San Diego RV parking ordinance begins August 1

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Gary Schulte, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Gary Schulte

Gary Schulte Member

Name:
    Gary Schulte
    Boat:
    Proline 20 CC
    I just hope they don't now end up on the front lawns.

Prett sure that there's another law for that one too.

2. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    police have jurisdiction on the street, code enforcement on your property.

can you buy a permit for another persons house? buy permits and park in front of city council members homes.
    or make a freind that lives 1/10 away with a boat. just rotate them out. pain in the ass but a way to be civilly disobedient.

3. Gary Schulte

Gary Schulte Member

Name:
    Gary Schulte
    Boat:
    Proline 20 CC
    You don't understand what I'm saying or else I don't understand you. Up until August 1st you can play the 72 hour game. After that it becomes the 2-6am game. As far as the permits go I understand that a private contractor will be setting up a web page for that where the city gets $1.25 and the contactor gets .75 for each permit. I thought that I read the boat needs to be in front of your home but maybe that's flexible. What if you lend your boat to your buddy? Certainly he should be able to park it in front of his house, right?

4. kindafishy

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    i understand about the 1/10 th mile thing, i heard oceanside did it a while back. so that makes the old floor jack trick obsolete. do you have a link to the law as written? i'm pretty good at detecting B.S. and am good at finding ways around stuff.

5. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    As requested: http://www.sandiego.gov/parking/permits/torvp_index.shtml

6. Gary Schulte

Gary Schulte Member

Name:
    Gary Schulte
    Boat:
    Proline 20 CC
    Thanks for the link. I had not read that. Earlier they were saying $2. Maybe they decided to keep the permit in house and lower the cost. I think 72 permits/year and three consecutive days is pretty liberal. Still, they should be free since I'm already paying plenty in taxes.

7. kindafishy

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    http://docs.sandiego.gov/municode_strikeout_ord/O-20281-SO.pdf

^^link to stricken and re written ordinance
    page 10 defines RV, where you are referred to vehicle code i already cited.
    you do not have a boat on a "trailer" as defined by ca vehicle code.

i'm also looking into "attached" vs. "unattached" i think there may be a loophole as long as trailer is attached to tow vehicle

8. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Sometimes yes, but often times not.

A large number of my trips during the summer months are planned very last minute, and due to that very reason I would then be making a bunch of noise by firing up my truck and going through a fairly lengthy and noisy process to get my boat pulled out of my yard and off to go fishing.

My yard butts up against my neighbors, with their Master Bedroom not far from where my boat gets stored in my yard...... that guy will surely get the worst of it, and the other nearby neighbors wont be happy either...... can't blame them, but oh well.

In the past, once I knew for sure that the trip was a go, then I always hooked up the boat and had it on the street and ready to just fire up and split....... as I am always trying to stay very quiet for my neighbors during those early morning hours.

If these permits can be bought ahead of time, that would be great and work.... but that does not appear to be the case.

The unknown fisherman:p:

9. Gary Schulte

Gary Schulte Member

Name:
    Gary Schulte
    Boat:
    Proline 20 CC
    If these permits can be bought ahead of time, that would be great and work.... but that does not appear to be the case.

Why do you think that? I was under the impression that all you'd need to do is go online. Fill out the form. Pay the $1.25. Print the permit and somehow attach it to your boat. Seems easy and simple to me. Still a pain though.

10. kindafishy

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    taken directly from SDMC

§86.0143 Permit Process for Temporary Overnight Parking on Public Streets
    (a) The City Manager has the authority to adopt procedural rules and regulations
    governing the permit process, and to issue a parking permit for the parking of
    a recreational vehicle on a public street to any resident of the City or a bona
    fide guest of such resident, if:
    (1) a written application is made to the City Manager including the
    address of the resident;
    (2) the appropriate fees as described in section 86.0142(g) are paid; and
    (3) the City Manager determines that the vehicle will not create a safety
    hazard.
    (b) The permit shall state the address of the resident and the permit shall only be
    valid within the same block as the resident’s address, on either side of the
    street.
    (c) The duration of the permit shall not exceed twenty-four hours.
    (d) Permits may be issued, but not exceed, three consecutive twenty-four hour
    periods.
    (e) No more than 72 permits shall be issued relating to any one address in any
    one calendar year period.
    (f) Proof of residency and proof of recreational vehicle ownership or
    recreational vehicle use and control shall be demonstrated in a manner
    determined by the City Manager.
    (g) The fee for obtaining a permit shall be established by resolution of the
    Council based upon the recommendation of the City Manager. A copy of the
    fee schedule shall be filed in the ratebook of City fees and charges on file in
    the office of the City Clerk.
    (h) The recreational vehicle shall not be used for overnight camping, lodging or
    for accommodation purposes while parked on the public street.
    (“Permit Process for Temporary Overnight Parking

11. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    I may be wrong, but it's just the way I am seeing it right now.

