Sr. Califas

Skeptic
Jul 2, 2010
Upland
Name
Gabriel Davila
Boat
N/A
I'll break my report down into a few parts so you can skip to the info you prefer.

The Drive: Got to San Ysidro border Friday morning round 9:00ish. Right at the entrance before all lines have to turn right, I noticed traffic stopped. Yes I was still on the U.S. side. The CBP now has lanes for you to pass through in order to get to Mexico's lanes of entry. Our CBP had 2/3rds of our lanes closed causing a bottle neck so it took about 45 minutes to go about 1/4 mile.
Fortunately that is the last bad news that I have about the drive in either direction. Once through the bottle neck, Mexico's lanes were all open and people driving straight through as usual. Traffic was lighter in every sense the whole way down. Military check point just south of Ensenada was not even talking to anyone headed south bound.
If you haven't driven to San Quintin the last couple of years you will be happy to know that the road has been widened and has legit shoulders almost the entire fist half of the drive down. Along with relatively light traffic, this made for one of the more pleasant and quicker drives down to San Quintin.

The way back, left San Quintin at 6:00 am Monday morning. Outside of some red lights, traffic flowing quickly and we are at standard military check point south of Ensenada in no time. Guy asks the usual, checks the ice chest and tells us to have a nice day.

We get to greater Ensenada and I check https://bwt.cbp.gov/ one last time to make a decision that I have been nervous about since planning this trip a month ago. Website showing Tecate with a 30 minute shorter wait. Decide to take the scenic route and we get to Tecate at 10:00 am. By 11:00 am we are crossing the border. Officer was very professional and did not make a big deal about us fishing while in Mexico. I would have to consider the drive to and fro a complete success.

Fishing: It was a windy and rocky weekend. That being said all captains working their asses off to put their clientele on the fish. Saturday morning we started just north of the point in rough waters, looking for white seabass or yellowtail, we found only a few barracuda. Headed south into much calmer waters. This was best move for us as my friend who went with me was fishing for the very first time in any capacity. We spent the day catching a few large calicos and an assortment of smaller sand bass, bonita and sugar bass.
Sunday made bait (both days bait was quickly made by all boats with perfect sized mackerels) and headed to the 240 in choppy water. Didn't take long for me to get my annual 240 humbling as I got rocked with 50 pound test by resident yellowtail. By the time that happened the rest of the fleet was there and Captain Jaime knew I would be happy to troll out west for some exotics. He said there would be a 3 hour window where the winds were supposed to slow down a bit. Trolled to about 18 miles west to 74 degree water and hardly a sign of life anywhere. Then at about the 19 mile marker Captain Jaime somehow spots a decent sized kelp patty in the distance. Troll by it, two trollers go off. And the dorado start jumping. We spent the next hour and a half in a wide open dorado bite. Fish ranged from 6 to 15 pounds. Being that it was only my friend's second day ever of fishing there was no problem or pressure in farming fish. We ended up keeping 13 dorados. No need to go over the limits on this day, we were just feeling so fortunate that Captain Jaime took the chance of going out when he new we only had a short window before the winds picked back up. Had a happy, bumpy ride back to the bay feeling as good as ever.

If you have not yet fished with Captain Jaime, do yourself the favor and try it at least once. If he is booked up, his son is an up and coming captain, but those of you with experience know that San Quintin is loaded with quality captains!

Environment: The residents of San Quintin are persevering, but the shut down has been hard on everyone. I had been apprehensive about taking the drive down. I even reached out to a friend of mine who lives down there with my concerns. She told me that people are wearing masks and cleaning and trying to respect social distancing, but besides that, when I get down there that it will be the same San Quintin that I know and love. She was absolutely right. Get down there now if you can. The hotels and captains are there waiting to show their appreciation, like always, for their customers. You will even notice improvements that some businesses have made, like the Old Mill hotel, while things were shut down.
With the weather the way that it is, fishing should be good through October. But either way if you need some San Quintin like I was needing it, this might just be the perfect time for you to get down there and enjoy and appreciate that special place that you miss!

BDIMG_0562.jpg

BDDSCN7668.jpg

BDDSCN7677.jpg

BDDSCN7687.jpg

Dragon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
I have not been to San Q since the 90's when Al & Nolo owned the whole Shebang. I love it. I could live there...Is Capt. David still around? I am planning to go in the very near future...Sure has changed since then...Tight lines

Sr. Califas

Skeptic
Jul 2, 2010
Upland
Name
Gabriel Davila
Boat
N/A
If it's the same Captain David I met and fished with once back in 2001, he hasn't been around since then. However I believe some of the captains around know of his current status. I just haven't asked about him in several years. He was a cool guy. Really look forward to hearing about your return trip down their real soon. It has changed a lot but it is still that magic place.

Reactions: Dragon

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
Yep, Cant wait I will post...Really looking forward to going. David was a Great guy I always fished with him and the few times I didnt he would always ask me to go with him...I will ask around. Im sure they will know. Thanks

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
011 52 1616 101 9056. Jaimes # family's been around awhile, maybe he can help you find your buddies. If not he's a pretty good guy to fish with. Good luck

Reactions: Dragon and denis

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
I have heard good things about Capt Jamie & Capt Jaun. I will hit them up...We were set to go about 4 years ago then my son was in a bad car accident and I canceled. Good to go now. Was planning to look for a lot when I'm there...Thanks Guys

Last edited:

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
011 52 1616 109 1877 another good # for info, like talking to people, both on Facebook, but I like hearing it. Jaun and only ,another great family guy

Reactions: Dragon and denis

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
Really Stoked to get back down there and make some new memories and fish with both of them. I'm getting my ID in order. I also heard Javier has done good things w/Old Mill too. I could see the Heat/Ac units on the roof tops in the Gallery Photos. When I went there the 1st time the restaurant was part of the Officina. There were no 2 story rooms, or Bar yet. Generated power that went off...We got to see them improve all that during the 90's it was a blast...I lived in Temecula at that time so it was close...Good times for sure!!!