San Diego this weekend, who should I charter?

llorca

net work
Mar 31, 2010
Miami, Florida
Name
Chris
Boat
net work
Howdy all,

I'm heading down to San Diego this weekend from NorCal as I've been dying to get out on the water again. (Moved from Miami about 3 years ago and haven't yet fished the Pacific).

Anyhow, I was curious if anyone had any good recommendations for a charter down there... or if any of the forum members were heading out I'd love to go with!

What runs out here? I've seen some monster tuna on here and if I could land even one of those that would be awesome. Suggestions? Tips? All welcome!

Upvote 0

bmtrout77

GO ILLINI
Feb 3, 2007
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
NADA
Most of the 3/4 day boats out here are good and give you a shot at something with some size. You aren't going to find any "monster" tuna, or tuna at all for that matter this time of year unless you go long....like reeeeeal long. Most of those cows and super cows are caught on trips of 10 days or more. There are also quite a few boats doing Coronado Island overnight trips right now running every night, that gets you a few more hours on the water and a shot at the yellows at gray light. Good luck and have fun!!

Upvote 0

llorca

net work
Mar 31, 2010
Miami, Florida
Name
Chris
Boat
net work
Ah dang, was hoping for some Tuna regardless of size.

so what do you guys think I should do? If I do a sportfish charter, whats running down there this time of year? I'm a total pacific n00b. I've been seeing all the sails my friends were catching back home all "winter" and now I'm dying to get out there and hear some screamin' reels.

Should I just save my $$ and go with a party boat for bottom dropping some yellowtail? Again, I'm open to all sorts of suggestions as I haven't fished out west before.

Thanks for all the tips folks, it's greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

fly liner

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
you can run some local trips and put some fillets on the grill around now but if you want real fins wait a couple months and get on a 1.5 day or more and go get some freezer bags.

Upvote 0

llorca

net work
Mar 31, 2010
Miami, Florida
Name
Chris
Boat
net work
I called the prowler and it sounds like they have a couple of overnight trips this weekend (Friday night / Saturday night).

Is there a difference between whats running during the day and whats running at night out here? Again, sorry for the nubbish questions. :D

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Usally the overnight boats run farther to fish the banks.They run at night and you are on the grounds by greylight.The 3/4 day boats leave in the morning and more than likely will fish the Coronado Is or a few miles south of that (Rock Pile) The majoity of fish being caught right now are California Yellowtail at the Rock Pile. The over night boats have a roough time charging their rates just to go to the pile when you can ride the 3/4 day boat for alot less. The over night boats will fish a little longer because they will not get back to the docks untill after 8:00 pm. I would get on a 3/4 day boat first (The San Diego) is one of the best and wait a month or so for the Tuna to take an overnight boat (Prowler,Producer)

Upvote 0

Crash

Feb 27, 2004
Mountain View CA
Visit site
Name
Robert Young
Boat
20' Skippy
Hey there Chris, right down the street from you. i am probably heading down to San Diego next Wednesday to fish the Islander for a 3 day trip - thursday thru sunday. Most likely no Tuna but very good chance for some YellowTail. price is right $495 including food, never fished the boat but have heard good things. If your into it LMK, I also have a Skipjack and fish tuna like a mad man once they show up our way, stay in touch.

Upvote 0

llorca

net work
Mar 31, 2010
Miami, Florida
Name
Chris
Boat
net work
Just checked wunderground, looks like partly cloudy for the weekend.

Strange, I didn't know rain / clouds passed through SoCal. Ah well, I hope I can at least bag a couple keepers and bloody myself up a bit. Lets get salty

Upvote 0

llorca

net work
Mar 31, 2010
Miami, Florida
Name
Chris
Boat
net work
Crash, it was hard enough getting Monday off -- next time I'll take the entire week. Yeah definitely let me know what you bring back up here to MV as I would love to have some fresh Hamachi! :)

Thanks for the suggestion SitOn / nochinges. I'll definitely look into the 3/4 day trip.

Upvote 0

Pooberto

Apr 9, 2010
San Diego, CA
Name
Nick Pooh
Boat
only in my dreams
Take a 3/4 day to get the hang of it... the San Diego out of seaforth has good numbers and has been fishing rockpile lately, but the deck hands arent very helpful if ur a noobernaut.

The 3/4 day on the malihini out of H&m might be better if u need help. not as good numbers usually but still good.

if u want tuna wait til june and take a 1.5-3 day trip

Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
Another great way to go would be to jump on one of the 4-pack or 6-pack charter boats. BD lists a few of them here:
California Charter Boats and Services - Bloodydecks.com

Also a guy on this board "Tailwalker" runs a smaller charter operation, but he may not be in San Diego yet.

