flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Well, it's just not every day that the 1/2 day boats out of San Pedro get into yellowfin tuna. So when I read the fish count for the Monte Carlo on Monday and confirmed it wasn't a misprint, it was time to drop everything and go fishing.

Tuesday morning my friend Stephen met me at my boat and we set out to see if we could find some local tuna. About 10 miles out of the harbor the water was deep purple-blue and 70 degrees.

It wasn't long before we spotted a kelp paddy and, given the conditions, we thought we might as well stop and throw some bait. To our surprise, a big school of yellows immediately rushed the boat. We could see free swimmers everywhere!

Stephen with the first fish of the day.

Me with a little yellow.

Stephen with one of the nicer grade fish.

We had a lot of fun catching these fish on our bass gear, keeping a few and releasing the rest. But eventually we decided to continue looking for tuna.

Shortly after leaving the paddy I noticed a tern that seemed very interested in a little stretch of water, so we headed in that direction and started marking fish at 40 feet. We put out a couple rapalas and after about 30 seconds both rods went off.

First tuna on the new boat!

Stephen's first tuna of the day.

We boxed the area and got another single fish.

It was now 9:00 a.m. and we stopped marking fish so we started trolling South. About half an hour later we get another single.

We box that area for two more fish.

We then headed back North again and eventually get another jig strike.

We also trolled through an area of gigantic 15+ pound bonito that fought just as hard if not harder than the tuna.

We picked up a small bluefin tuna as well, but didn't take a picture after a messy eyeball gaff.

We called it a day around noon and headed back to clean fish. Final count: 7 yellowfin tuna, 1 bluefin tuna, a few big bonito, and all the yellows you could want.

Word of advice: don't overshoot the fish, they are closer than you think. What are August and September going to be like?

Jonathan

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alex morataya

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 14, 2007
Burbank
Name
Alex
Boat
none
awesome pictures!
I don't think I've ever seen the fish so close.
thanks for sharing, got me all pumped up!

Alex

Upvote 0

Auggie

Mar 17, 2007
H.B.
Name
Gary
Boat
None
Man that was one of the coolest reports with great pics! Hit me up if you need a boat ho. Not afraid to scrub the boat after fishing either.

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Very,very,nice way for a plan to work out,were headed out in the a.m,as always excellent pictures,thanks Jonathan!

Upvote 0