Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
  • Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Launched out of Ventura at 5:30 to make the 2 hour boat ride over to Santa Rosa. Decided to skip bait, squid, shrimp, and jigs were the only bait used. Hopped for some mackerel to use for lings but that never happened. Got to Rosa at about 8:00 and started searching for rock piles. Weather was a little bumpier in the morning than expected but flattened out once we hit santa cruz as expected. We started searching in about 260-300 foot of water and had promising structures on the meter. On our first drop, we had wide open 18-22 inch coppers, all you wanted. With an occasion 19 inch vermillion. After 2 hours of constant copper and vermillion fishing. I go to make another drop and hook up, with what feels like a much better grade fish. When it comes up, its another good sized copper with a ling attached to it. After fishing for rockcod for a couple of hours, we ran close to shore to fish for bass. Not even 5 minutes and we see the DFG or I guess up there it's called "Park Ranger" for the Channel islands. He just asked for the basics, what we caught, licenses, ocean enhancement stickers. It was just one guy on the boat who came and checked us, he didn't even hop on our boat. By then it was 1:30 and he told us weather was going to come up about 4 so we called the day and made the venture in. From the center of the back end of Santa Rosa towards Ventura, the water was lake flat glass so we cruised at 32 mph the whole way home which put us ahead of schedule.

On this trip, I wanted to try my own slow pitch jigging rod and reel with jig. I used a Penn Fathom 15ld2 with 40lb braid and 30lb mono top shot and it performed flawlessly. The overall set up worked nice and apparently worked. 99% of the fish caught were on solid jig, no squid or anything. I never had much luck using it for tuna but apparently it works extremely well for bottom species.

Keynotes:
    All fish sizes were out and playing but in order to get the big ones to bite you needed a jig. We dropped dropper loops and got smaller fish such as starries.
    610FCDF7-10A6-4FF4-8791-10880D412324.jpeg
    4344BE64-0892-4883-AA8C-6835D73318F9.jpeg
    F75600A2-B171-4DDA-9483-87EFAC9CEEE6.jpeg
    6511E494-9193-44B1-B98B-E8941013B90E.jpeg
    4DE0FD88-F82F-4508-9D46-E80FA2C4B559.jpeg
    15BB2CC2-4631-427F-8570-82758DA9A3F3.jpeg
    63533A3A-A175-43F9-BFAD-6EDFC9B9658C.jpeg
    EDDE6B85-DDDD-44DD-9138-69B873BA9A9E.jpeg
    2DD11EEE-B2EE-471B-B16C-E2DEB03EF67C.jpeg
    DFC10588-D69B-4B84-BA83-0CEB3AFEFFE6.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tugboat64

• Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Those are some fat coppers . Looks like a fun day .

I really want to trailer up that way and fish that area one day .

Pretty incredible amount of areas we all have to fish within a few hour drive.

Its why I can't leave this goofy state of CA.
    Thats how I'm sitting lol, fishing is one of the things keep my family here.. The drive up there isn't to bad, just have to leave earlier. The worst part is just the 2 hour drive to the island from shore, which isn't so bad because you get the protection of the weather from the islands.

Reactions: soul troller
    Upvote 0

FishingFiend

Almost A Member
    Nov 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Name
    FishingFiend
    Boat
    Cayman 226
    Thanks for the report! What boat were you in? I'm sure we were near you. We were the only bay boat in the area and only saw a few other boats. We even had the same Park Ranger ask us for our Fishing License and the cost of the Ocean Enhancement stamp. LOL

We fished in 165' of water for Lings and Reds. If we got too shallow, the blue bass were out of control. I was also out there testing my Slow Pitch setup and had a great time learning this technique. However, the large swimbaits (7-8") definitely caught larger Reds on our trip. Weather looks good, may try again this weekend.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

• Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Thanks for the report! What boat were you in? I'm sure we were near you. We were the only bay boat in the area and only saw a few other boats. We even had the same Park Ranger ask us for our Fishing License and the cost of the Ocean Enhancement stamp. LOL

We fished in 165' of water for Lings and Reds. If we got too shallow, the blue bass were out of control. I was also out there testing my Slow Pitch setup and had a great time learning this technique. However, the large swimbaits (7-8") definitely caught larger Reds on our trip. Weather looks good, may try again this weekend.
    I was in a 22ft defiance, I was on the back end, not sure where about you were

Upvote 0

FishingFiend

Almost A Member
    Nov 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Name
    FishingFiend
    Boat
    Cayman 226
    Nope, don't recall seeing a 22' Defiance out there. We were around the Carrington MPA area. On a side note, we left Rosa around 4pm for a glass ride back. The afternoon winds the Ranger warned of, did not happen.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

• Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Nope, don't recall seeing a 22' Defiance out there. We were around the Carrington MPA area. On a side note, we left Rosa around 4pm for a glass ride back. The afternoon winds the Ranger warned of, did not happen.
    We were on the back end of Rosa, the side of the island facing catalina, santa barabara,etc.. Yeah we left a little before 2, but we already had a good load of cod so why kill more than we would take

Upvote 0

fishin_kid

Almost A Member
    Sep 5, 2012
    riverside
    Name
    David
    Boat
    nada

How large of a swimbait head were you using? Planning on making a trip up there soon.

Upvote 0

FishingFiend

Almost A Member
    Nov 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Name
    FishingFiend
    Boat
    Cayman 226
    At 165' and decent current, we were able to get away with 4oz leadheads and 7-8" Zmans. Hopefully you'll have good weather and calms seas too!

Upvote 0