Sand crabs, where did they go?

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
About 2-3 weeks ago the water temperature dropped from 72 to 60 degrees and the sand crabs disappeared. For you surf fishing guys, where did they go? Hibernation? I can still find them but they're more solitary Really have to work at it. I only surf fish during the summer months when the water's relatively warm and have never experienced this before. This is in the north San Diego area.

Reactions: Kareem Korn
Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
I don't know dick about sand crabs, but have noticed the same. There were even alot of mole crabs as well. Now nothing.

Upvote 0

dtf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
About 2-3 weeks ago the water temperature dropped from 72 to 60 degrees and the sand crabs disappeared. For you surf fishing guys, where did they go? Hibernation? I can still find them but they're more solitary Really have to work at it. I only surf fish during the summer months when the water's relatively warm and have never experienced this before. This is in the north San Diego area.
And with the disappearance of sand crabs you can add corbina to the missing list.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2004
Murrieta, California
Name
Forrest Phillips
Boat
Sold my Mako 171 Special after 24 great years of fishing and boating trips...so, no boat
Went to O’side Harbor beach Friday for a little bodysurf/surf fishing time. The place was packed with people! Swam a little and then fished the incoming tide. Or at least tried to fish. Too many people and I had a tough time finding sand crabs. I did find some though and fished for about 30 minutes for small bites (surf perch probably) but no fish. I gave up due to the masses of people giving me dirty looks (as though I was going to snag their kids or something). Life guard was kicking swimmers out of the surf only area all afternoon. During one of the lifeguards many evacuation orders I asked if I was ok fishing in the surf only area. Lifeguard replied, “Ya, your good”. I usually see several corbina in the water but this day I saw zero. Son and I did see a couple of fins in the waves which ended up being leopard sharks, with one being about 3 feet long. Sand crabs are there and the water is warming at 69 degrees yesterday.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
How was the tide when you couldn't find them ? I've noticed that at low tide they're harder to find.I've also found plenty of them in an area and then several hours later you find none.Maybe they just stay down in the sand.

Upvote 0

Exodus

• Jun 20, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Damon's 26' Shamrock..."Solito"
    This past Wednesday, I fished between Moonlight and Stonesteps, and saw plenty of sand crabs. I used the bloodworms I bought and landed 2 spotfin (1 jumbo) 2 small corbina and a small leopard shark.

Reactions: popx5
    Upvote 0

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
    Carlsbad, Ca
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    sold
    I fish north of Carlsbad State Beach and have had great days and lots of fish but for the last 2.5 weeks with the colder water they've been hard to find. Have only had one skunk day but lots of 2-4 fish days lately, which is on the slow side. I'm usually wading for 2-4 hours a session, fishing a carolina rig. Low to medium tide in this area seems to be the best for finding the medium to larger sand crabs. High tide you find the small ones. The quality Spotfin bite has been great all summer.

Reactions: popx5
    Upvote 0

mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 3, 2009
    Santee/ca/usa
    Name
    Marty
    Boat
    Lard ass
    :D
    article-2047830-0E53CB7700000578-444_634x602.jpg

Upvote 0

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
    Apr 29, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    25 skipjack -Albatross
    fished tamarack sunday- have had probs locating good size crabs again. Saw large corbina that did not want plastic grubs and kids did not bring their post- surf slings.

They went and crawled around the jetty and handed me 7-8 graet size sand crabs. I put those in the pocket of my birdwells and site casted to corbina- no takers- so frustrating!

Try mussels if no crabs- sometimes it's the hot ticket.

Upvote 0