San Quintin Tackle Recommendations

arascon49

Jul 26, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Austin Rascon
Boat
Don’t have one.
Heading to San Quintin second week of August 2021. I'll be staying at The Old Mill for a week. This will be my first fishing trip in Mexico.

I want to be well prepared so I'm looking for tackle recommendations to cover all of the species that we may run into.

So far I have Yo-Yo Jigs, Surface Irons, Stick Baits, DTX Minnows, Mirro Lures and a fair amount of torpedo weights for sinker rigs.

Are there any other "must have" tackle recommendations? Should I get any skirted lures at all?

For setups I have a 25#, 30# (for Surface Iron), 40# and an 80#.

From what I've gathered, the waters off San Quintin hold Yellowtail, Lingcod, Grouper and various other bottom fish. Are there any other species I can expected to encounter out there such as Dorado, Yellowfin or Rooster maybe?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Leslie. Christensen
Upvote 0

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    Always ask your captain, Possibly tuna and Dorado, Calicos. Different leader stuff, 20 to 100, mostly fish around 40, but have leader stuff 20 to 100. Can play around dock area, hotel if you want 10 to 20 good there, small medium , Striper bass gear is fine there, have fun

arascon49
    arascon49
    Thanks for the info Leslie, it's much appreciated.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    Yep, match the hatch, gulp that looks like baby sand bass, almost anything works ,but if you're catching Calicos , something resembling , baby's stuck in rod holder for drift can work. Red brown white good luck, never know

download_20140530_085101.jpeg

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    Calico bass; all standard sizes and colors of swim baits work well but I would have some of the larger / weedless types on hand for throwing into the nasty stuff.
    After all, thats where the really big pigs live.

Almost forgot.......bring down a few bricks of frozen squid.

Upvote 0

Russo

Almost A Member
    Aug 14, 2017
    Wildomar
    Name
    Jon Russo
    Boat
    If that's what you want to call it
    Who are you fishing with?

The Old Mill is a cool spot. Laid back and friendly staff, I've never had a bad time there.
    The Owner Javier is a fun guy and if you like Tequila he's always ready to pour a round. He is also the head chef at the restaurant El Eucalipto which is on premises at the Old Mill and top notch cuisine. I'm going to guess its the only "fine dining" in SQ.

As to your fishing question, I have been there 4 plus trips in late September early August and in my experience, you will most likely be fishing yellowtail at the 240 and maybe at "Bens Rock". Surface iron and flyline/ slow trolled Macs will be on the menu. One year we did actually get a few good sized WSB in that timeframe, but generally its YT. Bring a few egg sinkers if they fish wont come up 1/2 through 1 once should cut it.

Plan on fishing 40 to 50 leader. These fish are not line shy generally and the place is all volcanic rock so you need to turn these fish as fast as possible. If you are up for it braid to a short leader is my preference.

I'm not a Calico guy, but as others have mentioned its well known for that fishery at San Martin Island. I'm sure that's also an option at that time of year. Bottom species are always a go down there.

I'm going to plug K&M sport fishing here, as those guys are who I'm familiar with and can recommend. There are plenty of other options as well, whom I'm sure are also great, But I will say Kelly and the boys get it done time after time.

As for "bonus species" Broomtail grouper are there now but the tide needs to be right and you will be targeting them not just happening upon them. Catch and release from what I've heard.

Dorado are a maybe but I've never caught them there. Rooster fish is a no go. You are not far enough south for that action.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Yep, match the hatch, gulp that looks like baby sand bass, almost anything works ,but if you're catching Calicos , something resembling , baby's stuck in rod holder for drift can work. Red brown white good luck, never know

View attachment 1301970
    I was there in June, and the current was
    Bad, and we needed at least 20 OZ to fish for Cod , so 8OZ to 24 OZ ,
    Would be your best bet to have with you,
    And if you’re fishing a few days,
    Bringing back up,
    And having them In the car Incase you need them, plus a 1/2 dozen jigs of
    Each color, would be wise to.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Someone mentioned a lite set up for shore fishing around the motel and back bay, good advice as the place is plugged full of sand bass. Not usually big but small to decent size and lots....... One giant turd-roller fest

