killerfin

You fight like a girl !!!
Sep 6, 2006
santa ana
Name
Felipe
Boat
Your Mama
Any one have any fishing reports from down there? Danny has not fished in the last 2 month due to him losing two fingers on his right hand. How are the roads going down south? Any info would be great ..
Thanks

LaTijereta

Hunter
May 25, 2011
South "O" y Loreto, BCS
Name
Kristian
Boat
22' Panga "La Tijereta"
If you are trailering a boat.. Be aware of the new road construction south of Santo Thomas down to Colonet.. Lots of "long" dirt detours along the way, that can get very muddy and slow if there has been rain in the area..
Below that the road is in great shape.. lots of activity around the Bolo Mine in Sta. Rosalia..
Sorry no reports on the fishing in the area...

Bajadeek

Mar 29, 2010
Loreto,B.C.S.Mexico
Name
Captain Pinchy
Boat
Mar y Cruz
We are a little further south( Loreto ) and fishing depends totally on the weather/wind.
The past ten days have been windy so not many trips on the water.
The yellowtail are starting to return to our typical high spots and a few amberjacks.
Bring jointed diving plugs like Rapalas/MirroLures. From 5 inches to 7 inches are productive close to shore . I have found the black top to light bellies work well around our shorelines. Cabrilla,pargo,sierra,roosters will hit these numbers.
Dorado are still around hitting small feathers,but not many.
Our live bait fish have changed from the big eye jacks to the mackerel. Some days the yellowtail prefer one over the other.

If you are driving down through the Tecate route you will have some road construction slowing on that stretch. Not a big deal just drive defensively more so than usual!
Have a great vacation!

PescadorJim

Aug 1, 2005
San Bruno, BCS (full time)
Name
Jim Anderson
Boat
21.5 Triumph / Moosea
Felipe, I write a weekly column and report for Santa Rosalia that is posted in Western Outdoor News.

Basically fishing has been really good all month and we are hoping that it will continue to have a strong showing throughout December.

I reported that we had a couple of guys show up who were kinda know it alls and they said that even though they had read a lot of my reports that I was missing the boat by recommending 50 to 60 pound line for the yellowtails on the reef, especially the 110 and surrounding areas. These guys said they would show me the next day how to land fish up to 35 pounds on 30 pound line and maybe one rig with a little 40. I just laughed and said I sure did look forward to learning from them and asked where they got all their yellowtail experience. They indicated that they normally fished Asuncion, Abreojos, and La Bocana. I said that I had landed 50 lb fish on the other side of the peninsula with 20 lb line but the fish over there did not run for the rocks and bottom in the same manner but they had their minds made up. So, I could hardly wait till the next morning and decided it might be fun to watch and see what was going to happen. I controlled my urges to go over and talk to them on number 8 breakoff even when you could hear the snap and see them falling backwards in the boat when they got cut off.

Rigo had a charter that day so he pulled up and asked how they were doing and they asked him where they might buy some line since they were seriously undergunned. He filled everything that night with 60 and 80 and the next day they managed to get a few to the boat. I know they could not believe they were getting worked that hard by 25 pound fish and the first one they landed I heard them telling each other they figured the fish for 50.

Bait is very good and is available just outside of San Lucas Cove.

We told Danny that he can only catch 8 fish a day now, cause that is all the fingers he has. He laughed.

wahoochaser2003

Trying to retire
Apr 24, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado Los Barriles BCS
Name
steve
Boat
20.5' center console panga "Miss Camila"
When you got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow. Hopefully those boys were humbled and learn from the experience. Humility, is often a hard pill to swallow. I would have loved to have been there. Heh Heh

killerfin

You fight like a girl !!!
Sep 6, 2006
santa ana
Name
Felipe
Boat
Your Mama
Hey jim thanks for the update and yes the yellowtails are mean in the sea of cortes side I made same mistake the frist time I went useing 25lb and 30lb test never again lol. I only take 50lb and 60lb and 40lb for surface jigs. I would of love to be there watching them get broken off . I will see you on Dec 21st I will be fishing with Rigo for a few days ,Do you need any thing from the states?

Felipe, I write a weekly column and report for Santa Rosalia that is posted in Western Outdoor News.

Basically fishing has been really good all month and we are hoping that it will continue to have a strong showing throughout December.

I reported that we had a couple of guys show up who were kinda know it alls and they said that even though they had read a lot of my reports that I was missing the boat by recommending 50 to 60 pound line for the yellowtails on the reef, especially the 110 and surrounding areas. These guys said they would show me the next day how to land fish up to 35 pounds on 30 pound line and maybe one rig with a little 40. I just laughed and said I sure did look forward to learning from them and asked where they got all their yellowtail experience. They indicated that they normally fished Asuncion, Abreojos, and La Bocana. I said that I had landed 50 lb fish on the other side of the peninsula with 20 lb line but the fish over there did not run for the rocks and bottom in the same manner but they had their minds made up. So, I could hardly wait till the next morning and decided it might be fun to watch and see what was going to happen. I controlled my urges to go over and talk to them on number 8 breakoff even when you could hear the snap and see them falling backwards in the boat when they got cut off.

Rigo had a charter that day so he pulled up and asked how they were doing and they asked him where they might buy some line since they were seriously undergunned. He filled everything that night with 60 and 80 and the next day they managed to get a few to the boat. I know they could not believe they were getting worked that hard by 25 pound fish and the first one they landed I heard them telling each other they figured the fish for 50.

Bait is very good and is available just outside of San Lucas Cove.

We told Danny that he can only catch 8 fish a day now, cause that is all the fingers he has. He laughed.

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner

When they can get in the rocks they are brutal! The first time I fished for yellowtail, we were hooking yt and big pargo lisa near Muertos Bay. I managed to farm almost every hookup using 40 pound when they would power for the rocks. When I would hook up the guide would yell "REEL REEL REEL!" which is kinda hard when the fish is taking drag and the rod is pinned to the rail:rofl: When I would try and tighten the drag he would stop me (?) Never understood that and would have ignored him with a little more experience. I have since had better luck, but only by locking the drag and turning the fish instantly--otherwise they were gone into their holes...