Santa Cruz 8/6

Discussion in 'Northern California Fishing Reports' started by hanahou7, Aug 8, 2017.

1. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter
    Launched out of Santa Cruz on Sunday with my dad and a friend. Boat in the water around 6:45am and dropped a couple Sabiki rigs to pick up some anchovies for live bait. Got the bait in our tank and shot over to Natural Bridges around 7:30am. Drifted live anchovies and squid for 10 rockfish (mix of blacks, vermillions and blues) and a 27" Ling. Also caught 2 undersized lings.

My friend caught the Lingcod on a live anchovy and I was glad he did since he hadn't caught a keeper fish in over 10 yrs haha. He was feelin a bit sea sick and his pole got slammed and was bent over, so I yelled at him to pick it up. Picks it up and sets the hook: a few mins later, he has his nice 27" ling thats a nice blue color.

Around 11am we decided to try and target halibut instead, so moved over to Mile Buoy. Didn't get any halibut and the wind came up around 1pm. Wasn't anything too bad, but we decided to call it at 2:30 and headed in.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on fishing for White Sea Bass. My dad really wants to hook into one but I've never fished for them. I understand they like squid, and are usually caught in the top 10 ft of the water column. However, is there a particular time of year they show up? I recalls someone saying during the Fall Squid Spawn, which I guess is like Sept-November? If anyone has any advice/ tips, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Lived in capitola for a little while but never has the chance to fish seabass up there ...
    In the summer down here slow trolling macks just outside the kelp line on 40 lb is super effective ..
    They tend to cruise on the kelpline in small groups and will also eat a well placed iron when you see em pushin water ....

Tifoso and hanahou7 like this.
  3. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter
    Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Do you use downriggers and weights to troll, or do you just free line it?

4. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    No sinker .. just slow troll and your mackerel will tell you when it's about to happen...

hanahou7 likes this.
  5. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Not sure about how the bite up there but in socal we catch right on the bottom on squid beds. Use a solid white salas jig pin a live squid or two on. Bounce the bottom.

hanahou7 likes this.
  6. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Several years ago I was on an open party trip out of hmb on the New Captain Pete on Labor Day. Captain Dennis Baxter had originally advertised it as a salmon rockfish combo but when we were all getting briefed, he said he was interested in trying to get seabass instead of salmon after we got rockfish limits. We took all day to get rockfish limits because of the swell, then he headed back to the harbor to drop off most of the passengers and we went back out. Only like 6 of us went back out. There were some squid boats down past martins beach that we went and set up by. We had fresh dead squid, and Dennis and his son Braden put out a sea anchor near the squid boats and we got about 45 minutes of drift fishing in as the sun was setting. We were all using some pre-tied reverse dropper loop setups that Dennis supplied us with, and about half of us got bit in a 5-10 minute interval, but all of the terminal tackle failed at the perfection loops tied to the hooks. But at least we all got bit. We were drifting near the squid boats, reels in freespool with the clicker on, weight just grazing the bottom. Of course we never saw any of the fish that broke off, but if I had a boat, I think that's how I'd be targeting them... but with a cut spider hitch to a San Diego knot and a 5/0 or bigger hook.

hanahou7 likes this.
  7. Tifoso

Tifoso Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    yes
    Thanks a lot! On my "to catch" list.

8. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    dropper loop about 4-5 feet above the sinker with a big hook and a couple squid on 2 rods, balloon rig with a small sliding sinker above a big hook fished at 20 feet and 40 feet below the balloon, white/glow heavy jig with squid bounced off the bottom, 1/2 ounce egg sinker with big hook and a couple squid fished slowly through the column...

read some of Brandon Hayward or Mark Wisch's stuff. Seabees fishing is all about conditions, if the conditions are right, your on the bait, fish are in the area, then its pretty easy fishing. can be lots of waiting but the bonus is you can pretty much put everything in the rod holder and fish them in gear. leadhead and squid or sliding sinker and squid for when you get bored of drinking beer...

another tactic that works is a big ass Krocodile with a mackerel pinned on through the back below a balloon, sounds lame but it works, especially when they are keyed in on fin bait or you don't have squid available.

