San Quintin Bound - few questions

strk4

Oct 4, 2006
Chula Vista
Name
Mike
Boat
22'
We are heading down Saturday for 2 days of fishing. For many years we have always gotten the free tourist visa. We have never been asked for them at any checkpoint or while paying our road tax to the policia. Do others get the visa?

Has anyone been stopped at the border for having more than 3 rods? It has happened to us at Mexicali.

Sunday we fish with Jaime at the old mill. Monday we beach launch about 15 miles south of Los Pinos where we are staying at a local crab/lobstermans casita. Anybody have a recent report?

Reactions: jiggermyster

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    We are heading down Saturday for 2 days of fishing. For many years we have always gotten the free tourist visa. We have never been asked for them at any checkpoint or while paying our road tax to the policia. Do others get the visa?

Has anyone been stopped at the border for having more than 3 rods? It has happened to us at Mexicali.

Sunday we fish with Jaime at the old mill. Monday we beach launch about 15 miles south of Los Pinos where we are staying at a local crab/lobstermans casita. Anybody have a recent report?
    Unless something has changed, if your stay is under 7 days the visa is free.

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    Yes free, but it requires a stop that takes a bit of time. Has anyone been asked for it?
    I have but only in Baja sur. I’ve heard stories of guys getting turned around at San Felipe because they didn’t have them though.

Upvote 0

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    Get your paperwork, any problems 1st thing they ask for. Thought it was 4 rods per person ? Usually put 8 down middle couple 2 piece beach pier rods in mess, have fun Jaime Garcia ? Tell him Howdy. Have fun

0627171000a.jpg

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    Poles in middle, usually pull all the way to right, something to declare, open it up while getting paperwork stamped, if you get it through travel clubs in advance you don't have to wait in line if a bus trip or tour group is there

0808190809.jpg

Upvote 0

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
    Trabuco Canyon CA
    Name
    O
    Boat
    The Snapper Slapper
    Of course it is a shakedown. We parked, got our visas, and drove away. The guy who sent us over was none the wiser.
    Ass clowns at Mexicali will try and shake you down for anything and everything. They also claim the 7 day visa isn't free and they are out of those. They are totally corrupt and every single one there is in on it. Fuck them. I kept driving and didn't stop for them last time- pretended not to hear them whistling or waving (although that was a little scary)...

I've never driven past Guerro Negro. I've never been asked in 25 years driving baja norte for the visa at a military checkpoint.. Still if going thru TJ, pull over, it takes 10 minutes tops and they are professional. Nothing to it, no hassle, and piece of mind just in case.

I have had to present my tourist visa to the Mexican Fish and Game at the ramp in Bay of La for some reason. Didn't ask why just presented mex fishing licenses and tourist visas. No problems...

Stop and spend the 10 minutes...

Upvote 0
    Feb 28, 2016
    sb
    Name
    Jose Caballero
    Boat
    "Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
    Mexicali runs a racket, they target well-outfitted groups. They will hassle you every time, but I’ve never had another hassle with anyone in Baja (I’m a native speaker so maybe that helps?). I have been asked for my visa at a variety of military checks, or at least, for my “papers” which I take to mean passport and visa. The inspection between Norte and Sur is always more thorough. I’ve never returned a visa after a trip and I’ve stayed past day seven and never had a consequence btw. I always have it with me. I used to print it out online but I’ve heard that has changed recently...?

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Always get your paperwork. If something bad happens, it is just one more thing they will tack on when the charges are filed. You will have entered the country illegally without permits. Not worth it. They are easy to get when crossing at TJ.

Upvote 0

strk4

Oct 4, 2006
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22'
    Get your paperwork, any problems 1st thing they ask for. Thought it was 4 rods per person ? Usually put 8 down middle couple 2 piece beach pier rods in mess, have fun Jaime Garcia ? Tell him Howdy. Have fun

View attachment 1274777
    Leslie, i showed this picture to Jaime and he told me a story about a small scampi also a large White Sea bass. With colder water there were no yellows but we did well on the bottom fish with a lot of lings up to 12lbs. The second day we opted to try for halibut and calicos at the island. No halibut but good calico fishing up to 4-5lbs. We kept two injured ones. We then went back to bottom fish and it was quite slow. Jaime was getting concerned that we wouldn’t fill the box. But things turned around and in two hours we got all we wanted.
    We stay in a casita in Socorro where we can cook meals and vacuum pack and freeze the fish. Our host got us fresh clams for ceviche. Another great trip with no issues.

83E9A822-64F6-47A8-82B1-F1D60C9B314B.jpeg

DFD826DA-F103-43E5-800E-836348597BF5.jpeg

2335387F-E952-48AE-AA6D-BEA8E7C12838.jpeg

Upvote 0

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    Is that Fernandoes, we're you stay in Soccoro ? Did you fish down there, tried to fish with him , but a festival or something got in the way. Next time, Oh well, glad you had a good one , try to see Jaime in a few.

Upvote 0

Sloberdog

Almost A Member
    Jun 20, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    SeaPro 206 WAC F150
    This past February, we crossed via Mexicali for a 4 day trip to northern Baja to surf and fish...they forced us to purchase the 6-month visas for everyone in the group or they told us we would not be allowed to cross. Luckily for me, I brought my unexpired 5 month old visa and they accepted it like it was the golden ticket. So maybe, just purchase one and you are covered for 6 months and don't have to deal with any last minute shenanigans.

Would also be likely be better than nothing to have if fishing the Coronado Islands or the waters just off the Mexican coast...just in case you are boarded and they ask for your visa...though not technically the right one....but then again, I did not think the standard visa was good for multiple trips.

Upvote 0

strk4

Oct 4, 2006
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22'
    Is that Fernandoes, we're you stay in Soccoro ? Did you fish down there, tried to fish with him , but a festival or something got in the way. Next time, Oh well, glad you had a good one , try to see Jaime in a few.
    Yes, Fernando. We usually fish one day with him but he broke a couple toes. Been fishing with him over 10 years now. Been going to the community for many years. Did you know Ed Chain or Cliff Vine? Cliff passed away recently

Lboddy
    Lboddy
    Sorry to hear about Cliff. My condolences to his family.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

strk4

Oct 4, 2006
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22'
    Fernando enjoys our meals together. He looks forward to it. He calls me the chef, but the meals are always a group effort. I have many stories from down there, all of them good.

04047E7E-7225-459F-8518-14E719D4B111.jpeg

Upvote 0

Latest posts