Santa Monica Bay Solo Halibut

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Cash Money, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Cash Money

Cash Money Cash Money

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    Cash Money
    With the three day weekend upon us I was looking forward to some fishing. Headed to the boat Thursday night and the plan was to head out and drift for Halibut. With the high tide late in the afternoon I wasn't in a real rush to get out there. I figured it would be a long day of drifting for not much until it got closer to the tide change. Most of my fish have been caught around the tide swing. With no bait to buy in the marina anymore it is all about finding bait. I have been pretty lucky getting bait pretty fast. I decided to skip my normal bait spot and head to the grounds to see if I could find a school closer to the fishing. I metered around and found a little spot. Caught 4 green mackerel. Put two lines out as I usually do and continued to try and catch bait. About ten minutes into my drift one of my lines gets a bite. I had to quickly reel in the Sabiki and grab the rod. The fish was still there and I let it eat and set the hook. That awesome solid feeling was there for about a second then nothing. I couldn't believe I missed the fish. I let it sit there for a few seconds but nothing so I decided to check the bait. Started reeling it in and when it got about 10 feet from the boat I could see the Halibut chasing the bait all the way to the surface. I stopped and watched this fish inhale the bait and take off for the bottom. Just an awesome sight. Definitely hooked up now and the fight was on. I knew it was a pretty good fish so I took my time. Since I was fishing alone the gaffing of the fish is always the fun part. The fish made a couple of pretty good runs then I was making progress. While fighting the fish I had to get the gaff ready. I finally got the fish to the surface and it laid perfectly flat. Rod in one hand in free spool and the gaff in the other hand I was able to get a perfect gaff shot right behind the head. Up and on the deck. The fish was totally calm which was a first. I noticed the gaff shot had opened a pretty good hole and the fish seemed almost dead. After a bunch of unsuccessful trips this year it was awesome to get a good fish finally. A boat buddy of mine that was drifting close by came over to let me use his scale and take some pictures. When I held her up to show him she went ballistic. I guess she wasn't quite dead yet. She went about 35 pounds. Thanks Jeff for the help. Fished a couple of more hours for one more bite that didn't stick. Looking forward to the next one.

20140704_125953 (2).jpeg

2014-07-04 14.17.14.jpg

20140706_193044.jpg

2. Red Drum

Red Drum Paradiddle-diddle

Name:
    Capt. Vinnie
    Boat:
    Big Drum-2300 Seaswirl Striper...Red Drum-1500 Duroboat
    Steve,

Thanks for taking me and Jason out fishing on Saturday, we a nice time on the Cach Money, eventhough we didn't get a Halibut...maybe next time. Thanks for the Halibut fillet, had it for dinner tonight...love it!

sbora likes this.
  3. Cash Money

Cash Money Cash Money

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    Cash Money
    It was great to have you and Jason on the boat finally. I don't think Jacques Cousteau could have found fish in those conditions. We will have to try again in better conditions.

4. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    As Vince said, thanks for a nice day on your boat!

Best thing about a slow trip is it only gets better after that. :hali_olutta:

j

sbora likes this.
  5. Vibora

Vibora Member

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    Yes
    Nice fish !
    Nice chow on the BBQ .
    Side note : for added awesomeness on the BBQ corn . Mix equal parts , sour cream , butter, ( I prefer " I guess it ain't butter") and Tapatio to taste.

sbora likes this.
  6. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR

Should have fished the makos they are THICK in the Bay right now. Had over 25 between Lou and I over the long weekend. Most are smaller 40 to 60 but bigger fish are around. Took a 72" fish on Friday.

Let's hook up soon.

NoLDR

Brad

sbora likes this.
  7. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Congrats again Stephen! Wish I had been there to see that fish eat right at the boat. Great shot of you holding the fish on the water and your awesome Blackfin.

sbora likes this.
  8. Andrew Kovach

Andrew Kovach Newbie

Name:
    Key West
    Boat:
    20 foot CC
    I like your post!

9. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Very nice fish!!! Congrats, I can only imagine looking down and seeing that big mouth open up!!!

sbora likes this.
  10. GregAndrew

GregAndrew Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    T15 Kayak
    Had a similar experience a few weeks ago, also in SM Bay. Had a Butt follow my bait up to about 30 feet off the bottom before striking. IDK if it had something to do with the conditions or not, but it was almost lightless at 85 feet (where I was fishing)? Gotta love Halibut Surprise though!

11. dorado50

dorado50 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    DAVID
    Boat:
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    the fish don't stoke me but the Blackfin rocks.............

sbora likes this.
  12. docupat

docupat Just one of the crew!

Name:
    PL
    Boat:
    A Classic
    Nice catch. You are becoming pretty "fishy" as of late. Rig looks great.

sbora likes this.
  13. jbday

jbday barney kook

Name:
    jday
    Boat:
    "Anotherday" 25 ft sea vee
    Nice Steve! Would have love to see it eat next to the boat that sounds amazing!

sbora likes this.
  14. Sgtsilbaugh

Sgtsilbaugh "Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    qajaq
    That's awesome, sweet fish. I'm a newbie, and got my first legal butt two weeks ago. I went out for rockies, and after four hours and two little reds, I headed into the harbor. Started throwing around the big hammer 5" on a 1 oz war bait. The water was crystal clear, so I was changing up my retrieve speed to see the action and all of a sudden, within a foot from from kayak, a halibut came up from behind me and inhaled my swim bait. Surprised the hell out of me.

They're one aggressive predator fish!!!

karlk1125 and sbora like this.