Jax Mikkelsen

Rosa Ranger
Sep 3, 2018
Santa Barbara
Name
Jax Mikkelsen
Boat
Degenerate 17'
Left CI Harbor at around 6AM, didn't bother making macs as we had loads of fresh dead squid. Straight shot over to East side Santa Cruz, absolute sheet glass with the most condensed whale surfacings I've ever seen, must've been 40-50 within the first hour. Slid in shallow and had some slow picks on sculpin and whitefish, so moved around a bit and decided to hit some stones on the north side out deeper. Had steady picks on some good sized chucks and starrys, with some vermilions and rosies mixed in. Also a novelty quillback. The rockfish were eating the jig way better than the fresh squid which was interesting. Great day, great tacos.
IMG_6032.jpg
IMG_6011.JPG
IMG_0384.JPEG
60540402409__D8F7E284-C48E-4882-BD94-4971D6824B07.JPG

Upvote 0

Spaslab

Are you a sick little monkey too?
May 11, 2008
Simi CA USA
Name
Rick
Boat
"Gracie" Defiance 220 EX Admiral
And it was calm and greasy flat...so says the pay sites...but I was out there Saturday and I can see you were in the same conditions. Good call on fishing the north sides of the islands, the south sides were windy, wind chop and unless you had a heavy boat, could not hold bottom.

You did well! I went later in the morning, by the time I was out there, it was almost all over. I was getting bit on things that moved. Squid on a hook did little, a dine worked much better, so had similar experiences, they wanted something lively.

Hope to see you out there. Great work!

Reactions: Jax Mikkelsen
Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Looks like a nice day. Can you detail what that set up is.

Upvote 0