Sanding Cork Tape For Taper??

gtpvette

Nov 11, 2021
Key Largo Fl USA
Name
Fred Brewer III
Boat Name
30' Contender
Working on a rod build and have a question. I'm planning on a 16" foregrip, two layers of 1/4" cork tape with heat shrink on top. I'd really like a bit of a taper the last 3"-4" removing almost all of the last layer of cork (1/4") at the end where the winding check will be. Is this a bad idea? I have visions of the sanded tape falling apart.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
Monterey
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat Name
18 Sfringari
You have seen into the future. Your tape will probably fall apart. You may get the same result from 2 different thicknesses of cork tape.

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat Name
my blood vessel
c371531141f452d5f6872c09aab25d93.jpg

Upvote 0

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat Name
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    Yeah….only way I think you could get the taper you so desire is to put your first layer of cork tape up to where your taper down will begin. Then with some patience and skill use blue tape or the like to build up to the cork thickness. Then use a step down sequence to get the right look you want. Then apply your 2nd layer of cork over the first and riding down that taper you made to your winding check.
    If it were me that’s how I would do it.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat Name
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Here is a possible option. Have never tried what you are contemplating but
    here we go,,,,,, try and remove the sticky tape from the last 4 inches or ever how far back you want the taper to end. Then Epoxy glue that top layer of cork tape with the sticky tape removed to the first layer of cork tape. That will form a sold section to taper down. You won't have to be concerned with the cork tape wraps falling apart in that tapered section. When completed it probably will not look desirable. Would suggest to install the shrink wrap up to the large end of the taper over laping just a tad then taper the end of the shrink tubing then wrap the tapered section of cork with a matching thread all the way up the large end of the taper and slightly over the end of the shrink wrap then epoxy as normal. You could also forget the winding check, taper the cork down to the blank and just continue wrapping all the way up the tapered section. As above this is a shoot form the hip suggestion, wish you success.

My .37 cents worth for your consideration,
    Walt

Upvote 0

mikek

Almost A Member
    Jul 21, 2009
    Florida
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Scout 162
    Since you are covering everything with heat shrink, make your cork tape 12" long then glue a 4" shaped cork grip in front.

Upvote 0