jrodda

Your Ad Here!
Sep 8, 2012
United States
Name
Jeremy Rodda
Boat
15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
I've spent some time daydreaming about a private boat trip to San Juan Seamount (as well as Rodriguez Seamount). Consistently gnarly conditions in those areas. 15-30kn wind and 6-10'+ swells on the regular, or so the internet/forecasts say. Haven't been there so I wouldn't know.

I hear there have historically been some fucking gigantic bluefin over there, generally impossible to even land because they use the 12,000' water column to their full advantage.

The whole thing sounds wild and impossible, which makes it interesting.

What would be a safe sized private boat to take to an area like this? Could a Radon/Farallon of any size do it? Would it take a sportfisher? Are all of the above pithy efforts, and you need to charter/convince a LR skipper to take you? Or is it just that anybody who's gone has taken advantage of the one calm day a year you get there?

Any stories/experiences regarding SJ/Rodriguez/Davis will be met with much delight. And when this falls from the top page of threads but you still wanna share a story, please do PM me, I can't get enough of this stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratshirt

Ratshirt

Mar 25, 2007
Oregon
Name
Ratshirt
Boat
none
I have done the San Juan once on a 30 foot jigboat. I do not recommend this. Have tow and casualty insurance and your will finalized before trying. Even in the Summer the weather is unforgiving. Ripped our steering completely off. Rudders gone and tore out the rudder posts. Coast guard was not exactly happy to have to come all the way out there in shitty conditions either.

• Wow
Reactions: jrodda
Upvote 0

rick Jackson

"Carpe diem"
  • May 28, 2015
    Name
    RIP Jim Peterson
    Boat
    Glasspar Avalon/SeaQuest
    Rip Gary Nordbye use to take his open party Sportfisher 65' by 20' Outer Limits out there during the later months in the summer. Not an easy place to get to, sometimes
    in pays off big time.

Upvote 0

BluefinCurly

Skipper
    Aug 15, 2004
    Central Texas
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    I fished that area extensively commercially in the early 80's. I can tell you it is not a place to be caught with our pants down.
    You will need plenty of fuel, and a broad window of favorable weather.
    I would think that October would be about right.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I've spent some time daydreaming about a private boat trip to San Juan Seamount (as well as Rodriguez Seamount). Consistently gnarly conditions in those areas. 15-30kn wind and 6-10'+ swells on the regular, or so the internet/forecasts say. Haven't been there so I wouldn't know.

I hear there have historically been some fucking gigantic bluefin over there, generally impossible to even land because they use the 12,000' water column to their full advantage.

The whole thing sounds wild and impossible, which makes it interesting.

What would be a safe sized private boat to take to an area like this? Could a Radon/Farallon of any size do it? Would it take a sportfisher? Are all of the above pithy efforts, and you need to charter/convince a LR skipper to take you? Or is it just that anybody who's gone has taken advantage of the one calm day a year you get there?

Any stories/experiences regarding SJ/Rodriguez/Davis will be met with much delight.
    Did you ever watch Gilligan's Island. You can be part 2.

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
    Carp, CA, USA
    Name
    Steve T.
    Boat
    soon2B
    Been to the Rodriquez/Arguello quite a few times on my friend's 34 commercial boat.
    First time on a report that the albacore were out there by another commercial guy back in the 90's.
    They hadn't been around for 13 years up to that point and we went snooping around.
    We ended up being the first boat to find 'em and put 36 on deck for 6 of us in an hour, we called the Seahawk in on the school (they were out snoopn' with us) and they put a 100+ onboard.
    It was a shitshow getting out there, the weather at the top of the channel was horrible, My buddy said not to worry it's going to lay down, and sure enough when we got about 20 miles off the back of Miguel it went flat calm.
    It can work the other way around too.
    Be careful, it changes in a heartbeat out there.

Reactions: jrodda and kbray001
    Upvote 0

fishboy93

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 25, 2012
    West Coast
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    It floats
    Need Santa Anna conditions typically September/October. Weather is almost always nasty until you pass the wind funnel of Miguel and the inside channel. Know guys who’ve taken 20’ skiffs to the rodriquez in good weather windows. Hardest part is bait being that Santa Barbara doesn’t or didn’t have live bait.

Upvote 0

Latest posts