Santa Cruz Marlin

dpflaumer

May 30, 2011
Ventura, CA
Name
Doug P
Boat
32 Luhrs
Probably going to be a lot of posts about the amazing blitz of marlin today. It is unbelievable to me the amount of quality fish we are seeing in our waters. It was hook-ups galore today all around us.

We live lined mackerels and hooked up 5 times today, we were just outside of Yellow Banks with the fleet.

No YFT, I'm not complaining.

release1 (2).jpg

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
Bob, we got Spanish Macks at Gina and got bit on one of those. The green back macks were out on the fishing grounds in big schools, breaking the surface and easily marked.
Greenies have been thick out there for most of the season. Find the bait, find the fish.

Wild West

Wild West
Aug 7, 2003
Ventura
Visit site
Name
Bob
Boat
25 Skipjack SC
Thanks for the mack info. I'd think the yellowfin are on them too. Anyone been getting yft on the macks? Btw, I've heard that fish to 70lbs were caught down at the Oz yesterday - hope some of those bigger fish filter up our way...

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Simply incredible, and so close to the island! 5 legitimate hookups in one day means you guys were in them thick, I suspect nobody was bored today.

Almost makes me want to try fishing them, especially since the yellows are MIA and the yft are playing hard to get.

Reactions: dpflaumer

Andrey320

Well-Known "Member"
May 8, 2013
Calabasas
Name
Andrey
Boat
Boston Whaler Dauntless 15
Awesome Doug!
Never thought I'd be saying this (and may never get to again...) but it was a wide-open Marlin bite yesterday....

dpflaumer

May 30, 2011
Ventura, CA
Name
Doug P
Boat
32 Luhrs
Once in life time thing for 5 weeks now
5 hook ups in one day on the backside of Santa Cruz is most likely not gonna happen for me again. Haven't read reports about action that fast and furious like Sunday. Guys have been picking up fish lately but everywhere you looked on Sunday fish were tail walking.

fishin83

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 1, 2013
oxnard
Name
HB
Boat
21' cc
I was there on Sunday as well. Simply unreal. There are good marlin bites, and then their are unbelievable bites like this one. At one point I counted 10 boats hooked up. We got bit and got straight smoked in less than 30 seconds on one rod. Other rod went off, and hooked fish started tailwalking 10 ft from the boat. Hour later and about 4 miles away, we had a clean release. Absolutely crazy day. Fish were Def not boat shy with all the trolling going on in about a half Sq mile right before it went wide.

Loboinventura

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 17, 2009
Santa Barbara
Name
Wayne Mills
Boat
26 Wilson
5 hook ups in one day on the backside of Santa Cruz is most likely not gonna happen for me again. Haven't read reports about action that fast and furious like Sunday. Guys have been picking up fish lately but everywhere you looked on Sunday fish were tail walking.
Was like that last week too different location
I will say again it has been like that for 5 weeks now. Just different areas on acpa and cruz plus the flats at rosa. Same action just not as many boats. 4 to 5 Marlin tournaments have been fished this year and I think all the wins have come from the 805 area.

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
I knew it was going to be tough . At sunrise a flock of gulls left smugglers cove to go look at the yellow banks tuna/marlin area . We followed them there . They looked around for 10 minutes , then they all flew away to look somewhere else . Not a good sign .