Breakwater4

Almost A Member
Mar 8, 2010
Cardiff, CA
Name
Sean
Boat
Outerbanks Custom Carolina 28', "BlewByou"
Took my girlfriend and her two kids down to SQ for the Valentines day weekend. Easy drive, as usual. Stayed at the Old Mill (my favorite Baja spot). We took the kids clamming day 1 and got a couple big buckets for dinner. My girlfriends first trip to Baja, so it didn't take long for her to realize the hotel wouldn't be over run with cartels with ak47s:). We fished a panga day 2 and I seriously can't say enough how much I love the people in Baja. Her daughter has Down syndrome and the captain on our panga (as well as everyone else) was just phenomenal (super patient). We caught 2 yellowtail and about 20 rockfish in 2 hours. Danced and drank tequila at the restaurant with the rest of the town at the restaurant that night. Day 3 my girlfriend said she wanted to find a babysitter and try goose hunting....NEVER thought I'd hear that. So we hired a guide ($125 each), and were camo'd up at 5am and in the panga. She has never fired a gun, the guide was fine with that and brought some clay pigeons to try first. I seriously was still dumbfounded. She did fine. Set up in a blind and I must say, it's the only place to take a first timer. Took a few extra shots, but we both got 3 geese (you're allowed 5, but I figured an hour was enough for her, end on a great note. And you can't bring them back across the border). Back in the room by 7, kids just waking up. Her son got to follow a big bull snake around the property to finish out the morning. Drive home was cake, kiddos slept the entire trip. She has a bunch of pics and I'll upload a few. Couldn't ask for a better vacation.

Upvote 0

garlicsalt

Jul 18, 2014
pitted.
Name
jed
Boat
''the twisted ducker''
hey sean, you can bring your fish home but not your birds? sup wit dat? great trip bud good report. really sparked my intrest.

Upvote 0

Breakwater4

Almost A Member
Mar 8, 2010
Cardiff, CA
Name
Sean
Boat
Ya Jed, fish is fine, keep the skin on if possible. You can't bring the birds home unless they're smoked, and you still have to declare them. It is seriously the best tasting bird I've ever had, because it feeds solely on eel grass instead of mixed grub and insects. There were a lot of guys down there on the "guided" trip. $2600ish. It's 3 days of hunting, breakfast and lunch and a room at Old Mill. We drove down, spent $30ish/night at the Old Mill, and just hired a panga guide there and it was really cheap.

Jth: they prefer you do not bring your own guns, they have everything.

Aaron: none of ours had bands, but a couple of the other guys down there did get birds with bands. It's more of a harvest than a hunt, there are just so many birds. But a lot of fun.

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
/600hp ls3 powered Airboat
bajahunting.com you can book a brant hunt with arturo malo. You can for sure bring your own guns to mexico. simple process to get papers for them :)

the reason you can not bring back the birds is because of a outbreak of bird flu in mexico city a few years back. Even though the bird flu problem is gone and the usda has lifted the restrictions the CBP has yet to change their rule. Even on bird that in a couple weeks will be back north in the usa.

Upvote 0

el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Sound like an awesome trip, but you thought brant were good eating?

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Sound like an awesome trip, but you thought brant were good eating?
    He was comparing them to deer. It's all relative.

Upvote 0

Crashburn

Executive Board Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Dog Beach Mostly
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
    I compare the Black Sea Brant to Roast Beef Carl when prepared properly, I've had great hunting there about 20 years ago.
    My only problem came when I almost "DIED" from food poisoning from eating the local seafood cocktail, come to find out later it was the bad octopus that gave me one of the worst frights of my life.

Upvote 0

Snagster

Almost A Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Los Angeles CA USA
    Name
    Bret
    Boat
    12' Gamefisher
    Sounds awesome! especially with the weather and the yellowtail bite going off lately.
    What is the season on the geese? How much longer can you hunt them?
    What kind of shotguns did they have?
    Congrats on a great trip.

Upvote 0

Breakwater4

Almost A Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Cardiff, CA
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    El Toro and Carl, they didn't taste like dead grass like most ducks in so cal. They were better tasting than snow geese by a long shot and I'm not a fan of venison, so there's my comparison, probably doesn't help much. My recommendation is to get down there on a Friday evening and book your guide from there. Any blind will work (I'm not talented hunting and my girlfriend had never shot a gun and we had no issues). I'm not real savvy on guns, but I believe we had long barrel 20 gauge shotguns. The yellowtail were big, we were handing off rods to 5 year olds, so who knows what else was down there. Very fun time tho

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
    Apr 11, 2006
    foothill ranch
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    /600hp ls3 powered Airboat
    don't think i have ever had anyone try brant and say yummmy. They taste ok as jerky lol.

Did you guys get a brant tag when you went out?

Upvote 0

Breakwater4

Almost A Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Cardiff, CA
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    We only had it smoked, and maybe it was the excitement of a new meat, but it was definitely good there.

What is a Brandt tag? The guide took care of the licenses if that's what your referring to?

I'm not an experienced hunter, was my first time in 20 years, so it was fun to have plenty of options to shoot.

Upvote 0

tap

"The Roving Angler"
    BD Writer
    Jun 1, 2006
    Valley Center, CA
    www.rovingangler.com
    Name
    Tony Pena
    Boat
    n/a
    CRASHBURN,
    Mike, I'm interested in your seafood poisoning since most of us eat a lot of seafood. Was the octopus just old or was it toxic somehow by eating inedible parts? How did you find out it was the octopus? I really like octopus or "pulpo" and I hope there are not bad parts to them that I don't know about among various species. In Australia there is a toxic blue octopus but that is the only one I'm aware of to avoid. Thanks.

Upvote 0

MJB

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    sold it!!
    You can bring them back raw with a tag and US f&w paperwork & one wing attached. But I bet that tag is expensive......

Upvote 0