Siv

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
OK you tin experts, I am going to repaint my swim step. It is was a black that matches my bracket but 25 years of scraping and beating have it missing about 1/2 the black.

Can I sand with my orbital sander to remove the old paint? Preferred paper - silicone oxide? Grit to start?

Clean thoroughly with acetone right?

Zinc chromate or zinc phosphate primer?

I was planning to top coat with 4-5 coats of good quality satin black spray paint. Suggestions?

Thanks

FishBoy82

Fish Killer
Jul 14, 2012
Camano Island, Wa
Name
Josh
Boat
23' Olympic
Either sandblast it or if you don't want to power sand it wash it down first with acetone then hit it with 60 grit paper. Apply two coats of epoxy barrier coat primer then one coat of tie coat primer while last coat of epoxy is slightly tacky. Top coats of either enamel or bottom paint over tie coat primer after primer system is hard & dry.

Last edited:

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Sandblast and take it to a quality powder coat shop. They will prime it and powder coat.

Most powder coat shops also have sandblasting that they outsource to.

Reactions: Deviant

fishing fanatic

May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
Sandblast with the most mild media possible to achieve bare aluminum and stronteum chromate primer!
Better yet take it to bob!

Reactions: Fireball

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Guys, I probably should have said this step is only 2'x3' max. I was hoping this could be a home project, not pull it all off and pay a pro shop. Maybe I underestimated.

aknelson

Mar 30, 2008
Millcreek, WA
Name
Andy
Boat
22 SeaSport
PM and ask Bob he would be your best bet.. if I took it off I would talk to dwaine about building a new bracket before I pulled it off to sand blast it. Can you post pics?

aknelson

Mar 30, 2008
Millcreek, WA
Name
Andy
Boat
22 SeaSport
I’m not suggesting you replace your bracket by any means . I took these pics of this 19 when I picked up my bracket. But Bob-Agate Pass Marine would be a good resource

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
check awlgrips or sterlings website for primingitneeds to be taken down to bare metal etched with alodine, etc. if you want it to last the primer is the key. http://sterlinglacquer.com/products.html

Reactions: aknelson

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I’ve been considering truck bed liner to refinish mine, when the time come.

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
I’m not suggesting you replace your bracket by any means . I took these pics of this 19 when I picked up my bracket. But Bob-Agate Pass Marine would be a good resource
My Seasport (1994) was probably one of the first from the factory with a bracket made by Aluminum Perfections. The swim step is a separate piece that bolts to the bracket and through the transom . On the port side is my OMC kicker bracket on the transom. See the pic after some light sanding with an orbital and 100 grit. I’ll keep working on it, clean it really well with acetone , prime and paint . Should come out ok, if it fails I’d go the pro route with somebody like Agate.

C2A684C8-8ECD-4368-9510-28424CA76188.jpeg

Last edited:

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Sand blasted and then primed same day. The blasting will get the crevices and all the Corrosion. Get some Alodine then Zinchromite primer, then epoxy primer and topcoat.

If you go with sanding; paint is off. Use Alumabrite and red scotchbrite to scrub it down. The Alumabrite will etch the aluminum and get the corrosion you missed sanding. The Alodine will turn the Aluminum a gold yellowish tint. If you see black after the Alodine you missed some corrosion.

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
The powder coating shops I’ve worked with a very reluctant to paint any aluminum that has already been exposed to salt water. Even with sand blasting and acid dip they claim it’s very hard to remove the contamination evidently.

fishing fanatic

May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
My bracket on my Olympic I pulled off and it was definitely showing signs of putting and corrosion. I had it blasted and powder coated and it was solid for 4 years. I was very careful you oversize holes by 1/8” to allow for the coating and never penetrated the finish .

Reactions: goatram