Offshore Sat 9/24 Cat/Clemente for tuna

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat Name
ocean
Well, after having the last 5 trips being a success finding tuna, looks like our luck ran out. Launched outta Pedro early, headed to the slide and trolled around, saw nothing, no signs of life, no birds, very little marks on the screen. Continued on to mac bank, trolled around and across it, same deal. Pushed on the North/Northwest end of Clemente for the same. Did see some dolphins, trolled around with the pod but still didn’t not see much. Water temps were down, 69-70, saw 71 once or twice but still down from the 71-74 I had been seeing. Saw a few small Pattie’s in our travels but no life on em. Then trolled to the backside of cat and down the backside back to the slide on the way home for nothing. Long boat ride for our few hundred pounds of Ice but still better than working.

To make matters better, had two lines out trolling, had someone run up to our stern at about 50mph, didn’t have time to turn into him so I slowed thinking he would run in front of us, tried to wave him off and get him on the radio but no reaction, stopped the boat to sink our lures, he took both our lines and spooled off our lines and took it with him, super awesome.

Radio traffic seemed that it was slow for tuna for everyone and a lot of empty Pattie’s or even ones with fish that didn’t wanna bite for dorado. Nice day on the water for the first half of the day, blown out in the afternoon. Good luck and tight lines 🤙🏻

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Capt Devo
Boat Name
Kristan K
Well, after having the last 5 trips being a success finding tuna, looks like our luck ran out. Launched outta Pedro early, headed to the slide and trolled around, saw nothing, no signs of life, no birds, very little marks on the screen. Continued on to mac bank, trolled around and across it, same deal. Pushed on the North/Northwest end of Clemente for the same. Did see some dolphins, trolled around with the pod but still didn’t not see much. Water temps were down, 69-70, saw 71 once or twice but still down from the 71-74 I had been seeing. Saw a few small Pattie’s in our travels but no life on em. Then trolled to the backside of cat and down the backside back to the slide on the way home for nothing. Long boat ride for our few hundred pounds of Ice but still better than working.

To make matters better, had two lines out trolling, had someone run up to our stern at about 50mph, didn’t have time to turn into him so I slowed thinking he would run in front of us, tried to wave him off and get him on the radio but no reaction, stopped the boat to sink our lures, he took both our lines and spooled off our lines and took it with him, super awesome.

Radio traffic seemed that it was slow for tuna for everyone and a lot of empty Pattie’s or even ones with fish that didn’t wanna bite for dorado. Nice day on the water for the first half of the day, blown out in the afternoon. Good luck and tight lines 🤙🏻
Last laugh is on the fool driving around with the 900 hundred yards of Spectra now tightly wound up on his propeller shaft overheating and burning out the shaft bearings and seals causing the loss of the lower unit gear oil and disintegrating the gears then finding out he didn't renew his Sea Tow. I hope he doesn't catch this blunder and blows out his entire lower unit there is zero excuse for running up on anyone. If this is any small consiliation for your pain and suffering....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat Name
ocean
How is it possible for some dumb dick to opperate so wrecklessly and not know that it's not cool or safe? The whole friggin ocean and they do 50 close enough to run over your trollers. Unbelievable!
He finally got on the radio saying it was my fault…while I was slow trolling…with two rods off the back obviously trolling at trolling speed, not another boat in sight. Said I should turned out of his way lol, dudes was doing 50 knots, my boats a big heavy diesel work boat, it ain’t moving anywhere quick.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
No, it was a fisherman in a small defiance, he should have known and by his radio traffic it sounded like he did but didn’t give a shit, said I shoulda turned out of his way

The proper way of communicating with Defiance or Parker boats is to wave your AR15 wildly in the air and send a warning shot through the bow.

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
Mar 3, 2008
Aztlan
Name
Mandoman
Boat Name
Kathleen
Last laugh is on the fool driving around with the 900 hundred yards of Spectra now tightly wound up on his propeller shaft overheating and burning out the shaft bearings and seals causing the loss of the lower unit gear oil and disintegrating the gears then finding out he didn't renew his Sea Tow. I hope he doesn't catch this blunder and blows out his entire lower unit there is zero excuse for running up on anyone. If this is any small consiliation for your pain and suffering....
Thank you for writing EXACTLY what I was thinking..... separated at birth? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Zika
Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat Name
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Somebody, call the Idiots Running Over Trolling Lines Police! Please!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    The proper way of communicating with Defiance or Parker boats is to wave your AR15 wildly in the air and send a warning shot through the bow.

That's how I deal with Trophy owners. Wait. I own a Trophy. Oops! :D

On a side note, I once had an out-rigger team competing in the Catalina to Long Beach canoe race run over my trollers once. I tried to turn 'em, but they were headed north at mach 2. My bad!

Upvote 0