Put your name on the 2010 Boat Ho list also. A lot of guys with private boats occasionally have room for extra anglers and crew to help share costs for gas and other expenses.

Upvote 0

llorca

net work
Mar 31, 2010
Miami, Florida
Name
Chris
Boat
net work
Thanks for all the tips everybody, I'm definitely going to bookmark this thread for future visits down to SD.

I ended up going out on Easter Sunday with my girlfriend on the Mission Belle. The crew was amazing, really friendly, and really fun to spend the day with. There weren't too many of us on board that day I think we totaled under 15. We rented to rods and reels and set out.

We hit up a couple of spots before closing the day on the rock pile and another spot en route back to point loma. The bite was spotty, we spent a decent amount of time bouncing from one spot to the next, but each time we moved we would at least bring up a Bonito so we didn't feel like we were chasing fantasy fish.

We came up on several schools of yellowtail and I think we landed about 6 ~ 7 for the day. I was fishing near the captain when he hooked up on one on a yoyo and he handed me the rod. I gladly accepted.

All in all it was a really fun trip and will definitely be coming back in a couple months for some tuna action.

We took some nice shots while out on the water so here's a few:
25460_421462978775_500043775_5267531_181429_n.jpg

25460_421463428775_500043775_5267549_2292147_n.jpg

25460_421463868775_500043775_5267564_428289_n.jpg

25460_421464298775_500043775_5267589_6195394_n.jpg

25460_421464543775_500043775_5267598_6832996_n.jpg

25460_421465588775_500043775_5267626_3405008_n.jpg

25460_421465838775_500043775_5267631_7226158_n.jpg

25460_421466003775_500043775_5267634_2474234_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
wow...awesome to have such a light load out there....I was a deckhand and really feel some people have too much Fing pride to take a hooked fish from a crew....I think its crap. You get so jacked up feelin the fish you end up fishing harder and you get the skunk of your back in a hard bite. Now you know what it all feels like out west. Watch learn and you will be hanging your own before you know it! My fav job as being a deckhand was burrying hooks and letting kids reel tuna in! I still have a pick of a 80lb bluefin that I handed off to a 16 yr old that didnt get bit for over a day! Once he landed that fish he actually began to hook his own stuff. If you are new too a scene never feel bad to catch some help as thats how we all learned...some younger and some older. I feel fortunate that my Dad taught me a lifetime worth before he passed away when I was 9. All knowledge after was Gravy IMO...I have a feeling tuna in June will be epic this year!

Upvote 0

llorca

net work
Mar 31, 2010
Miami, Florida
Name
Chris
Boat
net work
Thanks JJones! I've been fishing since I can remember and am not too prideful to ever learn from someone else. Yeah I was definitely lucky it was a light load... probably because it was a little breezy and overcast out there but I got used to it.

I'm definitely not too prideful to reel in a hooked fish, especially since I was on rented gear and no yoyo like those yellows like to chew on so I was more than happy with it.

It was also the only opportunity I would have had for a yellowtail until the next time we went out, so I was all for it. Hope to be back down there soon.

Upvote 0

Wayne K Dolik

Jan 25, 2008
Oceanside
www.SanDiegoCutlery.com
Name
Wayne K Dolik
Boat
Other Peoples
H&M in San Diego. The 3/4 day Malihini just returned Friday 4/15/10, 9 guys caught 36 yellow tail. And, Chuck Taft's Sea Adventure II has done well on yellows too. It's a 1 day boat. If I was going this weekend I would think about these 2.

Upvote 0

llorca

net work
Mar 31, 2010
Miami, Florida
Name
Chris
Boat
net work
Thanks Wayne. The weekend came and went (I'll update the post title shortly) but the thread is still valid for anyone looking to take a trip out of San Diego. I saw the Malihini on the water when I went out though we were a bit late to the yellowtail party. Looks like the bite is much stronger these days than when I went out so I'm planning a return trip. I may or may not be down there again next weekend... we'll see. Thanks for all the tips!

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
You must be new to BD.

We need pics of your Girlfriend, not fish...

:D

Welcome.

Upvote 0

llorca

net work
Mar 31, 2010
Miami, Florida
Name
Chris
Boat
net work
Ali, new to BD and new girlfriend.... thus *I* don't even have sexy pictures of her *yet*! That's her from the backside on the rail bringing one up though :D

Upvote 0