Islands Santa Rosa 7/10

fullclip

• May 15, 2008
    Upland ca
    Name
    jeremy
    Boat
    Mushroom 26 prosport
    Arrived to my spot on Friday night. Jigged some live squid then set out lights at dark squid came up however I have never had them float. I managed to trick a few squid into the net as they were running for their lives from the seals. I am using 4’ hydro glow light. Made a hundred or so baits. In the am awoke to 4 overnight boats parked around us. No luck for any boats in our area on gamefish. Moved up the line got sone white fish calico bass and sheaphead on live squid. Decided to fill the bags with rockfish out deep using dropper loops. Caught a mixed bag of olive rockfish reds and chuckle heads. Came back inside for a couple halibut drifts. Managed one small fish I thought was a sole however if it was a halibut it would have been short. We elected to release it as we weren’t 100 percent on identification. Let me know what you think it was.

321F863B-2CC5-4F94-BFF4-0D08C7CBC6A9.jpeg

Plants guy

Sep 25, 2014
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Striper and Luhrs
    Arrived to my spot on Friday night. Jigged some live squid then set out lights at dark squid came up however I have never had them float. I managed to trick a few squid into the net as they were running for their lives from the seals. I am using 4’ hydro glow light. Made a hundred or so baits. In the am awoke to 4 overnight boats parked around us. No luck for any boats in our area on gamefish. Moved up the line got sone white fish calico bass and sheaphead on live squid. Decided to fill the bags with rockfish out deep using dropper loops. Caught a mixed bag of olive rockfish reds and chuckle heads. Came back inside for a couple halibut drifts. Managed one small fish I thought was a sole however if it was a halibut it would have been short. We elected to release it as we weren’t 100 percent on identification. Let me know what you think it was.

View attachment 1298058

Halibut usually have a forked tail. I believe this is flounder/sole

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Sooooooooooooooooul!

Train.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    Good eating is what that is

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Field guides say they eat small crustaceans. I've gotten them on scampis or, usually, whole squid. Redouble your efforts at halibut when you find fantails--often in the same place. DFG tried to cite a buddy and me for short halibut one time we had kept some of these. We pulled out our book and showed him. Crisis averted.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0