San Felipe Consag Rock

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by steelfish, May 7, 2019.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    after a 5 month hiatus outta the water (wind, work, family, etc) I had the chance to use for the 1st time my first ever custom rod (built from a blank and accesories) built by yours truly.
    https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/my-first-rod-built-steelman-by-steelfish.705943/

this rod might be overkill for the zone I was going to fish, which is a rock Island at 20 miles infront of the town we call it the Consag Island, normally fisheries there are spanish macks, corvinas, triggerfish and with some luck also groupers, but I was with the urge to use the new rod and feel how it work while trolling some deep diving lures and maybe how it works with a nice fish, I must say I love it, liked the action of the rod, its a Seeker composite 130lb 6ft, for being a 130# rod it has a nice flex even with smaller fish like the Sierras (spanish macks) of 6-8 lb, after some hours fishing I found out it wasnt that bad idea to use that rod cuz after catching some sierras and some 4-5# corvinas my partner caught a big grouper of an estimated of 30-35# maybe a bit more (sorry no pics), so, chances are I could had caught that one with my rod LOL, so, better to be prepared for a nice fight than undergunned, anyway, the fishing was slow for most of the day, maybe 30 minutes before we called a day I caught another nice grouper, not as big as the one of my partner but almost 20#, it gave a really nice fight, of course the rod could handled it with no much problems as well as the mak15, after that fish we trolled for a bit more but no much luck so we called it a day and took the panga back to land.

few pics of the fishing day and the grouper which it was catch & fillet
    in few more days Sierras should be all over the Consag rock

2 20190505_065634 at.jpg 4 20190505_131358 at.jpg 5 IMG-20190505-WA0001 at.jpg 3 20190505_081427 at.jpg 7 20190505_160634 at.jpg 8 20190506_000742 at.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Atta' boy Alex!

3. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
  4. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
  5. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Nice work Alex! The rod looks great in action and glad that Mak is working out for you!

6. surf launch

surf launch Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    That rock is a underwater "Garden of Eden" in an other wise barren sandy northern gulf. I've had some epic grouper fishing there as well

7. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    bobrehfuss
    Boat:
    Parker 2520
    Looks like a great day!

8. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Thanks guys, the rod is amazing, sensitive enough for my fisheries and pretty strong and fishing in that rock its always fun, you should try it if you have the chance