Reactions: arascon49
    arascon49
    arascon49
    Nice, I'll bring one of my bass rods with me then. Thanks man.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Dogman619

Nov 6, 2012
    Bahia de los Angeles. Spring Valley
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Sea Pro 18DC
    Bring your old school crocodile, the big ones. If the wsb are around that's what you'll be using... 2 years ago they were there at that time. Bring a cpl multi hook cod rigs, easy for the meat hunt on reds, dont forget your squid like mentioned. In the afternoon have fun around the dock, there are groupers being planted from other areas around the dock, please throw them back for future fun.. Have fun drinking with Javiar and his wife, they are some of the most hospitable people you will meet. I've slept in their place when the hotel was full and I didn't have a res...

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Bring your old school crocodile, the big ones. If the wsb are around that's what you'll be using... 2 years ago they were there at that time. Bring a cpl multi hook cod rigs, easy for the meat hunt on reds, dont forget your squid like mentioned. In the afternoon have fun around the dock, there are groupers being planted from other areas around the dock, please throw them back for future fun.. Have fun drinking with Javiar and his wife, they are some of the most hospitable people you will meet. I've slept in their place when the hotel was full and I didn't have a res...
    I fell in love with Don eddies,
    Not fancy,
    But Tony is as good as it gets.

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    I've stayed at the old mill probably several dozen times over the last 35 years but never wandered over to Don Eddie's (perhaps at one time this was Lorenzo's?)

Also; is there anyplace to launch a small aluminum boat at Don Eddie's..... there on site w/ secure parking?

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Thats my main reason for returning to the Mill, launching pretty much on site then I can park my truck back in the "compound". Someone once told me that Eddie's had a small dirt/rock ramp that was do-able for a "over the beach launch" kayaks, tin boats etc.

I appreciate the pic Les, but it didn't reveal much. In your opinion, could a 12 to 14' aluminum boat be launched a Don Eddie's? Thanks

Upvote 0

Russo

Almost A Member
    Aug 14, 2017
    Wildomar
    Name
    Jon Russo
    Boat
    Is the boat ramp open to the public or exclusive to The Old Mill? Its a 2 minute drive and 3 minute walk along the waterfront to Don Eddies if you preference is to stay there
    As far as I know it is. Its the same ramp used by all of the commercial guys etc. I can't think of any reason why anyone would launch at Don Eddie's when the main ramp is maybe 1000' away.
    I would say just be mindful of the locals and the commercial guys. Basically don't be the guy at the ramp with the jet ski that takes and hour to load and drop haha.

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    As far as I know it is. Its the same ramp used by all of the commercial guys etc. I can't think of any reason why anyone would launch at Don Eddie's when the main ramp is maybe 1000' away.
    I would say just be mindful of the locals and the commercial guys. Basically don't be the guy at the ramp with the jet ski that takes and hour to load and drop haha.
    Just trying to consider some options. Once upon a trip, when my truck and (boat) trailer were parked on the road to the ramp my spare tire was stollen off the trailer while we were out. After that incident, I would drive the rig back into the old mill parking lot while we were out .....problem solved.

We all know how busy the ramp and fish cleaning area get on the weekends. Just trying to consider other options for boat launching and while staying out of the locals way. I know they have a job to do.

After 30 plus years of trailering boats to Mexico, I started re thinking my program, trying to find a new way to make things
    a bit more simple, safer and less stress while on the road . The new plan was to forget the trailer and car top a small aluminum skiff down to Baja. Besides, fishing bays and lagoons is my primary interest these days so it was time to scale down in skiff size anyhow.

A 12' aluminum Lowe w/transom launch wheels, 6 hp Yamaha OB and carried down via rack on top of the truck is my new set- up. It was all set for its first SQ trip then Covid hit. I plan to head down soon and try it out and just plan fish the bay, mainly for halibut. I can launch it over most any beach or mud flat and just prefer to stay away from the public launch at the Mill if possible. Hence my interest in the possibilities at Don Eddie's. Also wonder if there is a fish cleaning station there.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Russo
    Upvote 0

Russo

Almost A Member
    Aug 14, 2017
    Wildomar
    Name
    Jon Russo
    Boat
    Ah I see. I’ve been to Don Eddie’s just wandering around and hit the bar a time or two but have never stayed there. I can’t say I’ve seen a ramp, but that definitely doesn’t mean it does not exist.
    here is - or was Tony’s # +52 664 632 5417 from Don Eddie’s. I’m sure he can let you know the deal.

