San Elijo lagoon project

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Isaiah M. R., Jan 15, 2019.

1. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    I not sure about the San Elijo Lagoon mitigation project other than having surfed there a few times a week. I will say the Cardiff to Seaside beaches has been really messed up since they began their work. I was very involved with the Bataguitos Lagoon mitigation project I worked with my daughter who did water testing throughout out the lagoon when it was reopened? As part of the project we had access tothe research that SAIC did who had oversight with that project. As an estuary and nursery there has been a 200 percent increase juvenile fish in the lagoon supporting species from yellowtail, barracude, calico bass, to halibut. Hopfully in the long term the San Elijo protect will provide the same benefits.

Cubeye likes this.
  2. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Wasn't that about the time magic mushrooms were the big thing? LOL ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

skrilla and marlyn like this.
  3. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Maybe. I was only in 4th or 5th grade. I was more into coke. As in Coke-cola.

marlyn and ?? fisherman like this.
  4. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    On a more serious note now.

Mike, I'm not sure what your link is about, because all it shows is random info stuff on Buena Vista. That said, since I have known you on here for years and trust who you are, there is no reason for me not to believe you.......but there are quite a few good reasons for me to believe what you saw as a young kid might very well have been another large type of bird that also likes to frequent lagoons. Who knows, maybe you truly did see some flamingos, but I'll explain why its seems very iffy.

First off, you stated that you saw not one but a few flamingos in the lagoon, and numerous times at that. Ok, so lets think about that.... flamingos are a large bird and they travel by air, and like I said, SD has a healthy amount of bird enthusiasts.....so you would surely think that between the bird freaks and non bird freaks (yes, even in the 70's and 80's), there would be a few who saw these large birds flying into and out of the lagoons.....I mean they sure didn't miss this last one in 2018, and that was just one bird....it got noticed right away and made news.

The fact that you are saying more than one flamingo and on more than one occasion also makes it a little hard to grasp, for the simple reason that it would almost have to be crazy staggering odds of many things linning up for that to happen, but it definitely could I suppose!

Those staggering odds for multiple flamingos would have to go something like this.....

Most all believe if it did happen at all, it would have to be flamingos from the SD Zoo, Sea World or some other place or person who possibly has some, either for show at a fancy hotel or a private parties own personal collection.

The SD Zoo is out as they have stated that they dont clip the wings of their flamingos, but rather do a procedure which keeps them from being able to fly, and although I dont know this for fact, I am pretty sure SeaWorld does this as well.

So that leaves us with some fancy hotel or private partys personal collection, and those would likely have their wings clipped. It would be pretty odd and not likely that a small group of flamingos with clipped wings suddenly looked at each other one day and got the idea and urge to make a break and all fly off all at the same time. And this could only happen if all regrew their clipped feathers back at the same rate, and somehow their keeper forgot not only to reclip one birds feathers, but all?

If you guys both said you saw one, that would be far more easy to grasp, but seeing a few........ it just doesn't seem too plausible.

And that leaves only the true wild ones finding their way here. Hey, anything can happen right!? And surely it could and crazier things have, but most all of those have been highly witnessed, photographed and recorded. I'm purely thinking that had there been these flamingos lurking for quite some time in our local lagoons, then there surely should have been some trustworthy documentation of this, yet it doesn't seem there is any solid info, pics or the likes found on this?

I know this.....I have an 11 year old daughter right now, and at that age things can often be highly exagerated, and boys are even worse! LOL My buddies boys can see or hear something camping or the likes, and the next thing you know they are telling their buds they saw or heard a gigantic warewolf when in fact it was dads stomache growling while a small coyote past by in the dark shadows while they were all sitting by the campfire. Kids are soooo fun!!!! LOL LOL.

Who knows Mike, maybe you guys did see a bunch of flamingos, because it's definitely not totally out of the question.

But im assuming you were possibly a young imaginative and exploring kid back in the 70's and 80's, so maybe just maybe those big cool flamingos were just another large swamp bird!

The best of times in life were being a kid. Do we ever have friends quite like we did as kids :)... can you say Goonies! ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  5. stuman

stuman Brawndo the thirst mutilator

Name:
    stu
    Boat:
    skiff
    Maybe the flamingos were from here:

Busch Gardens
    Closed: 1979

Scene: Birds and beer. The 17-acre spread included a monorail that snaked around the Anheuser-Busch beer plant. There were also lagoons and boat rides, which showed off more than 1,000 birds including flamingos, storks, toucans and herons. Amusement park rides were added.

