eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Costa Mesa Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
Went out on the Grande Sunday with my son,...
loaded 105 scoops of the most Primo sardines Ive seen this year so far... worked down into that zone outside the Coronados with the San Diego and Liberty on our flanks... as soon as we hit the zone Capt Alec gets on the horn "HERE THEM COME... START BAIT HEAVY STARBOARD SIDE..." starts the circle... and the next thing you know... its absolute violence in the water around the boat... everyone was bent... fish out of the water everywhere... shiners coming under the corner... best bluefin stop I think Ive ever seen for about 30 minutes. And for some stupid reason my ass grabbed a 25lb setup... bad move... I got wrecked for about 45 minutes... but it hit the deck. These fish were mean as hell. I think we put about (15) fish in the RSW on that first stop.

The overcast burned off and it was plunker city the rest of the day for about (8) more fish total. There was no shortage in the zone for sure. We didnt go more than 10-15 minutes without stopping for a quick show... but very few biters. Did manage to get a second fish that I tag teamed with my son... he was so tired I dont think he said a word or touched a rod for about 2 hours after that hahahahha he said hell wait till next year to fish bluefin again... LOL

most fish were on the flyline... saw maybe 4 fish on the FF... maybe 3 on the sinker rig... I think our final was (23) BFT and (5) Rats (2lb-6lb) on one paddy EOD...
pretty good for a full day in my opinion... Im used to Catalina and seals... LOL
Captain Alec Captain Tyler Toni Pinhead and two other I dont remember their names sorry? But GREAT crew... on it all day long... much respect...

looks like they didnt find them yesterday... but they are back on the 100lb-150lb fish today... theyve got (5) aboard so far...

Screenshot_20210509-170649_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210509-170725_Gallery.jpg

20210509_163100.jpg

Screenshot_20210510-073042_Maps.jpg

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom
Boat
None
Nice fish on the lighter line. Your poor son looks wore out. Even his hair is frazzled. Hope he comes back for more... Soon.

Good job getting him out there. And catching some good eats for Mom!

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Costa Mesa Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
Nice work Eric.
What #test would they bite besides the light line?
40lb _ 50lb for sure Mike... capt yelled 10 times no line in the water less than 40 50... most of the fish past the first blowout bite were first guy in on the slide biters... and then drift for one fish... then on to the next... gotta chum heavy heavy... they were dumping bait...

Reactions: sealskinner
Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    40lb _ 50lb for sure Mike... capt yelled 10 times no line in the water less than 40 50... most of the fish past the first blowout bite were first guy in on the slide biters... and then drift for one fish... then on to the next... gotta chum heavy heavy... they were dumping bait...
    Perfect. Your mom is a lucky lady.

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    Truth be told I fell asleep after bait and a burrito on the way out... and I was only awake for 3/4 of an American Spirit before I was stumbling to the rack as it went down LOL I saw about a 20lber get air... so I stupidly grabbed my paddy rig... and it was all too late... TN12 / Seeker ISP 809T 40lb MaxC... 20yds Izor 25lb xxx 4ft 25lb Blue Label... 1/0 Gorilla... rig was at full tilt the whole time... had that bastard at deep color for 30 mins... I could not fing turn his head... had to thumb clamp the spool and turn the handle like a knob to finally get him up... drag was smoked... in the market for a set of washers if anybodys got some?? LOL I had some good karma saved up... I think I may have just used a bunch...

20210509_133645.jpg

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Truth be told I fell asleep after bait and a burrito on the way out... and I was only awake for 3/4 of an American Spirit before I was stumbling to the rack as it went down LOL I saw about a 20lber get air... so I stupidly grabbed my paddy rig... and it was all too late... TN12 / Seeker ISP 809T 40lb MaxC... 20yds Izor 25lb xxx 4ft 25lb Blue Label... 1/0 Gorilla... rig was at full tilt the whole time... had that bastard at deep color for 30 mins... I could not fing turn his head... had to thumb clamp the spool and turn the handle like a knob to finally get him up... drag was smoked... in the market for a set of washers if anybodys got some?? LOL I had some good karma saved up... I think I may have just used a bunch...

View attachment 1278984
    That's what the pros do.

Reactions: gettingbentwithbo
    Upvote 0

Isaltyvair1980

Isaltyvair1980
    Nov 4, 2019
    Santa Ana
    Name
    Isaiah
    Boat
    2002 Edgewater 185
    Epic report! So rad to see dads getting the youngsters hooked. My son is full speed hooked:) Great job on light stuff, those are mean fish on light tackle. Cheers!!

Upvote 0

Dbado1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat
    Toyota tundra
    Great report...thank you!
    My brother and I are headed out on the SD on Saturday. Can't wait! You just stoked me up even more!!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    That's a heck of a fish on 25 pound.... Congrats. Your son looks like he could reel in 20 of those and not tire out! Tough fish!

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Damn way to go! Helluva report. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0