Sat 6/29/19 and a little bit more...

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by patfishhi, Jul 1, 2019.

1. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Our outage (work) finished 6/21/19; So Andrew and I snuck out on 6/22/19. Had an Ono bite in a pile, took 80% of the skirts, bummers. Early afternoon Andrew at the wheel, the Captain slacking in the bean bag when I am so rudely awoken by 2 riggers letting go; you all know that is the best alarm clock known to mankind. One comes off, the other one Andrew gets to battle. Maybe 100' from leader fishes pulls hard and the line breaks WTF??? Broke right at the knot.

Sunday 6/23/19 Greg and I take a Sunday morning drive. Said it will be a short day; heading towards Maili around 11AM, both in the tower and the stbd corner takes off, get the deck cleared , Greg reeling in the small blue, same scenario see the fish get excited lunges hard and the line breaks. WTF squared??? Same knots I have tied for 20 years, different line, ahi was 80# suffix superior, the marlin 100# Momoi Diamond, both have breaking strength higher than the line class itself. Checked drags on both of those reels they were fine. The only new item in the mix; I have recently gone to a lower profile snap swivel, Spro 195#, the shank of the ring I tie to is smaller diameter than the previous swivels I had been using. Open to thoughts.

OK now lets get current... 6/29/19, Tommy (co-worker) and his brother Chad (visiting from Texas) met me at the boat around 4:30, pushed off shortly there-afterwards. Probably around 7 get a text from slip neighbor, "just broke one off at the boat", bummer, he was further down south. Head that way, maybe 355 degrees back to Waianae, make a turn off the 1000, just then the stbd flat goes, chrome jet. It's a little sloppy, so keep one engine in gear, get the deck cleared, Chad battling our "little friend", the issue is with way on the boat, it makes that fish alot bigger, just because of his mass against the movement of the boat (plus I am nutted up about breaking 2 fish off the previous weekend, don't want to put too much pressure on the fish).
    IMG_0432.PNG
    Not making up much ground, finally take the boat out of gear, have Tommy provide his brother some stability. Get the fish to leader, I leader Tommy gaffs, the rest is history, Chad is Texas sized ecstatic. Try for some more, no more action so head it in, tie up around 2:15. Cut fish and call it a day.
    IMG_0435.JPG
    Chad
    IMG_3051.jpeg
    Tommy and Pat
    IMG_0425.PNG
    She wasn't liking me turning her spinal cord into mush.
    IMG_0433.JPG
    Plane Jane Chrome jet.
    Cheers
    Pat

I'M OFF, Puravida16, kaze and 2 others like this.
  2. KFD

KFD Newbie

Name:
    Kit Duerr
    Boat:
    Force 21
    Nice one we got one yesterday on a chrome missed the other on a Stan Ho swimmer.First time we went in like three months because of house upkeep and trailer work ect.

3. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Pat and crew, glad you got that yellow guy aboard. Did you switch back to the old swivel style on the last trip?

4. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Pat and crew,
    Congrats on the nice fat yellow guy! Hard luck on the ones that got away...at least you’re getting the bites (small consolation)!

5. Morris Lures

Morris Lures Pirate

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    FORCE 21
    Thats a fatty. Good going and thanks for sharing the magic colors. You entering the friends and family tournament this saturday.

6. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Thanks Kit, good goin' on yours...
    Thanks Darren, nope, can't convince myself that was the failure mechanism.
    Thanks Russ, good goin' on yours.
    Thanks Nick, nope gonna be on the mainland for the long weekend. Good luck if you're in.

Cheers
    Pat

7. I'M OFF

I'M OFF Really off

Name:
    Tommy
    Boat:
    Nice Pat and crew!!! Its all in the name! Kai’ Nana needed a “Tommy” on the deck. Lol. Just to let you know we gave it a go on the bluefin here. I connected on a popper but got broke off. Dan connected on a bait but also broke off. Fish on buddy hope to see you sooner than later.
    Aloha