www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Maybe the flamingos were from here:

Busch Gardens
Closed: 1979

Scene: Birds and beer. The 17-acre spread included a monorail that snaked around the Anheuser-Busch beer plant. There were also lagoons and boat rides, which showed off more than 1,000 birds including flamingos, storks, toucans and herons. Amusement park rides were added.

The End: Closed so the brewery could expand.

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-animal-theme-parks-20141112-story.html
It's possible

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: Blackfish

Blackfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
Mike, all good comments.

But they were pointed out to me by adults. And they were quite the attraction to the adults. And they hung around there for quite awhile.

For me, I was not that wowed, as I just wanted to mess around.

I know what I saw, and I knew back then what a flamingo was and looked like. They were fascinating birds to me when I was a kid. The exhibit at the SD zoo was always a favorite for me.

You also have to take into account that people back then were not so excited about wildlife and nature like they are now, and people didn’t walk around with a camera in their pocket.

No big if people do t believe me. It’s like story I share about catching albacore a few miles out of Dana point harbor in November back in 2000-2001.

I have to go now. I need to check my trail cams, because I’m pretty sure I saw Big Foot last week. :D

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
One time I did magic mushrooms and saw a flamingo, but then realized it was just a mirror I was looking at.

Reactions: mrkrabs

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
The Wild Animal Park is just upstream and opened in 72. It's not just horse parks in Olivenhain, there's some weird stuff back there, I wouldn't be surprised if they came from a private collection back there either.

That said if some high schoolers spray painted some herons I can't say that I'd be the wiser myself.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Grew up fishing the DM rivermouth -Agua Hedionda rivermouth. We took it as far as making smelt in Agua Hedionda and putting them into a tub with aerators. Then into the back of a truck. Then to what ever body of water we wanted to fish with live smelt

San Elijo is the only lagoon we didn't fish. Just gross from surfing out front, stinky. I have seen for sure the, American White Pelican in San Elijo lagoon. I have seen them east of the free way near mira costa college a few times. I have also seen the white pelican closer to the mouth. Good they are going to dredge it. My folks moved above the lagoon for a few years and it had stagnant still water far back. When DM opened the rivermouth the houses near the freeway sued the city because thier property flooded. Yet they built in a marsh. Enviros must of won because its open now.

Hard to imagine that many legal halibut in san elijo. Really sucks so many died hopefully its for the greater good and more will be born replacing the fish kill because of the project. Maybe we should had fished it

Either table tops, sea side reef, cardiff reef, suck outs, camp grounds, swamis and more surf breaks. Are going to get better or turn into garbage while the lagoon heals

Suck outs with more out going flow on low tide could be sick

Pic from 8 years ago, with another fresh new sick quiver ready to relocate to costa rica. Stagnant water. Smelled walking the trail, Gross. Lagoon nurserys need tidal flush
1209675_80b15fabbbd497626a01c881e24325ae (1).jpg

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
We used to go look at the flamingos in the lagoon by the mall in Carlsbad when I was kid growing up there. They were very reel and there weren't any magic mushrooms involved........at least not for that

Reactions: Blackfish

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Unless someone is in charge of keeping a tally Im calling BS on that many legals.

Can we start a petition to bring back the flamingos,Im talking about the pink ones.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I have my doubts on 1000 legals

My buddy keeps taking pics of peacocks in his yard in carlsbad

My grandparents live in Palos Verdes. Christmas morning we would go look for peacocks. Back in the 80s

Carlsbad. Free roaming peacock. This one wanted to mate with my buddy or Jason
FB_IMG_1547843128593.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Yellowtail Dan

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Shoots, here in Carp a friend of mine back in the 80's that lived back on Shepard;s Mesa had a neighbor that had peacocks and hens that got out of their pens and populated the hills behind his place.
Occasionally he would go back there with a 22 and pick off a couple of peahens out of a tree and we'd clean 'em and wrap the breast meat in foil and cook underground in an emu.
Farkn' unbelievably good eating, just like pheasant.

4Bigeye2na

Jan 7, 2015
Name
Ed
Boat
Searay
Shoots, here in Carp a friend of mine back in the 80's that lived back on Shepard;s Mesa had a neighbor that had peacocks and hens that got out of their pens and populated the hills behind his place.
Occasionally he would go back there with a 22 and pick off a couple of peahens out of a tree and we'd clean 'em and wrap the breast meat in foil and cook underground in an emu.
Farkn' unbelievably good eating, just like pheasant.
That's probably what happened to the flamingos. I hear they taste like a cross between Spotted Owls and Pelican.

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
Mike, my sighting, and on multiple occasions was back in 77-79. I am 100% positive what I saw. I would hop on the city bus or ride my bike to that that lagoon almost every weekend and either fish it, or just screw around. Then go screw around the mall or catch a movie at the “walk ins” or go hike around the eucalyptus forest. Best times of my life. Life before video games. Ha

May not change your mind, but here is a link to the subject. I'm not the only one who has seen or heard about the Flamingo's from the "70's."

https://www.revolvy.com/page/Buena-Vista-

Edit to add link.
I saw them . We all would drive down just to see them in 76, 77..So sorry. It was the 70s ..But we were kinda sober when we would leave to go see them..Just sayn....We were told they were from the San Diego Zoo...