Utterly Wet

Missy's Bitch
Jul 7, 2017
Pasadena
Name
Greg
Boat
Parker 2310
Left Channel Islands Harbor Saturday morning 12/8 heading for Santa Rosa. Headed about 4.7 miles south of Ford pt. Started fishing about 10:30 am. Missy has to start with first Ling (ladies first I guess). All fish caught on iron (ahi assult, cheap rockfish irons, etc.8-12oz) with teaser above. Iron and teasers were tipped with frozen baby octopus strips to start then tipped with mackerel and baby rochfish fillet strips (by catch). Most catches were doubles. Lings were 24" to 26". Reds ran 3 to 6 lbs. Around 2:30 pm we left to look for squid. Eagles Nest had none so headed to Christy's at Santa Cruz. Missy jigged up a few squid while I cleaned our catch. 10:30 pm moved a bit north to Forney's squid ground. Metered and caught a few. Time for a nap. Sunday 1:30 am got up and turned on spreader and under water bait lights. Less than a minute later squid were up thick enough to walk on. Posted a video on fishing chit chat since picture doesn't do it justice (neither does video). I haven't seen in a float like this in about 15 years, first huge float for Missy. It was a blast for her seeing something like this (she has seen lots of floats but, none that even closely compared). Sunday morning tried for WSB with all the squid but had no luck. We then decided to run down the front side of Santa Cruz on our way back for some catch and release Calicos. then tried one last ditch effort at Chinese harbor for WSB or Halibut with no glory.

Location.jpg Double Reds.jpg Catch.jpg Bait float.jpg Making bait.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Glad you had a good day. We were out on Saturday to, and did a lap around Santa Cruz Island for one short lingcod, one small school of Starie's, LOTS of white fish, and one mystery fish that came up like a halibut but after about ten seconds made its way from the left side of the boat to the right and started making the reel scream then broke off. (Any ideas? Big homeguard yellow? Big blue shark? Big freaking lingcod?)

Upvote 0

Utterly Wet

Missy's Bitch
Jul 7, 2017
Pasadena
Name
Greg
Boat
Parker 2310
Glad you had a good day. We were out on Saturday to, and did a lap around Santa Cruz Island for one short lingcod, one small school of Starie's, LOTS of white fish, and one mystery fish that came up like a halibut but after about ten seconds made its way from the left side of the boat to the right and started making the reel scream then broke off. (Any ideas? Big homeguard yellow? Big blue shark? Big freaking lingcod?)
Depends on where you were at. Happens a lot at Anacapa and CRUZ. Used to bring out heavier gear (85# braid w/60# leader) when we'd run into areas like that to see what was down there. Almost always turn out to be BSB. Have caught 125#+ in only around 40' of water and they can be found much deeper.
Now when we run into this situation we usually leave the area. Takes way to long and need to much weight to safely re-descend.

Reactions: jscott
Upvote 0