Watch Our YouTube Like & Subscribe
  • Oct 23, 2020
    MDR
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fishing for Memories
    Boat
    Parker 2120
    Has anyone else been noticing that fishing for rockfish in SMB has been slower this year than the past couple of years? Just my observations... Who knows... Maybe it's just my luck. Have had great success in the past years, just feels different this year.
    I'm not talking about the recently opened areas but about the usual banks and stones that you skip around to and eventually find a "bigger-grade" biting school.
    The "bigger" fish just seem to be tight-lipped. Been able to have a good sessions but mostly just scratching it out. The whitefish seem to be plentiful and hungry.
    Are they just filling up on all the bait and clear sea cucumber-looking things out there? Or am I missing something.
    I'm open to any tips for future trips if anyone would be kind to share some advice on technique and or etc. Not asking for spots.

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    If your wondering where all the cods went just watch del rey's sportboat count . It's damn near all they target year round anymore
    The bass have all but disappeared, the cuda haven't really showed up in numbers and even the sculpin in the muds have gotten too small to fish. Nothing else to target.

• Sad
    Reactions: CCR and Omarkayak

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    The bass have all but disappeared, the cuda haven't really showed up in numbers and even the sculpin in the muds have gotten too small to fish. Nothing else to target.
    I was still ripping them up on the reefs last year during lobster season . 5 bass on the filet table aren't worth as much to a deckhand as 10 cods . If you know the bay the bass are still there and their large .

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Aug 21, 2020
    Burbank, California
    Name
    Harry karaoglanian
    Boat
    Tiara 3900 open
    Coastal fishing is usually ass. SMB is even worse. You got 3-4 sport boats that go 3-4 times a day out to the same spot, same bank, and knock out rockfish every. Single. Day. The good fishing was pt. Dume, then they closed that.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Ever since the El Nino last year, The cod fishing in the Santa Monica Bay has been way down, Shitty and a waste of time and money looking for them.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    If your wondering where all the cods went just watch del rey's sportboat count . It's damn near all they target year round anymore .
    Plus Redondo!

Likewise, seems like most Kayakers outta King Harbor are after a stack of cods. Nothing like the landing, though.

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    I'm a guess conditions are a bit on the marginal side this year. Every time water improves or temps start to perk, seems like an upwelling event comes along. Kinda been that way forever, though, but usually a little more consistently favorable once the summer gets going. Couple halibut seem to be showing up again, which could be promising. They were pretty thick for awhile then appeared to almost vanish. Seems like whitefish are on a rampage in a lot of areas this year, but the bay has fewer than elsewhere.

Bay and surroundings used to support quite a few more sportboats years ago. Two separate half day boats, a 3/4 day, and barge at Redondo; at least one half day boat and a 3/4 day plus the Betty-O who traditionally fished "rockcod" at del Rey; probably one half day and one 3/4 day boat plus a barge at one time at Santa Monnie; a half day and a 3/4 day boat at Malibu; a half day and/or a 3/4 day boat at Paradise Cove, plus a barge at one time there too. I remember catching almost nothing but a number of olive rockfish in the north part of the bay a couple years, even in summer (along with a couple nice bonito). I think there may even have been a boat out of Hermosa Pier at one point.

"We'd live the life we choose, we thought we'd never lose, but we young and chose to have our way"--Those Were the Days, sung by Mary Hopkins, 1968, (had to look that one up because I couldn't remember who did it, haha. I did remember the lyric segment though, more or less). There's the old guy emoticon, found it... 🧓

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    Fukushima has given a new glow to the sea life in the pacific. Millions of extra people in the greater LA/OC area washing tons of toxins into the ocean with every heavy rain (Lawns, driveway, commercial property spills). I’m pretty sure the pollution kills more sea life then the fishermen can. Ballona Creek and Marina Del Rey are so toxic the signs tell you not to eat the fish.
    Back in the 80’s I used to surf Dockweiler and there were days we would try to splash away the crazy colored chemicals floating in the water (Standard Oil, illegal dumping?). There is a reason the water in the bay is brown instead of clear.

I would like to be clear, it’s not the sport fishermen’s fault.

Upvote 0