Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
With fishing in long beach being slow, my crew and I decided to shoot up to Santa Rosa island part of the Channel Islabd Chain.

Got up at 2:15, left the house by 2:45 and made it up to Ventura approx 4:00am. By 4:30 we were baited up and on the way to Rosa. By 6::30 we had arrived at the island. We had first started off fishing deep in the kelp line on the southern end of the island. Fished that for about an hour hoping maybe for a stray white sea bass or yellowtail. Unfortunately we were not that lucky so by 7:30 we had shot out to the rockcod zone and that’s where the fun began. We fished maybe 5 spots all day and ended off with 20 vermillion(limits) 14 copper, and 3 boccaccio. Also had 3 lingcod(short), and another dozen or so rockcod of various species. Everything worked, slow pitch was of course my favorite, but dropper loop was productive as usual.

Key tips:
Chunk your squid, up there if you find the fish they are all cookie cutter size, so you generally won’t need a whole squid
Some of the better colors were all silver, and a blue green sardine color.
Thanks,
Logan
61FB729D-0425-4689-BF0B-E0FC20F0C14A.jpeg
1043801C-3272-4972-A14C-0577C954C462.jpeg
19C52AC3-BE4C-41E1-8D81-77859091F0E7.jpeg
3080C44C-2B84-4B9B-964A-D2559FEDAA74.jpeg

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    With fishing in long beach being slow, my crew and I decided to shoot up to Santa Rosa island part of the Channel Islabd Chain.

Got up at 2:15, left the house by 2:45 and made it up to Ventura approx 4:00am. By 4:30 we were baited up and on the way to Rosa. By 6::30 we had arrived at the island. We had first started off fishing deep in the kelp line on the southern end of the island. Fished that for about an hour hoping maybe for a stray white sea bass or yellowtail. Unfortunately we were not that lucky so by 7:30 we had shot out to the rockcod zone and that’s where the fun began. We fished maybe 5 spots all day and ended off with 20 vermillion(limits) 14 copper, and 3 boccaccio. Also had 3 lingcod(short), and another dozen or so rockcod of various species. Everything worked, slow pitch was of course my favorite, but dropper loop was productive as usual.

Key tips:
    Chunk your squid, up there if you find the fish they are all cookie cutter size, so you generally won’t need a whole squid
    Some of the better colors were all silver, and a blue green sardine color.
    Thanks,
    LoganView attachment 1287250View attachment 1287251View attachment 1287252View attachment 1287253
    Nice mix!

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
    Jul 25, 2009
    Hell, CA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    20' Beachcraft Cuddy
    "By 4:30 we were baited up and on the way to Rosa."
    What kind of bait were you getting that early in the morning and from where?

Tugboat64
    Tugboat64
    Sardine out of Cisco’s or Channel island sportfishing, The guy running the bait barge was super cool
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    What kind of bait were you getting that early in the morning and from where?
    Not out out Ventura he isnt....CI perhaps.

Reactions: Tugboat64
    Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
    Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Got my bait from Cisco’s or channel island sportfishing. The sportboats were loading up sardines along with a couple of other private boaters

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
    Southern ca
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    always upgrading
    What kind of bait were you getting that early in the morning and from wher
    That's what I'm wondering. Waited many a morning to get live bait at Ventura....sucks.
    Logan, We got bait and launched from Channel Island Harbor and Sportfishing.. Not Vebtura. its my bag, i always tell him we are fishing out of Venture when its really Oxnard.

Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
    Southern ca
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    always upgrading
    Got my bait from Cisco’s or channel island sportfishing. The sportboats were loading up sardines along with a couple of other private boaters
    Channel Islands is in Oxnard not Ventura.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    FEEEEEEEEEESH

Upvote 0