Santa Rosalia

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
I will be heading to Santa Rosalia in late March. I'd like to hear opinions regarding where to cross over, Tecate of San Ysidro, and where to purchase the required documents.

From what I've been told this trip will take about 16 Hrs upon crossing into the Baja and driving at night is NOT recommended. Thoughts on where to spend the night and which banks and gas stations to use along the way?

And lastly, If anyone else is heading down late March and would like to travel together let me know.

Thanks for the input.

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
More info.

when you are leaving, first day fishing? Are you looking for a fishing partner?

1. buy pesos at the chula vista costco or san ysidro bl east of 805. Needs to say no commission. get mostly $200 notes for buying small things. $500 gas, room and fishing.

2. Gas, anywhere and use pesos. Tip10p pesos.

3. Cross at san ysidro and return via tecate.

4. spend the night in san quintin, el rosario or guerrero negro depending.

Reactions: Papa "J" and Vibora

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
Chico, thanks for the info.

Tentative departure on the 25th. I assume crossing earlier is best. I will have a partner coming with.

1. San Ysidro bl ??

2." Gas, anywhere and use pesos. Tip10p pesos"
Are you saying to tip 10 pesos to the gas attendant ?

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Google Map the freeway exits at are just prior to crossing into MEX and you'll see the exit he refers to. Lots of money exchanges on SY Blvd before you cross.
In MEX, they have attendants that pump your gas and clean your windows. They will tell you how much $$ gas your vehicle took. Those are the attendants he suggests tipping in addition to the cost of your gas.
You're smart to ask these questions now, even & especially the smallest of detail questions. Can save worries later. Might also do a "search" in this same forum to research others questions and answers.

Reactions: Vibora

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
I've been givin first hand information from others and researched on the web as well . The " Search" button is my friend.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge A good free flow of open source info is invaluable.

Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
The Marina in town is great and super cheap. Need TIP and proof of water insurance to get a slip. Good bait in front of break water before sun rise.

Reactions: yellowklr

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I've been givin first hand information from others and researched on the web as well . The " Search" button is my friend.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge A good free flow of open source info is invaluable.
Great time to take a trip.

Want to share something about Mex1. Do you know that you do not use your turn signal unless you are telling someone to pass or not to pass you? Left is saying that it's all clear and you can pass, right is saying don't pass.

Once back during the WFO wahoo bite in labocana, I was driving the mex1 north and passed a LB guy on the side of the road. I wanted to turn around and give him a hand and flipped a bitch south. While looking for a turn around heading south, I spot a u-turn, I turned on my left run signal and moved into the north bound lane. I was unaware that there was a large panel truck behind me, he took my turn signal as a signal to pass.

What followed is my belief in good karma,

I cut him off, because he was passing me at the time, and into the dirt on the east side of the highway. He went about 25 yards into the dirt and luckily it was smooth. When all the dust had cleared I pulled into the turn about, got out of the truck and was confronted by a very pissed off local and his crew.

So now he couldn't reverse out. Luckily I was able to undo the damage that I did and pulled him out of the dirt. He was cussing me in every word possible and I just stayed calm and thankful no one was killed. He suffered a little damage on the rear bar chigadera, but like most locals - they are not about calling the lawyers and don't sweat the little things.

I always try to safely help people on the road side.

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
We go to San Lucas Cove a lot since 1987. We like to cross the border early, drive leisurely to Guerrero Negro and spend the night at Hotel Maleremo. It is on the right hand side relatively quickly as you head into town. Great parking for a rig pulling a boat trailer and it has a nice big wall around it. Great little restaurant right there also for dinner that night and breakfast in the morning. Ask them what time the restaurant opens in the morning remembering that you crossed a time zone just north of there so your watch will jump ahead if you are on normal time. San Lucas Cove is only about a 4 hour drive across the desert from there. Don't drive at night, don't drive fast and pay attention on blind curves as sometimes big rigs will be in your lane partially sometimes as they go into those turns. I would have extra spare, spring and hardware to install if you are pulling a boat as sometimes your boat trailer is forced off the side of the road accidentally.

You should have great yellowtail fishing on surface iron that time of year. Follow the bird schools of the north end of San Marcos and have fun!

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
I am going to visit my father . Those of you that have spent time in San Lucas Cove my know him,, David " Deep Dave" Hughes. So of course he has passed along any info he felt was useful for the trip. I just wNted to reach out to folks here on BD for additional useful information. It's been 20 years since I last visited.

We will be using his boat, .a Robolo. I have a boat as well but I don't think I will bring it this time .Im bringing my brother in law for his first trip to that location.

I'm really looking forward to this trip as there is no better bonding time than father and son slaying Sea Beasts together on the ocean. The first time I went was definitely a learning experience. .

Fishing live bait in 70 ' of water out near San Marcos Island. I had an old Penn with 40 lb test. After getting rocked on my first four Jurel I finally had to beat down the star drag so I could land one of those pigs before they got into the rocks and busted off.

Once again , thanks for sharing your knowledge fellas. I will post an after action once we return.

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
I know Deep Dave well! Tell him Dwayne from San Diego and the rest of the San Diego Boys say hi. I heard from Craig , his neighbor, says the yellows are going off right now. Good luck and bring plenty of iron

DBN

Database Nazi
Apr 12, 2005
Anaheim Hills, Ca
Name
Steve
Boat
16 ft, Klamath
I also have met Deep Dave and his wife Martha. They are very friendly and generous people, the type that make up fond Baja memories...
Have a great trip!

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
Depends when you are able to leave in the morning as to where you stay. Hitting baja sur in one day isnt feasible for everyone. Cataviña has a pretty nice hotel if you cant hit your mark of guerrero negro. And if you really get a late start, el rosario would be an option before catavina. But that will make the next day a loooong drive. Last time I was in santa rosalia it was 113 degrees. Lots of good fishing around though from there, san bruno, punta chivato, mulege. Damn I need to go to mexico...

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
And to add, there is an ATM right next to the legendary bakery in town at santa rosalia.

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
Thanks for info. And kind words . We plan to cross very early. I spose TJ will be as easy as tecate at that time. Curious if the spring breakers will have any affect on traffic at that time.

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
Thanks for info. And kind words . We plan to cross very early. I spose TJ will be as easy as tecate at that time. Curious if the spring breakers will have any affect on traffic at that time.
With the amount of lanes they have at san ysidro, you will be stylin.

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
Right on!! Bajabound website has online FMM, insurance , etc. I've read all the reviews available . Mostly favorable. Any insight here. I'm aware Docs are available at the crossing.

Would I save anytime by online purchase?

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
Not really, you need to get it stamped at the border crossing to be legit even if you purchase online.

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
Yes the marina is pretty good there, there is a facility with bathrooms and showers as well if they are working. Are you reserving a dock? I had luck getting bait inside the marina along the back side corner . Good luck.