GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
Been itching to get back out there for several weeks, but just kept putting it off. Conditions were not very good, and almost just turned around when I got down to the water. Two swells and an onshore wind of 5-10mph made it very uninviting. Add to that a pretty low tide that made the launch all rocks and shallow reef. I decided that I would paddle out and see if the wind would die down. If not, I figured that I could fish above the kelp, which would reduce the effect of the slop some. Made some nice summertime bait in 9 - 11" Mackerel out around the kelp. Got out to the edge of the kelp and decided to go a bit further (about a mile) for one drift. If conditions did not change during the drift, there was always plan B still. Drop down my first 10" Greenie and send the downrigger camera down to keep an eye on it. Within 2 minutes of the camera hitting the bottom, a Hali was on my bait. Unfortunately, the visibility was poor and the video was not usable for YouTube. Fish was probably a 30+ incher, and was released. About an hour later, and on the same drift, I got picked up on a 10.5" Greenie. Big headshakes and lots of dead weight confirmed that my bait had hit the target. Ended up being 31lbs 6 oz and 41.5". Landed her, cleaned up and headed for the beach. Here is the video, including a sample of the conditions outside the kelp bed at the beginning.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
31# nice fish and a fish of a lifetime for most. You, just another day at the studio.

Congrats

Reactions: galen
Upvote 0

watersdeep

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Oh Man, that is so bad ass!

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
Do you launch off the beach?

Yes, the far end of the daily use state park. A few hundred yards up the beach from the Dome complex. There is a full length video including the launch and landing on my YouTube channel "MrGregAndrew"

Nice but I gotta ask, do you use Xanax for bait ? That Butt was soooo mellow.

Shhhs, everyone will be using it! "It's all about that gaff, bout that gaff, no trouble"

Good jib greg congrats

Thanks Mike, still working on that 50.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Man, that brings back my kayak fishing days... you forget what a delicate dance it is to catch, gaff, game clip... good job on making it look easy!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Awesome fish and video. Those big momma's can be sleepers.

My friend Devan got that exact size halibut on my boat a few weeks ago, and it did the same thing (minus the head shakes)!

Congrats!

Upvote 0