HighWildFree

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
What’s the project ? Dredging? Sucks to loose 1000 legal halibut. That’s a lot for one area.

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
Funny how these wetlands areas got so much protection from public use.No fishing,kayaking,swimming etc. but when Caltrans needs to do something they can destroy the environment.That project right off of Manchester road has all but destroyed that whole marsh.

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Just talked to the construction supervisor in charge of the project. He said they killed over 1,000 legal halibut ... some over 30 pounds. Not to mention all the other fish they killed. It doesn't make sense or seem right at all.
What is the project?

HighWildFree

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
I love fishing that lagoon too. Started fishing it as a kid on Vacations to Carlsbad, still love the area today.

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
Name
Julian
Boat
Team Salty Dream
I live off of Birmingham and i would do the supervisor a favor and take those butts off his hands anytime. I’m sure some of those workers are eating real nice.

atun53

Nov 27, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Chris Johnson
Boat
Skiff
That project is also doing a great job of pushing silt into the Cardiff Reef area where the MLPA is located. Not sure what the point of a no take area is when the habitat is being destroyed. All that silt will do more damage than fisherman ever could.

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
The silt comment above is so true. All summer long the northward shoreline current pushed that stuff up towards Swami's. Now it is flowing south toward Seaside.

Reactions: atun53

Isaiah M. R.

Nov 9, 2010
Ocean Beach
Name
Isaiah
Boat
60' Viking
I live off of Birmingham and i would do the supervisor a favor and take those butts off his hands anytime. I’m sure some of those workers are eating real nice.
No the workers are not allowed to eat or take them. Just killed.

SSUfish

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
I thought I read somewhere that the dredging is meant to bring the habitat back to its original status. Taking out the silt would encourage critters like shrimp to live and there by other fish/animals. I swear I read something about there used to be flamingos in that area?

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
There are a lot of things going on with the lagoon. First, the dredging is intended to provide additional mud-flat habitat at lower tide, while also allowing a deep water channel to more effectively bring sediments through the lagoon and out to the beach. The widening of the underpass to the freeway will also help to reduce the sedimentation. While this project is not intended to create a large bay like we see at Agua Hedionda, Batiquitos, and San Dieguito Lagoons, the added depth in the channel will enhance fish pupping habitat. Overall, this project will both help bring sand to the beach and more saltwater deeper into the lagoon.

Reactions: MarktheShark56

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
I swear I read something about there used to be flamingos in that area?
Yes, there use to be Flamingo's there. I use to fish that area when I was kid. Saw them nany times. Only three or four birds. I was always told that they escaped from the SD Zoo.
Edit: it was the Buena Vista Lagoon I saw them, but I would be possible they foraged in both lagoons. ?

Never underestimate the amount of destruction the Government can do, all in the name of progress and saving the environment. LOL

Last edited:

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Well to the best of my knowledge, there has only been one (very lonely) Flamingo recorded hanging out in all of SD, and ironically, that was pretty recent and in Feb of 2018 in Imperial Beach. SD is home to TONS of Audobon Society bird watching freaks, who network and keep very tight tabs on things, and especially something as rare to here as a Flamingo, and all is kept on record. When this latest one was spotted, the word was out real quick like, and it was all over the news shortly after. Below is a link to the 2018 IB Flamingo....the only one that seems to be recorded and on file ;)

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/animals-flamingoes-san-diego-birds/

The unknown fisherman:p:

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
Mike, my sighting, and on multiple occasions was back in 77-79. I am 100% positive what I saw. I would hop on the city bus or ride my bike to that that lagoon almost every weekend and either fish it, or just screw around. Then go screw around the mall or catch a movie at the “walk ins” or go hike around the eucalyptus forest. Best times of my life. Life before video games. Ha

May not change your mind, but here is a link to the subject. I'm not the only one who has seen or heard about the Flamingo's from the "70's."

https://www.revolvy.com/page/Buena-Vista-

Edit to add link.

Last edited:
Reactions: stuman