Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
The sinker rig is pretty popular so far this season, my problem with it is trying to impale a sardine with a hook worthy of a 60-120 lb BFT and then actually expecting him to live, much less swim :rolleyes: No one is going to take the time to bridle a bait on a sportboat so I'm wondering if anyone has tried something like this? For reference the grid on that paper is 3/16th".

LB hook.jpg

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Guys have tried it, but I really don’t think the bait has to be all that lively. It’s more like a slow troll at depth. Keeping the bait from wrapping around the mainline is probably the bigger challenge. You could easily get away with a decent size hook without the bridle.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Hoping your not expecting any fish to eat the smaller "J" hook.... right? In your example pic.... How is that hook attached.... ie wire? Flouro? Floss? Just wondering...

P.S. I know the idea is to get it to eat the larger hook.... but "MURPHYS LAW" says that .... of course they'll eat the small one....or drop the big hook and "snag" the smaller "j" hook.... with its "questionable" attachment to the main hook.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Hoping your not expecting any fish to eat the smaller "J" hook.... right? In your example pic.... How is that hook attached.... ie wire? Flouro? Floss? Just wondering...

P.S. I know the idea is to get it to eat the larger hook.... but "MURPHYS LAW" says that .... of course they'll eat the small one....or drop the big hook and "snag" the smaller "j" hook.... with its "questionable" attachment to the main hook.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    A 1/0 or 2/0 Mutu is all you really need and it doesn't annihilate sardines. With a sinker rig there's only so much they can do with a torpedo weight a fathom away. Even #4 Mutus have managed plenty triple digit bluefin the last few years, let alone 1/0s.

That technique's been done to flyline small baits but you use mosquito hooks and light braid, as if that point catches you want it to straighten out or break off as to not interfere with the hookset of the real hook, otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot if you can even get a bait to carry around all the extra weight of the larger hook.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Chandelier or do a newbie nose hook. Not through the side of the nose in the tiny pin clear hard spot, for flyline free wheeling performance. With a thick diameter hook that is thicker then the clear hard nose spot. Go up through the lower jaw through the mouth and out the top of the nose. Pin the sardines mouth shut. Opposite of what is normal

Won't loose the bait on the free fall. Can be slowly swam back

Like deep dropping Codfish with sardines. Up through the mouth and not side nose hooked. So you don't reach bottom with your bait coming off on the free fall

Last edited:
    Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Greenie does not come off easy. And was productive last year. On the sinker rig

Upvote 0