San Nicolas on the Eldorado 4/29

Boats&Hose

• Mar 17, 2021
    Los Alamitos
    Name
    Jeff Nikolas
    Boat
    Boats&Hose
    Keep your gunny sack at your feet and a sharp eye on your tackle, my buddie n I both got burned for a ling and had jigs cut right off our lines while they were not within eyeshot on a two for one last season,/ Skipper didnt give a rats ass. Tore up my extra trip ticket and handed it to him as we left the boat!
    I did not see any of those drama. I did end up one red short at the end but figured the deckhand probably dropped it in the wrong bag. When they went to clean my fish I was given two other smaller rockfish as some folks were over their limits so it was a wash. One younger fella was even giving away all his fish.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    The trip went great. We got good quality sardines at the bait receiver in San Pedro on the way out then the Eldorado met up with a squid trawler out somewhere near Catalina around midnight. Woke up once the engines cut out around 4 am and we were anchored in San Nic. Guys were allowed to fish the cut bait until it got to gray light before they opened up the live squid. Weather was windy and the current was ripping. We started out I was using a single dropper with live squid and 16 ounces but some guys were fishing the knocker rig off the stern. Only one yellowtail was landed about 30 lb. and some monster whitefish. Overall the early morning was slow. Around 9 we moved to a little deeper and the white fishing opened up. I was using a double dropper with one shrimp and the red HUB that you recommended. I caught a nice size goat and four quality whitefish all on the red hub. The shrimp was only catching small rockfish which all were released. After that fun we went out the the rockfish spot to do some drifting. With the current and wind the drift fishing was like nothing else. The boat was really organized about how we were to drift without getting tangled. One angler at a time would drop from the corner and follow their line until the ended up on the bow. Once there everyone would reel up and start the process over. This was all so new to me I tried several setups before becoming proficient. Once I got it down it was very successful. I used 16 onces on a double dropper with the 8 oz leadhead swimbait and a 3/0 circle hook on top. Baited the circle with a live sardine and the swimbait with a piece of bait fillet. That was the ticket and got a double hookup which made my arm sore today. The scene on the bow was just a steady stream of rockfish coming up 6-8 at a time and by the end every drop was an immediate hookup as the bite grew hotter. Most got limits of quality reds mixed with boccaccio, chuckleheads, and there were a few good lingcod too. About 12:30 capt said it was time to head in as lots of folks had limits. Brian made me a bacon cheeseburger and I slept while the crew cleaned fish for over 3 hours. It was an awesome trip and I ended up with about 10 lbs of fillets. Not bad for a novice. Next time I would ditch the swimbait entirely and just use the live bait until I had a limit. My 12 oz. octopus swimbait wouldn’t even hit the bottom on the drift so it helps to have the rig more streamlined.

View attachment 1276290

View attachment 1276291

View attachment 1276292

View attachment 1276293

Awesome report, thanks! Those are some quality eats right there. Man all those sacks are packed. Good job!

Upvote 0

Boats&Hose

• Mar 17, 2021
    Los Alamitos
    Name
    Jeff Nikolas
    Boat
    Boats&Hose
    Awesome report, thanks! Those are some quality eats right there. Man all those sacks are packed. Good job!
    Thanks for the tips man. Yeah it was such good times and a good deal too. Now knowing what to expect I think I could do even better. Already booked another trip towards the end of the month leaving 5/27.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Thanks for the tips man. Yeah it was such good times and a good deal too. Now knowing what to expect I think I could do even better. Already booked another trip towards the end of the month leaving 5/27.
    Nice! Yeah, my next trip on the Eldo is on June 5th. Also, that boat does a BOGO in December so be sure do book early since the weekend spots go fast (great deal!).

how/where was the YT caught? Bottom/surface? San Nic or Santa Barbara?

Upvote 0

Boats&Hose

• Mar 17, 2021
    Los Alamitos
    Name
    Jeff Nikolas
    Boat
    Boats&Hose
    The yt was caught on the live squid big dropper loop on the bottom of San Nic in about 85’. Yeah if they are still doing the bogo this year I might get a couple. Seems to be the the best boat at berth 55 which is also the closest landing to me. Maybe I will see you aboard someday.

Reactions: chilidip
    Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    The yt was caught on the live squid big dropper loop on the bottom of San Nic in about 85’. Yeah if they are still doing the bogo this year I might get a couple. Seems to be the the best boat at berth 55 which is also the closest landing to me. Maybe I will see you aboard someday.
    Thanks! Yep bound to run into you someday on the Eldo.

Upvote 0