Sanddabs Off PT Jan 23rd

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Halibut Howie, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Halibut Howie

Halibut Howie Member Since 2003

Name:
    Halibut Howie
    Boat:
    1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Boat Will Travel"
    First of all thanks all for the replies correcting me on the number of hooks you can fish with when targeting flatfish. After fishing these waters for 40 years you'd think I'd know that. Those sand dads have no chance now.

Secondly, I'm fishing out in deeper water than 350' because I'm searching for other flatfish as well (dover sole, ...) and perhaps find where the sablefish hang. I did not have time to search in deeper water this time cuz of the rough seas that day.

After reading the state and federal regs I still do not know if it is legal to fish for sablefish (black cod, butterfish). Also I just traded my POS Simrad NSS-12 for an automatic Japanese deep-water electric reel which will help me in the 1000+' searches. According to page 3 of this map below the area around and north of the north-end of the Nine Mile Bank is a prime area to find these fish. That's where I started my search this time and will continue it northward my next time out. Many years ago when I first started looking for sablefish, someone on this board told me he use to commercial fish for sablefish in that area at around 900' on a flat mud bottom in Jan-Feb time frame when they come up from the depths to spawn. I tried it a few times back then but the depth and weather was just too much to manually handle. Now with an electric reel I can re-start that search. Nice change from rockfish & YT fishing. Some times the hunt is more exciting than the catch.
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/rpsc/map5_4-1g-i.pdf

To answer your question. Just google the pics of each fish. It'll be quite easy to tell the difference between these two species.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Bottom Line likes this.
  2. shinbob

shinbob Member

Name:
    Shin
    Boat:
    Triton 240 LTS
    Sablefish! Probably the best tasting fish I've ever eaten. Would be interesting to hear your results on your investigation (not that I'm ever going to try to fish for them, 900' - whew!)

3. SON OF POSEIDON

SON OF POSEIDON Newbie

Name:
    SON OF POSEIDON
    Boat:
    AHRA AHN
    San dab fish on Ahra Ahn ,berth 55 long beach.. We killed em ! 20 heads got 2,600

4. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I hate to bring the bad news... But it's not legal to fish for sablefish in southern California.

Or rather, it is not legal to pursue them below the 360 feet depth limit that applies to all federal government managed ground fish, which includes sablefish: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/Federal-Groundfish

You can find sablefish on the list.

The laws: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Regulations/Groundfish-Summary#south

Which is the same laws for rock fish, and thus:

Along with the same season limits - that is, it's closed right now.

Sand dabs have a special section in the table and are therefore specifically allowed outside of the depth limit and count limit.

Sablefish are not.

So the only way to legally fish for Sablefish is to fish them within the 360 feet depth limit - in most years, this is an exercise in futility because Sablefish lives below 600 feet and is most abundant around 1000 to 3000 feet deep.

5. Halibut Howie

Name:
    Halibut Howie
    Boat:
    That's how I read the regs also but was hoping I misread the rules. Just another sneaky rule that does not make much sense to me. Therefore, sablefish out but I'll still try to see what's down there and fish for what is legal.

6. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    Fish the south 9 next time and your good to go.

7. Halibut Howie

Name:
    Halibut Howie
    Boat:
    I fish the South Nine (Mexican waters) often and catch many different species of rockfish and occasionally lings in 375' of water by the severe dropoff. In fact I have plans to fish there with my boat twice next week. It's a little closer from my mooring than the North Nine. Had plans to take Ed from Ed's jigs out there a month or so ago but the weather postponed that trip. Ed's buddy however will be on next week's trip with me and I'm sure he will be using Ed's jigs. Myself I use 6/0 long shanked hooks in a 4-hook ganglion (Walmart steel or mono 2-hook setups with snaps for the hooks, $2 ea) with a 2lb weight. Can not use an electric reel in Mexico. I have a curved rod like in "Wicked Tuna" where you can stand and lean into the rod while retrieving your rewards from the depths. Great workout.

However, I'm trying to find other places to fish in our local USA waters and keep from paying the usury Mexican Visa cost for each person on board. Can get pricey cuz I fish once or twice a week. I guess you could skip that costs but then you'd be looking over your shoulders for not only the Mexican navy but our CG as well while coming back.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    JustOneCast likes this.
  8. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER

When your desperate, consider your choices and don't limit yourself, HAH!

T-Tang likes this.
  9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Drool, yep that works! Fine eating there.

10. Halibut Howie

Name:
    Halibut Howie
    Boat:
    Thanks for the link. I like that guy's thinking and fun about fishing.

Lizardfish, that's another fish I throw away to this day. Has anyone ever eaten a lizardfish? I'm definitely keeping the next lizardfish I catch. The meat looks very similar to that of a sanddab!

I only wised up about how good eating sanddabs are after getting a dinner of them after a fishing trip out of Ventura. I was hooked.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  11. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    I was at Catalina a few weeks back. We got to the east end at like 3:00 pm find sandy bottom in about 250-350 set up 1lb bottom ten hook ganion at top 1 oz sand wt lays flat on bottom. Fun. We caught 60 for 3 of us in a few drops. Then went hooping. Glad we got sand dabs. Lol. Only 4 lobsters.

One_Leg likes this.