Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    Looks like all the boats out of HM leaving tonight are cancelled. I was booked on the Producer, not too upset it cancelled. The ride out looked miserable.

Upvote 0

goldfinger81

Almost A Member
    Feb 18, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    None
    Generally what’s considered “rough” weather in terms of swells and intervals for getting on a sportboat? I use Windy to check the wind but don’t know how to interpret swell info

Upvote 0

stripedbizzle

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles ca
    Name
    JTM
    Boat
    No
    Generally what’s considered “rough” weather in terms of swells and intervals for getting on a sportboat? I use Windy to check the wind but don’t know how to interpret swell info
    Right now swell 10ft @ 10 seconds ; imagine swell the height of a driveway basketball hoop rolling towards you every 10 seconds

Upvote 0

fishwithwill

Almost A Member
    Nov 24, 2018
    On the roof
    Name
    OB
    Boat
    Blow Up Dolly
    Yeah...it was a mess inshore Point Loma today...this morning especially was ominous and potentially very dangerous...I got wet but ended up goin home bloody n smelling like fish

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"

I'm more of a "small boat" skipper (26' boat) but in general for me steady winds >= 15 knots aren't much fun, and make for difficult fishing/drifts. Gusts >= 20 knots not much fun. Swell, waves and period are arbitrary; depends a bit on the size of the boat (Shogun @ 95' handles more than Tomahawk @ 65'). If Swell + Waves comes close to Period (6 + 4 @ 10 seconds) this is pretty "square". Washing machine. Not a lot of fun to fish.

I am headed out Sunday 1100 on Tomahawk, returning to port Tuesday @ 0600. Conditions definitely look fishable to me; I don't like the 3 degrees water temp drop I have seen on Terrafin in the past 7 days; my expectation is that we will have to work pretty hard for our fish but I'm hoping for the best!

Upvote 0

goldfinger81

Almost A Member
    Feb 18, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    None
    I'm more of a "small boat" skipper (26' boat) but in general for me steady winds >= 15 knots aren't much fun, and make for difficult fishing/drifts. Gusts >= 20 knots not much fun. Swell, waves and period are arbitrary; depends a bit on the size of the boat (Shogun @ 95' handles more than Tomahawk @ 65'). If Swell + Waves comes close to Period (6 + 4 @ 10 seconds) this is pretty "square". Washing machine. Not a lot of fun to fish.

I am headed out Sunday 1100 on Tomahawk, returning to port Tuesday @ 0600. Conditions definitely look fishable to me; I don't like the 3 degrees water temp drop I have seen on Terrafin in the past 7 days; my expectation is that we will have to work pretty hard for our fish but I'm hoping for the best!
    Thanks! Heh, didn’t even know waves and swells were different things 😐. Out of curiosity, are cross swells ever a thing to pay attention to?

Fishing SD for the first time on Monday on the San Diego so hoping things are normal-ish by then.

Upvote 0