SAN LUCAS COVE YELLOWTAIL TOAD FEST TOURNAMENT

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by CAPTRANDEL, Jan 28, 2010.

1. CAPTRANDEL

CAPTRANDEL Member

Name:
    Chris Randel
    Boat:
    CHIEF
    Hey gang we are going to have another San Lucas Cove Yellowtail tournament on May 22nd 2010 in the cove and the buy in is only $30.00 per person and that gets you and all you can eat buffet (all you can eat) plus all the Tecate you can drink as whe are bringing in coolers for the beer tables ect.We will cook all day for the buffet and its going to be big with a fireworks show after the awards stuff. And that will be big because I get to lite the Fireworks! going to be really cool.We will have 1st ,2nd and third place cash tourney winners and the grand prize of our huge raffel where we give cases of wine,toat bags ,rods ,tackle ect will win an all paid 2 day trip on the Indain . Not bad for a $30.00 buy in and you get to do battle with hugh Yellowtail around Isla San Marcos. Last year I got spooled on 50 lb test with a Diawa 2 speed and never got one turn on that beast.We do see 50 pound Yellows this time of year but very hard to land ,but if you are in the area come join the fun and fish for the big boys. contact Chris Randel at 619 523-8862 for info as I spend all of May with Capt Kevin Ward of the Spirt of Adventure at the cove that is 6oo miles South of San Diego down Bajas HWY 1. They offer overnight camping for $8.00 per night with hot showers,fish cleaning station,Fresh water hook ups ect,this place is friggin awsome!

2. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Is the weigh-in at the cove or on the island as in past years?

3. killerfin

killerfin You fight like a girl !!!

Name:
    Felipe
    Boat:
    Your Mama
    I think Memorial weekend would be a bigger turn out then the 22th. But its your show. I am for sure going to try to be there. There is some big tails that time of year i have caught a few and lost many lol. I hope the turn out is big.

4. sue-she

sue-she Newbie

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    nope
    I will get some guys together and try to make it!!!!! I sounds like a blast. Any excuse to cross over from San Carlos.

5. CAPTRANDEL

CAPTRANDEL Member

Name:
    Chris Randel
    Boat:
    CHIEF
    Last year we did everything in the cove

6. ARTURO

ARTURO Member

Name:
    Arturo
    Boat:
    22ft.Striper
    I was fishing the area May of 2009 and YUP, some fatties out there thats for sure.
    I will see if i can gather up some friends and make a drive down.

7. Surfdoc

Surfdoc The finger in the Dyke!

Name:
    Stan
    Boat:
    Mx Panga, MOJAC
    Hows the launch ramp in the cove ?

This could be interesting.

8. CAPTRANDEL

CAPTRANDEL Member

Name:
    Chris Randel
    Boat:
    CHIEF
    The ramp is good but gotta be on high tide and next door at Camachos you can launch at lower tides

9. curt lj.

curt lj. .

Name:
    curt ljungquist
    Boat:
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    The cement ramp in town at high tide is very easy. Then a short run to the cove to moore up if boat is big and heavy. Although i wouldn't leave my truck parked at the ramp area.

10. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    sounds good, I plan on being there!

11. voodoocaptain

voodoocaptain Time To Hunt

Summer: Newport Beach. Winter Spring fall: San Luc
    Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    17 BW MONTAUK
    Good post, Chris. I'm gonna take this opportunity to mention that for anyone who want to fish the tournament but doesn't have a boat, there are a few good guides locally there who can put you on fish. Anybody interested can PM me and I can make the connection for them......first come first served.

12. curt lj.

curt lj. .

Name:
    curt ljungquist
    Boat:
    22 sea cat/16 klamath

Good post Allen, I'd like to take the opportunity to ask if the Voodoo lounge will be open for business, and if you will be mixing drinks? Will the drinks be " first come first served as well" ? Thank You in advance. The elk looking for a few moose.

13. voodoocaptain

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    17 BW MONTAUK

Kurt....haven't spoken with Cpt. Randel yet but since we will probably host the tournament at the Voodoo Lounge/Club Dred (Kevin's place next to me) I see no reason why we shouldn't have cocktails again at the captain's meeting like we did before...

14. pura vida

pura vida Pura Vida II

Name:
    Gene Miller
    Boat:
    Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
    The ramp in town wasn't usable for any boats other than Pongas in November.

15. curt lj.

curt lj. .

Name:
    curt ljungquist
    Boat:
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    Thanks for that info. Were there too many pangas in the way or they just wouldn't let you use it ?

16. voodoocaptain

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    17 BW MONTAUK
    Kurt....the launch ramp was F$%Ked up by the hurricane last September....as recently as early January there had been no effort to repair it......if I were you, if you come down, is to rent a slip in the new marina...about 8 bucks a day, launch at Camacho's just north of us and fish out of the marina each morning, easy bait right there....we did that last May (me, Kevin and Captain Randel) and it worked out great.....plus we hung out in the marina pool every afternoon while nursing a couple six pax....hope to see you down there....Alan

17. voodoocaptain

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    17 BW MONTAUK
    Kurt...forgot to add...the Marina is brand new state of the art, with 24 hour security..........and a pool and jacuzzi......

18. curt lj.

curt lj. .

Name:
    curt ljungquist
    Boat:
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    Allen, thanks for the update, last batch of trips we were doing just what you said. I'm over getting stung by those little f-ers wading back and forth.

19. CAPTRANDEL

CAPTRANDEL Member

Name:
    Chris Randel
    Boat:
    CHIEF
    Leaving Kevins boat (Champ) at the marina was a life saver, totally new docks with a store and get you fuel right there at a fair price,no lugging gas cans thru Stingray alley at 4am.We would load our gear early in the dark and do the short drive into town pick up Ice and board the boat.Here is the real bonus just 300 feet from the marina you can make bait most of the time really easy and off you go.when we get back in there are fresh water hoses to clean up the boat and a pool above the store and that is a MUST do after a hot day on the water"C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Pictures\San Luca

Attached Files:

20. captainkelly

captainkelly kmfishing.com

Name:
    kelly catian
    Boat:
    2520 Parker pilothouse, 2310 Parker cuddy, 2120 Parker pilothouse, 26' Superpanga
    Sounds super fun, im gonna try and do it! Either take one of the Parkers or talk "Sea Esta" into draggin the Mako