rojo loco

Seas get Degrees!
Oct 29, 2012
So Cal
Name
Steve
Boat
Yah, That One!
Headed down to San Quintin Sunday 8/23 to fish with George Catian from K&M fishing yet again..... Crossed the border in Tecate and drove straight to to the Old Mill with no issues at all.

Monday 8/24: Conditions were calling for wind so we tried to hit it on the early side and left the dock by 5:15. Went straight to the mouth of the channel and made a bunch of macs and a few deans until around 5:45, then headed out to the 240 high spot. Got to the high spot at around 6 and it was going off. Birds working everywhere and so were the yellows. Luckily, we were the first boat out there so we were able to get on the full speed bite. Yellows were pushing bait right up to the high spot and crashing on it hard. My first cast I didn't even get to turn the handle three times before it got choooooooked by a 20 pounder. The bite was full speed on the surface iron for about an hour until the rest of the fleet showed and pushed them down. After they scattered we caught a couple more on the yoyo and one more on the iron. Funniest thing is they wouldnt even sniff a live mac or sardine. if we wouldve gone straight out and not made bait we easily couldve pulled on another 10 fish. After ye yellows, we headed back to the bay at around 12 and messed around with a few broomtail grouper. these things fight like hell. pound for pound those broomies fought harder than my 180lb bluefin... no joke. after snapping off five times on 60lb mono, we made the switch to 80lb and landed a few. All in all it was an epic day of fishing, and just another day in the life for George... lucky bastard. Much love to all the boys at K&M for their hospitality anf always putting us on fish. and Javier at the old mill for the amazing food and drinks at Eucalipto. Cant wait for the next trip.

Tight lines to all.

broomtail.jpg

SQ yellows.jpg

castone001

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2013
Murrieta
Name
Chris Stone
Boat
Dos Viejos
any reason you crossed at Tecate rather than San Ysidro? We are heading there in two weeks. I usually just go through San Ysidro and down the 1.

Reactions: rojo loco

rojo loco

Seas get Degrees!
Oct 29, 2012
So Cal
Name
Steve
Boat
Yah, That One!
any reason you crossed at Tecate rather than San Ysidro? We are heading there in two weeks. I usually just go through San Ysidro and down the 1.
I went through Tecate because I heard there was a checkpoint coming into Ensenada on the 1 on the toll road. Didnt even want to take the risk so we wen trough tecate.

Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
The check point I have been stopped at in the past was just south of where the Tecate route pops out in Sauzal on Mex one.

Reactions: rojo loco

rojo loco

Seas get Degrees!
Oct 29, 2012
So Cal
Name
Steve
Boat
Yah, That One!
The check point I have been stopped at in the past was just south of where the Tecate route pops out in Sauzal on Mex one.
Yeah they had that one setup about a month ago. Its been gone ever since.

Tunatamer89

kill fish
Aug 17, 2008
NP
Name
Kyle
Boat
some
where do you guys stay when down there? looking to do a november trip, trying to figure out what makes the most sense, time and money wise as i only get a week off a year.. thanks

Dogman619

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 6, 2012
Bahia de los Angeles. Spring Valley
Name
Chris
Boat
Sea Pro 18DC
where do you guys stay when down there? looking to do a november trip, trying to figure out what makes the most sense, time and money wise as i only get a week off a year.. thanks
Old Mill, old mill is nice,clean, and right on the water. Javier will take good care of you at the Old Mill..

Reactions: Tunatamer89