Google is your friend as is YouTube

captcrook and hanahou7 like this.
  9. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter

That sounds awesome and definitely helpful. I really appreciate it. Thank you for sharing!

esgeo likes this.
  10. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter

Thank you for the tips! Yes, I've been watching tons of YouTube videos and found a lot of stuff from SoCal. Just wasn't sure what guys here in the NorCal do or if it should all work in theory. Thank you for the help!

11. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    You want bass? Find the squid.

Make that your first goal. Learning to find squid on your own. Identify on sonar and catch it.

By a squid gangion. Just like a sabiki but for squid. Catch as many as you can. Fish what you can. Vac freeze the rest quick. Deadly bait for bass and butts.

hanahou7 likes this.
  12. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter
    Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, I had heard that squid = White Sea Bass. I think I know what you're referring to...I've seen those squid rigs before and thought they kind of looked like some sort of spaceship. I'll definitely be picking some up soon.

Do you happen to know when the season is for them? Or do they kind of just show up at random/ when the squid are available?

13. eliner

eliner Member

Name:
    DAVID
    Boat:
    E-LINER
    Monterey bay in my opinion is a shot in the dark. No counting about 5 years ago. They were thick and 40-75 lbs. Have not seen them since.
    I used squid and dead sardines, all fish were caught on sardines for some reason. All big circle hooks.
    Only lost one over 65lbs, broke line in middle. I could not gain line on him no matter what I did. When he stopped I pulled and he did not move, pulled more then another 100' line went out. This went on till line broke. I got one look at him on the surface.
    Then nothing smaller than 50lb line and lost none.
    Float and fly line for me, set depths to 30 "

If you find squid beds then anchor if you can and wait. drop lines from bottom to surface. If there they will swim by. Fish finder shows them a long arches.

They are here but not in numbers and difficult to target unless you hear from someone that got a few.

More on pajaro than Monterey side. when here they were along the whole beach line around the bay in the squid beds. They have been spotted just off the kelp beds in big numbers just hovering. This was also few years ago by divers.

hanahou7 likes this.
  14. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter

Thank you for the response/ information. I appreciate the input and it sounds like you've had quite a bit of experience targeting them in the Monterey Bay.

15. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
    I did very well out on seabass a few years ago. I used a mooching sliding swivel, then a 4-6' 40# fluoro leader with a 6/0 circle hook. They do come up here thick IMO pretty much every year. The key, like guys have been saying, is to get right on that squid bed. If there's no squid beds, you're not gonna be catching.

Squid beds are marked by big groups of murres sitting on the water in tight patches. During the daylight, we got all of ours just off the bottom. Be prepared to run many trips searching for them until you understand what to look for/where to look for them. Monterrey gets a lot of seabass, however the guys who fish it are notoriously tight lipped. It's a hard fraternity to get into. It took me about 6 trips to catch my first one.

Tifoso and hanahou7 like this.
  16. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter
    Thank you, that is extremely helpful! Yes, I suspect a big fat 0 this year and if I can just learn to mark them/ hook into one, that'd be a win in my book haha.

17. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
    Exactly!! You'll get a feel what to look for pretty quickly. Also during the day you can get into some pretty sensational halibut bites on the squid spawn. I've limited on both halibut and seabass on the same day (with 3 of the halibut over 30lbs)

Also the birds are very indicative of whats going on below. If they're just hanging out on the squid, nothing's moving down there. When the birds are circling like crazy (and you're hooking murres on your squid) that normally means something is blowing up that squid below. The birds are a PITA but its just a part of the game.

Also...big fleets shut the bite the heck down. There's a reason why the first rule of seabass fishing is to never speak about seabass fishing. I'll report on everything besides a seabass bite...then I'm fucking Hellen Keller haha.

hanahou7 likes this.
  18. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter

Hahaha I totally hear ya...gotta protect the secrets! haha

I appreciate the information you're willing to share with me. Truly a lot of help and gives me a starting point at least.

karlk1125 likes this.