Upvote 0

arascon49

Jul 26, 2020
    Las Vegas, NV
    Name
    Austin Rascon
    Boat
    Don’t have one.
    Alright fellas, the trip was a huge success! Thank you for the information provided by you all.
    This was a 6 day trip with 3 days of fishing. We stayed at The Old Mill and it was fantastic. The Owner/Head Chef of Eucalipto, Javier was awesome and the hospitality was top notch. Shout out to his entire staff for doing such a great job. The food at Eucalipto was next level and nothing short of amazing! We're talking filet mignon & lobster, ceviche, sashimi, burgers, crab claws, pastas and more. If you ever go there, you must order a Mexican Coffee, you won't regret it!

We used Tiburon Pangas for the fishing and they were great. They're not running parkers or anything but they were only $350 a day and they got us on the fish.
    San Quintin Sunrise 1.jpg

Day 1: Sunday August 8th 2021
    On the water by 0600, and headed to the bait grounds. Bait was hard to make, spent about a half an hour then headed out.
    Arrived at The 240 Spot at 0700. Saw some breezers and picked a couple off with live bait (mackerel). The rest of the fleet showed up shortly after so we moved on to The 15 Fathom Spot.
    Didn't see much going on, on the surface so we decided to troll a Purple/Black Rapala and a Green Mackerel Nomad DTX Minnow 165. Had another 4 Yellows and 2 Bonita on the boat by around 0900.
    Shot back over to The 240 Spot, saw good bait and some Yellows on the meter and just slowly picked at them with live bait and Yo-Yo jigs for the next couple hours, ended up with another 5 Yellows and a couple Barracuda on the boat for the rest of the day.
    The 3 Amigos .jpg
    Austin Yellowtail.PNG
    YT on Deck!.jpg

Day 2: Monday August 9th 2021
    On the water by 0600 and headed to the bait grounds. Bait was even harder to make this morning. Ended up leaving with less than a desirable amount of bait but we felt it was more important to get out to the spot before there was too much fishing pressure from the rest of the fleet.
    Got to The 240 by 0700 and it was quiet the entire morning. Hooked what felt like a big one on live bait but lost it after about 15min. Slow trolled some baits for awhile, tried the Surface Iron and Yo-Yo with no luck, so we dropped the Rapala and Nomad off the back and ended up getting 3 Yellows and a couple Bonita by 1000.
    After having enough of the troll we headed over to Ben's Rock I think, not 100% positive and did some bottom fishing for the rest of the day. Picked up plenty of Rock Cod, Ling Cod and White Fish.
    Unfortunately, my phone busted at the end of the second day of fishing so I lost my photo's from day 2.

Day 3: Wednesday August 11th 2021
    On the water by 0600. Bait was much easier to make today. We were on The 240 by 0645.
    Immediately as we pull up to the spot there was a nice boil going. My buddies tossed some live bait over the side and I threw the Iron (Mint Color). All 3 of us were hooked up to start the morning. The other two landed their fish and I lost my fish right at the boat! Such a bummer, but that's fishing. Lines were back out promptly but the fish were no longer feeding on the surface. I tossed a Yo-Yo Jig (Scrambled Egg) and immediately got bit, this fish made it onto the boat, I made sure of that! These Yellows were definitely a larger grade than day 1's Yellows.
    We got moving again just metering the area and keeping our eye out for fish and we hit spot after spot of fish on The 240 all day. Most fish came on live bait and the Yo-Yo (scrambled egg). I caught a crap ton of Barracuda on the Surface Iron as well.
    We ended the day with limits of Yellows for the 3 of us, a monster Calico and a ton of Barracuda. Only kept the Yellows and a couple Barracuda that our captain wanted to take home.

This was my first fishing trip in Mexico and it was an experience I will never forget, I'll be back again next year!

The 3 Amigos w Yellows v2.jpg
    Nate's YT.jpg
    Austin Fatty Yellowtail.PNG
    The 3 Amigos No Fish.jpg

Upvote 0