The End: Closed so the brewery could expand.

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-animal-theme-parks-20141112-story.html

Blackfish likes this.
  6. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    It's possible

Blackfish likes this.
  7. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Mike, all good comments.

But they were pointed out to me by adults. And they were quite the attraction to the adults. And they hung around there for quite awhile.

For me, I was not that wowed, as I just wanted to mess around.

I know what I saw, and I knew back then what a flamingo was and looked like. They were fascinating birds to me when I was a kid. The exhibit at the SD zoo was always a favorite for me.

You also have to take into account that people back then were not so excited about wildlife and nature like they are now, and people didn’t walk around with a camera in their pocket.

No big if people do t believe me. It’s like story I share about catching albacore a few miles out of Dana point harbor in November back in 2000-2001.

I have to go now. I need to check my trail cams, because I’m pretty sure I saw Big Foot last week. :D

8. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    One time I did magic mushrooms and saw a flamingo, but then realized it was just a mirror I was looking at.

mrkrabs likes this.
  9. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    The Wild Animal Park is just upstream and opened in 72. It's not just horse parks in Olivenhain, there's some weird stuff back there, I wouldn't be surprised if they came from a private collection back there either.

That said if some high schoolers spray painted some herons I can't say that I'd be the wiser myself.

10. stuman

stuman Brawndo the thirst mutilator

Name:
    stu
    Boat:
    skiff
    One time I did a flamingo and saw magic mushrooms

mrkrabs likes this.
  11. knot keely

knot keely Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None (yet)
    My wife told me to stop acting like a flamingo, so I had to put my foot down.

12. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    EDF39D43-8E67-4DA9-8CCE-B290794516B1.jpeg

mrkrabs likes this.
  13. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Grew up fishing the DM rivermouth -Agua Hedionda rivermouth. We took it as far as making smelt in Agua Hedionda and putting them into a tub with aerators. Then into the back of a truck. Then to what ever body of water we wanted to fish with live smelt

San Elijo is the only lagoon we didn't fish. Just gross from surfing out front, stinky. I have seen for sure the, American White Pelican in San Elijo lagoon. I have seen them east of the free way near mira costa college a few times. I have also seen the white pelican closer to the mouth. Good they are going to dredge it. My folks moved above the lagoon for a few years and it had stagnant still water far back. When DM opened the rivermouth the houses near the freeway sued the city because thier property flooded. Yet they built in a marsh. Enviros must of won because its open now.

Hard to imagine that many legal halibut in san elijo. Really sucks so many died hopefully its for the greater good and more will be born replacing the fish kill because of the project. Maybe we should had fished it

Either table tops, sea side reef, cardiff reef, suck outs, camp grounds, swamis and more surf breaks. Are going to get better or turn into garbage while the lagoon heals

Suck outs with more out going flow on low tide could be sick

Pic from 8 years ago, with another fresh new sick quiver ready to relocate to costa rica. Stagnant water. Smelled walking the trail, Gross. Lagoon nurserys need tidal flush
    1209675_80b15fabbbd497626a01c881e24325ae (1).jpg

14. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Why or how did they kill those halibut?

15. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
    :eek:
    y5KNiy7.gif

16. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    By removing the water then driving heavy equipment back and forth over it.

marlyn likes this.
  17. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    We used to go look at the flamingos in the lagoon by the mall in Carlsbad when I was kid growing up there. They were very reel and there weren't any magic mushrooms involved........at least not for that

Blackfish likes this.
  18. c-goat

c-goat HELL BENT FOR FEATHER

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Unless someone is in charge of keeping a tally Im calling BS on that many legals.

Can we start a petition to bring back the flamingos,Im talking about the pink ones.

19. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    I have my doubts on 1000 legals

My buddy keeps taking pics of peacocks in his yard in carlsbad

My grandparents live in Palos Verdes. Christmas morning we would go look for peacocks. Back in the 80s

Carlsbad. Free roaming peacock. This one wanted to mate with my buddy or Jason
    FB_IMG_1547843128593.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Yellowtail Dan likes this.
  20. PoolMan

PoolMan 7 'dines short of a full scoop

Name:
    Chuck G
    Boat:
    8' sabot #69
    Yes. Peacocks in Carlsbad and Vista too.