tuna were dinks?
Nice going for you guys today. Yeah same thing for us on the chunk and runs on deans where they would let go too.

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Nicely done, gents. Congrats Mike

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Thanks Mike, you guys did well too recently.

That we did - I can't lie. Hoping for a repeat performance this week. Best of luck to you my friend.

Upvote 0