spike

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
I decided to try my luck fishing aboard the 3/4 day boat the San Diego Monday. After two down days of catching for the fleet Saturday & Sunday I was a little leary, but better to go out on the up swing than the down swing. Me and my buddy Ryan Burson thought, maybe less boat traffic, warm days with no seas, and a lot of water movement building into the full of the moon may spark a decent March Yellowtail bite!
The morning started off on the slow side, though two huge Sheeps Heads were caught there was zero sign of any Yellows around, that all changed mid day when the Birds got off there butts and began to get jiggy with it! A handful of bird schools marked the Yellows and we ended up fortunate enough to have about 10 stops catching a few each time. Though they were up puddling around still the best percentage of hook ups came near the bottom on Yoyo jigs, Blue & White definitely got the most bites but Scrambled Egg also got plenty of bites. A few were caught on sardines and three came in on Surface Iron, a total of 23 fish for 34 anglers, not wide open by any means but it kept us busy, and it's always more encouraging when the Yellows are up splashing around.
My day was poor to average at best in my mind due to a couple tackle failures and one missed opportunity. My first hook up came on a brown & yellow 6xJr, had him on for a while fighting him on a 50lb top shot when near color.. gone! I though it came unbuttoned, but if I would have looked closely enough I would have noticed I had no more hook and that the jig had busted at the tail. I made about 20 more casts untill I noticed it, luckly I did not get bit.
So with all the Yellows popping I opted to try the surface iron, first cast, Bendo! But short lived. Once again I wound in only to find no treble hook, my 7x aslo had broke at the eye of the tail..... Mother Fucker! Maybe at one point I had dropped each of them, maybe a bad pour of the jigs, maybe karma, who knows. I never let my frustration show I just kept at it, smiling and grinding.
Finaly I put a fish on the deck, live bait, 30lb flouro, I felt a little redemption!
Couple minutes later I switched back to the Yoyo jig and got bit on the sink but never got a good hook set, a missed oppportunity.
The Yellows were about 20 to 28lbs, and I do feel that besides myself a quite a few other fish were short lived and dumped, I heard one angler say "I should have had six" that being said, they were mainly only just bumping the surface jigs. One little girl hooked four on the Blue & white Yoyo, very cool, though unfortunately only landing 1. Also there were some who never even got a bite, like our buddy Ryan, who is a good angler, luck of the draw I guess. Though we had action, and visual stimulation, not wide open, but promising, and an epic March 3/4 day trip, I could have been working!
Once again the boat and the crew of the San Diego are first class! I forgot my phone and I had dead batteries on my camera, so no pic's, good luck to all who get a chance to get out before the Bunny lays the eggs this Sunday.

Upvote 0

PullinAhi

Fisherman
Feb 8, 2008
Mission Viejo
Name
Ryan
Boat
18 foot CC
Nice write up Spike. It was a fun day with lots of laughts. Next time maybe i'll get one...
Here is your fish, thanks for the chunk.
101_0176.jpg

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
At least you got one..So, Don't feel bad.
icon10.gif

I've a 5 trip skunk streak going..LOL

Thanks for the report...

Upvote 0

Danny

Fish Doper
May 17, 2009
Torrance
Name
Danny
Boat
SS FAT GUY
Nice Report Spike

Upvote 0

lowelld

May 5, 2011
irvine,ca
Name
lowell
Boat
bath tub
You mentioned a little girl who hooked 4 on the YoYo. Was she not cranking as hard and fast as you guys? Sometimes that works, too. Curious.

Upvote 0

spike

Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
You mentioned a little girl who hooked 4 on the YoYo. Was she not cranking as hard and fast as you guys? Sometimes that works, too. Curious.

Most everyone on the boat tried to mirror her grinding skills. Who's to say, but it was tried.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Bummer on the tackle problems, glad you salvaged the day with a good one! Congrats.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Two broken jigs? That never happens.

Nice work on the chunky jack.

Upvote 0

72fishn

Jan 2, 2008
carlsbad
Name
Jerome
Boat
still wishing
Thanks for the report. Had some of the same issues with hook failures on earlier trips and redeemed myself last week when I switched out old hooks. Went 2 for 3, Better to be lucky than good.:hali_olutta:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Upvote 0

vilters

chucker
Jan 28, 2004
Visit site
Name
steve
Boat
yes
nice report. i've broken a few jigs testing the welds on rings i soldered. glad you got a nice one.

Upvote 0