sardine fishing with mak 20/100lb. and which rod?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by spinner, Dec 25, 2015.

1. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    i have seen soda pop and fishy go off with the mak 20. which rod do you like to use for 100 pound to be able to cast a sardine away from the boat when every one you pick wants to swim back to the boat. but i still want to be able to fish 30+ pounds of drag at strike and not bottom out the rod?

2. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    UC 7' Viper. Seeker 2x4

sierraazuel, dh515 and Fishybuzz like this.
  3. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    X2. Have a couple 2x4's and trying the Viper 76 in less than two weeks. Definitely not the Phenix 700x3H...too soft for 100.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  4. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Would really like to try a Viper, but my 770XXH works for me.

Steve K and ironchucker like this.
  5. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Bill - The thing about the UC is the crazy lift they have. Recoil is super fast and the back end is huge. I fished the 770XXH for many years. Then I went to the 6463XXXH & 2x4 for 100#. I have a 7' Viper and I am having a 7'6" Viper being built right now. The lift just blows me away.

sierraazuel and Bill W like this.
  6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

I leave in January and had 2 new UC 76 Vipers wrapped, I am excited to try them out..... one of the give aways is a 76 Viper.......the 7' viper is a great rod also, I have used it with 35# of drag and it had some power left in the tank.

7. hydro

hydro Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    I wish
    I have a Mak 20Sea paired with a SS2x4. Very versatile cow combination in my opinion, I use it for both 100# and 130#.

Tony O'Connell and Fishybuzz like this.
  8. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Mr. Fishdog is very excited about the give away's! I am also hearing a bunch of the rods are staying on the boat and being fished for two trips in a row. There are some really hot sticks fishing the UC stuff right now someone is going to get a good one.

Bill - I can leave a rod with Derek if you want to try one out on your next trip.

9. raw66

raw66 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one
    Seeker OSP 2+4 7ft 3" rail rod 80-130 Drag rated rod 25-40.

10. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Thanks for the offer John. Kinda like to use my own gear. I have a Phenix 700 4XH suspect that is comparable to the Viper...

JohnTFT likes this.
  11. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    That 76 Viper is amazing. If you're on that trip and don't win one you might just find yourself buying one very soon. I love mine.

12. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

IMO the Phenix 4xh has a much stiffer tip section....that 4xh is a monster that you can fish 150# with.

Bill W likes this.
  13. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I'm building a new set of cow rail rods and went with the UC Viper in 7'6" and the Calstar 775XXH which is also 7'6"... the Viper will be coupled with a Mak 20SEa with 730 yards of 100lb solid and the 775XXH will have a 16SEa on it with 680 yards of 80lb solid... these will be my go to outfits for fly line sardine application fishing in cow town. Also have the more traditional Calstar 770XXH 7' rod coupled with a Mak SEa 20 that is filled with 730 yards of 100lb solid, but I prefer the longer rod for the fly line sardine gig as it enables you to get better casting distance via a gentle side or overhand cast or the underhand lob... and I found that the extra 6 inch length on the blank was more of a positive for me on the fighting end as well as I was able to have a 15.5 inch rear hypalon grip with an 18" front X-wrap (cold shrink) fore grip and still have plenty of rod extended past the rail with a BIG bend at strike-max drag setting. I'm 6'2" and have long arms so the longer rear grip allowed me to stand more up right in fighting stance with rod under my arm and then be able to use the outer lip of the rail to apply max pressure using a higher drag setting than most.

On my recent trip to the Lupe I fished a new UC Raptor in 7'6" that Randy made for me and it was perfect for the 60lb fly line sardine application, I was able to get a large butt hooked pen cured sardine out further away from the boat (beyond the pesky seals) and got bit pretty well considering the real slow pick bite we had with little to no current... landed a Lupe 121lb healthy (strong) YFT in about 25 minutes using this rod coupled with a Penn Torque 40NLD-2 spooled with 80lb solid to a 4ft 60lb fluoro leader... so I am expecting similar casting results with the UC Viper in 7'6" coupled with the Mac SEa 20 that also has excellent free spool similar to the Penn Torque 40NLD-2 (both are tall/narrow reels) used on the UC Raptor 7'6" its just larger overall and better suited for the 100lb string and the larger grade fish.

My 2 cents... your actual mileage may vary.

G

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  14. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Uc viper and uc viper. Have used both and like them very much. 2x4 and the axis 3x are nice rods also. Get with salty he will hook you up

15. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    For that role I use a Grafighter 775XXH. Really fine 100lb rod that gets too little pub.

Just remember, you're not going to whip a sardine 50 yards from the boat. It takes some practice, but I have had success lobbing a sardine well out. Bad news is, even then a scared sardine may swim back.

One reason why it's nice to have SOME current running...

Bill W likes this.
  16. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Hello Mike,

As you know, most of this is personal preference. I use a Mak 20 on a Calstar GF7465XH for 100 lbs. With gimbal and tip top is 6'8". I usually underhand lob with 100 lbs. I find this style very comfortable and effective. Sometimes a bait will not cooperate know matter how far you cast.

Time to change your bait!

- Jeff Burroughs

Rodless_Jim and NaplesJohn like this.
  17. fishdoggary

fishdoggary I do what I want Bitch!

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    We are bringing a UC 76 Viper and a UC 76 Invictus glow in the dark rail rods on the Westcoast trip on the Intrepid on January 9. These will be used for loaner rods on the trip and then raffled off to some lucky passengers!!!
    I will be fishing a MAK 20 on my 76 viper.
    I have been watching the development of these rods over last year and I truly believe the new United Composite Factory Rail Rods will the new standard of the industry for years to come.

18. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    X2

19. Atuna

Atuna Salt

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Whatever floats
    X3
    A year ago I bought my first one and just recently was lucky enough to get one of the first run of factory 76 Invictus. My 5th UC for now.
    19 days and 21 hours ...

fishdoggary and Fishybuzz like this.
  20. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    We had a lot of this happening on this last Lupe trip... we actually had jumbo size pen cured sardines (perfect cow fin bait) that actually swam better than the small macks we had (the macks we had were the weakest macs I have ever seen) and the dines simply got bit better... especially when they swam away from the boat! Trick was to get your dine out as far as possible from the boat on the initial cast so it got beyond the seals and made it more difficult for the bait to swim back under the boat (MUCH easier to do this with the longer 7'6" rail rod when fishing 80lb string and 60lb/80lb short fluoro leader IMO), the other real key to success was to "butt hook" your sardine so it swam down and away from the boat once back in the water (so a gentle slower swing overhand or side cast was key there and the longer rod with a soft tip worked well)... we had little to ZERO current for 2 of the 3 days we were there and the seals who were absolute experts at picking a bait off your hook were pretty thick at times as well.

G