If you look at reply #30, and where it says this.....
    "(1) a written application is made to the City Manager including the
    address of the resident" then it's definitely going to be a royal PITA.

Even for the guy who maybe finds out late in the day that he can get the next day off of work, and then finds out at between 4:30pm and 5:30 pm that he is able to round up a crew........ now among numerous other things that come with getting a boat ready for a early morning trip, he now has to try and go wherever it may be to purchase a permit to park his boat in front of his house. wow, this could get fugly!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  12. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    In Point Loma it's required to have a boat on or in front of your house... what will they do??? :D

LTBOLTMAN likes this.
  13. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
    Provided a person can actually find a parking spot within the terms of the permit.

14. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Instigator General

Name:
    JMH
    Boat:
    Always a good one
    I'm thinking about getting a double-wide and parking it on a barge...now that's livin'! :D

15. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    This is a tool for the cops to address the issue of people living in motorhomes in the beach areas.
    I wouldn't worry about parking my rig with boat attached overnight. If you have a beat down rv with a trailer full of crap behind it you'll likely get a visit sooner or later.
    Do you seriously think all the cops and meter maids in town are going to spring out of the bushes and ticket your boats in that short window.
    The launch ramps have similar signs. I park my truck overnight there when I go seabass fishing etc.
    Neither I nor any fisherman I know has gotten a ticket for parking between 2-4am.
    If I was sleeping in my truck, I'm guessing a cop would tell me to move on. Probably after running me for warrants, searching me and all my stuff, but I digress.....I give the cops a little credit for having common sense on this one.

16. Gary Schulte

Gary Schulte Member

Name:
    Gary Schulte
    Boat:
    Proline 20 CC
    I give the cops a little credit for having common sense on this one.

Like I said earlier in this thread. Just the other day I spoke with my local Nazi meter maid. She was bitching about a car I had up on jack stands in my driveway. We hung up and she called me right back and asked if that boat in front of my house was mine and I said yes. She told me about the 72 hour rule and I told her I had been moving it every three days in order to comply. Then she said that the new parking ordinance was beginning soon and after that all bets are off. Signs are going up and tickets given. I hope you're right about the cops but as of now I see a huge city boat auction on the horizon. FWIW, I just put my boat in a storage yard today. Hoping to beat the rush.

17. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Maybe we can get jobs as a meter maid on the new 2-4 am shift with free boat performance incentives.....

Nic D and rile-b-fishn like this.
  18. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Instigator General

Name:
    JMH
    Boat:
    Always a good one
    I think you missed Carl's point. No parking between 2 and 6am, this is likely to be a staffing issue between 2 and 6am. Probably gonna be the guy that locks the gates to the lots in Mission Bay at 2am. And that "transient parking lots" are clearly an issue.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  19. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    the trouble is ...somewhere some neighbor will constantly complain to someone in the city and they will use this law to cite you.Or they will only cite those that can't afford "nice" boats and rvs...or you will find some overzealous cop or metermaid with an axe to grind that will hit you with daily citations while you are out of town duck hunting and you'll come home to 10 tickets costing 100$ each or even a boat impounded for hundreds in towing and storage fees

20. Gary Schulte

Gary Schulte Member

Name:
    Gary Schulte
    Boat:
    Proline 20 CC
    I've taken care of my boat parking wise. What I'm concerned about is all the other street parked boats out there. Today I used google earth to look around the streets in the Point Loma/OB area where I used to live and I could see at least 8 boats parked within about one square mile. If you expand on that, there are potentially hundreds of boats that "could" be subjected to fines or towing. A guy at work had two of his cars towed once from his parking area down in South Mission. Two days later it cost him over $1000 to get his cars back.