Santa Rosa Island Chucklehead and Lings 12/15/13

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by SeaHawk IV, Dec 17, 2013.

1. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Got some info from Fishdope which was helpful in where to fish.

Launched out of Ventura for the first time. Very small parking lot. Hopefully it will get redesigned with a better layout when they break ground on January 6. It will reopen sometime in May 2014.

Anyway, back to the fish report. Headed out of the harbor at about 5AM. At the mouth of the harbor entrance, Anchovies and/or Sardines were very active breezing around our lit boat. Saw some squid on the surface around several floating kelp. Didn't bring the squid gear so we stayed on track heading to Santa Rosa Island. The moon lit up the ocean enough for us to cruise at 23 MPH. About four miles out, we were able to see Santa Cruz and Anacapa. Right before arriving to the Santa Rosa/Santa Cruz Gap, it was socked in with a thick wall of low lying fog to about halfway through the gap heading to Beechers Bay. After making it through the fog, we were greeted with a lot of life around the area. Saw several humpbacks and grey whales, and hundreds of dolphins feeding at the surface. Lots of seagulls hanging out on the water near Beechers Bay kelp line. Saw a few boats out there but did not notice anybody tugging on fish. Conditions was smooth with winds under 7MPH.

We found our honey hole at about 11:40AM. We drifted this spot several times and got our RF limits for three of us. It was non stop action on Chuckleheads, and Lingcods. We threw back quite a few barely short lingcods. The biggest lingcod weighed about 9 pounds and jackpot on the rockfish was a Vermillion close to 6 pounds. Also landed my personal best Cabazon weighing in about 6 pounds. Many of the RF was in the 3-5 pound range. Left the fish biting at about 2:15 to head back. Cruised back the entire way doing 25-30MPH in light wind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    That's quite a haul,WTG,

Cya Tuna Vic

3. choodak

choodak Newbie

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    22' Anacapri
    SSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!! we dont want the rest of socal going up there and raping another awesome island. haha. great haul. that is a gorgeous place to fish.

4. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Too late! What did you use for bait?

5. SeaHawk IV

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    This is my third time fishing this island on my small skiff. I only have three honey holes; one from each trip. Every trip so far, I've scouted the area for fishy spots. If I could find fish that easily, I'm sure there is plenty to go around since I'm a bit clueless. LOL But I agree with you, fishing at the Channel Islands is quite refreshing compared to inshore fishing. Every trip is like going on a National Geographic adventure but without a narrator. Love fishing at any of our local islands.

6. SeaHawk IV

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whole fresh dead squid that was properly frozen was the choice of bait. Many of the RF was plugged with squid and some had empty bellies. Strip squid worked but only produced the smaller fish. I had a 6 pound ling and a 5 pound RF on a double dropper loop that was running on me with drags set about 15 pounds. At the end of the day, I was yo yo'ing a heavy Jacks jig with three whole squid pinned on and getting slammed in less than three minutes every time. It was definitely a fun day out there as majority of these RF put up a strong fight on light tackle.

Good luck if you can make it out there before the season closes.

7. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    A very nice rack of fish there, congrats. Enjoy the fish tacos. What depths were you fishing?