Offshore Sat 8/16 Persistence and Afternoon bite paid off!

PENN

KVH

Almost A Member
Mar 30, 2007
Laguna Niguel, CA
Name
Kurtis
Boat
Parker 2520
Exhausted, just got back to OC.
Late start, got gas at 7 am, out of harbor by 8 am.
Scoop and a half of Good dines from SD Bay
Headed to 371, lots of boats, empty kelps, 425, same, S of 425, nothing. 10-12 nice kelps in the AM, none holding.
Wind was blowing steady 15 at this point. White caps by 1030/11. Pointed it NW and trolled and trolled. Wet ride uphill, felt bad for the guys in the Center Consoles today.
Heard of a few guys that had done well around 371 early, but not many.
At 1:00, find a group of 3-4 paddies about 8 mi NE of the 371....
Drifted off the paddies, all alone, chunked and chummed, hot baits got HAMMERED.
Had doubles and triples going all by ourselves for the next 3 hours. 17 YFT, couldn't hold any more. Could have gone on for another 3 hours.
Had a Pacific Ocean virgin out visiting from NY. Popped his cherry proper.
Long ride home. Wind laid down at about the islands.
Don't ever give up guys, all it takes is finding them, and one stop!!
Back at it on Weds.

--Kurtis Out

Some pics:
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo.JPG
photo 5.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
Nice! Way to stay at it. I have said it too many times. "We only need to find that ONE paddy". Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Glad you guys killed it

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Damnit!
We were looking for that paddy all day....we ended up with 5 tuna and whos counting 5 lb rat yt anyhow.Uphill NW ride was very doable if you had a snorkel and mask...or a pilothouse:)We still had water lapping at our toes,need to break out silicone this week,work on that factory weather but not completly water proof seam.

We might have seen you early morning.

Sun was high in the sky and burning bright all day,what more could one ask.

If I were to choose a day next week to fish it would be Wednesday....to bad I have to wait till Saturday.
To all weekend warriors,see ya next week.

Reactions: FatBoy4130
Upvote 0

bajaandy

Condition One
Jun 13, 2008
Escondido
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
Dude from NY is ruined. Anyone from outa state that fishes this epic bite is ruined. I can just hear him now going home and telling all his homies how awesome the tuna fishing is off sandy-eggo.
Super stoked you guys waited it out and stayed on the hunt and got paid. Thanks for the report.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Nice one Kurtis, it looks pretty sloppy out there, way to tough it out when most are running for the barn!!!

Upvote 0

salvatoretocco1

Almost A Member
Aug 7, 2008
san diego ca united states
Name
salvatore tocco`
Boat
none
whats crazy is on friday we boated the boat NE from the 371 and found a group of three patties in a triangle shape on got limits for three on them also...wonder if its the same magic bushes.....glad you guys killed it (we were all by ourselves too)

Upvote 0

Bizzy

May 19, 2009
Poway CA
Name
Tom
Boat
25 Parker
whats crazy is on friday we boated the boat NE from the 371 and found a group of three patties in a triangle shape on got limits for three on them also...wonder if its the same magic bushes.....glad you guys killed it (we were all by ourselves too)

Could be. We had a 4-5 knot wind drift from west to east. Last couple of drifts we couldn't find the paddies, just shot back west a 1/4 mile and started again. Had a triple both times. It's been so nice the last few weeks I forgot how much it sucks to head north in slop!

Upvote 0

jeremyv75

Almost A Member
Exhausted, just got back to OC.
Late start, got gas at 7 am, out of harbor by 8 am.
Scoop and a half of Good dines from SD Bay
Headed to 371, lots of boats, empty kelps, 425, same, S of 425, nothing. 10-12 nice kelps in the AM, none holding.
Wind was blowing steady 15 at this point. White caps by 1030/11. Pointed it NW and trolled and trolled. Wet ride uphill, felt bad for the guys in the Center Consoles today.
Heard of a few guys that had done well around 371 early, but not many.
At 1:00, find a group of 3-4 paddies about 8 mi NE of the 371....
Drifted off the paddies, all alone, chunked and chummed, hot baits got HAMMERED.
Had doubles and triples going all by ourselves for the next 3 hours. 17 YFT, couldn't hold any more. Could have gone on for another 3 hours.
Had a Pacific Ocean virgin out visiting from NY. Popped his cherry proper.
Long ride home. Wind laid down at about the islands.
Don't ever give up guys, all it takes is finding them, and one stop!!
Back at it on Weds.

--Kurtis Out

Some pics:
View attachment 536436 View attachment 536437 View attachment 536438 View attachment 536440View attachment 536439

View attachment 536435
Hey thanks for the report. I think that's the area we have been hitting and it does paddy off to sit on the meter marks as well.. I'll be out Thursday let me know how you do.

Upvote 0