GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
If you need a deckhand for your next otw Snipe hunting adventure, count me in. You never cease to amaze. Love the bait-in-hand shot.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
very nice seems like yesterday pic of you and wife fishing then no fishing baby on the way she is 2 now Wow how time flies and stellar pics as always

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Wow insane!! What a beautiful family!

Great report and pics!

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Jonathon she is growing so fast!!! Keep these pix as you will be at her graduation before you can blink!!! My son is six and seems like yesterday he was that age!! Great job again. Hope to fish with you again soon!! Jeff

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Always enjoy your pictures,you seem to always get the most out of a shot,your daughters growing up fast,everything about your report was great,Thanks!

Upvote 0

b-reel

Nov 20, 2011
Downey
Name
HP
Boat
none yet
Best part besides the 15lb line is the family part. Great job and it's true, you have made many people envious.

Upvote 0

fv1500

Fishn' Frank
Jul 6, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Frank
Boat
n/a
Saturday my wife and I decided to take our daughter out for a short local trip. We were not expecting this.

Our daughter is almost two now and gets bored easily, so my plan was look around the horseshoe to try to locate a school of cuda or maybe get lucky and find some leftover yellows.

Worst case scenario we could feed the birds and play in the bait tank. Low expectations family trip.

Anyway, we got to the boat at 9:00 a.m. and made our way to see Mike at San Pedro bait to get half a scoop of sardines (this is my daughter's favorite part of any fishing trip).

After playing with the bait, my daughter decided to take a nap while my wife and I headed outside of the harbor and started looking for birds.

I looked all over the north horseshoe but didn't see much. I could see several boats out on the 150, so naturally we headed north west in the opposite direction.

My daughter was still sleeping, so we decided to take a little look in the channel to see if we could find a kelp paddy holding some yellows. At about 10 miles out, my wife and I see several large boils off in the distance, but whatever it was sunk out before we got to them.

We kept going and then turned back around to see some terns working pretty hard. They were moving pretty fast, but we were able to get in front of them. I shut the boat down and brailed some bait.

To our surprise tuna started crashing everywhere....and not a single boat anywhere near us.

All I had set-up was a light tackle spinning combo - a Shimano Stradic 5000 FJ and a Trevala 66m rod with 15 pound test and a light wire circle hook. Oh well, that was going to have to do.

Instant hook-up on a small sardine. Within 30 seconds it was looking like I was going to get spooled so I ran up to the bow and my wife chased down the fish. As we were chasing the fish down I could see free swimming tuna everywhere up on the bow.

Eventually after getting my butt handed to me on the light spinning gear (too much fun by the way) I started to gain some ground and we were able to sink the gaff into a very nice yellowfin tuna.

The school was still with us and I landed three more much smaller fish in short order on more appropriate gear. Unfortunately after that my daughter was starting to look a little green, so we called it a day a noon and headed back to the slip.

If I had had some of my buddies with me we could have really messed them up. This was a big school and they really wanted to bite.

Great day.

Jonathan

Fun family day on the water. I enjoy viewing your pictures.

Upvote 0

imrfishing

Jul 22, 2009
Orange county
Name
Tom
Boat
Defiance admiral 220
Great fish !! We also caught one around 50 lb. 14 miles out around the birds and bait on the way home from cat yesterday. Good job, Those fish are hard to get on.

View attachment 605200

Saw boils on the way back from cat also. Wanted to stop and give it a shot so bad but my boat was having problems while fishing cat but decided to muscle it home anyway. Boat took a dump right before getting on the trailer at Davies. Better safe than sorry right? Congratulations btw. I tell myself "no regrets...." But I'm crying inside.

Reactions: neil c
Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Spectacular........

Upvote 0

Juny

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jorge Bee
Boat
15' Gregor
The little one will be fishing in no time.

Great report, as usual.

Upvote 0

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
Quality Jonathan, thanks.

Upvote 0