San Diego - Mission Bay advice

mmhendrie

Nov 2, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Matthew
Boat
nope
Guys - I'm going to be staying in Mission Bay in San Diego for a few days soon, and looking at a map it looks like I'm a very short walk to a spot in Mission Bay that google maps refers to as "Fishermans channel". I'm pasting in below the google map location of the spot, I'll be on the north side of the channel, immediately west of the Ingraham St. bridge.:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...m2!3m1!1s0x80d9530fad921e4b:0xd3a21fdfd15df79

Has anyone fished that spot and can give me any advice on what (if anything) I might be able to catch, and what rigs will work best?

Appreciate any tips!!
thanks,
Matt

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Spotted Bass,Sand Bass,maybe perch.Try mussels or ghost shrimp.Sliding egg sinker and maybe 8 or 10 lb. test line.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Yup Jim pretty much is spot on. If you rent a dingy use pinhead chovies also

Upvote 0

ror_sal

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
if you have a bass rod... bring it and pick up some swimbaits at Dana Landing, which will be close to you. Pound the rocks at high tide and sand at low tide. slow and low for the retrieve. the bass bite has been excellent. Are you staying at Paradise Point? If so, that place is really good just around the hotel.

Reactions: scubasteve2989
Upvote 0

mmhendrie

Nov 2, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Matthew
Boat
nope
thanks guys! I will have access to a kayak, but I'm an inexperienced fisherman, and haven't been in a kayak for 25yrs, so i'm not sure i'm ready to put the two together - do you think it'd give me a big advantage vs. fishing from the shore?

What sort of size egg weight would I need? I've not done much more than fishing double dropper loops with cut squid - is there any benefit to fishing that way in this channel?

I'm not staying at Paradise Point - renting a house on the other side (north) of the bridge - I believe the area is called Crown Point.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
There is another website running a batray tournament saturday march 12 and that channel will be lined up with sd team. That is their "secret" spot. By the way, not so secret.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2007
San Diego
Name
stan
Boat
None
Ski beach can be good as well as Mission point. The weedline in some areas close to shore can be pesky and being just outside of them in a yak or boat can give you a huge advantage. I fish a lot of 3-4 inch swimbaits and small slugs.

Upvote 0

ror_sal

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
3/8 oz weedless head and 3" Swimbait. If you go to Dana Landing and tell them what you wanna do...they will hook you up. I'm not much of a batray guy myself and think the bass fishing is more fun. Out if you put a piece of squid on you'll find them.

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Guys - I'm going to be staying in Mission Bay in San Diego for a few days soon, and looking at a map it looks like I'm a very short walk to a spot in Mission Bay that google maps refers to as "Fishermans channel". I'm pasting in below the google map location of the spot, I'll be on the north side of the channel, immediately west of the Ingraham St. bridge.:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...m2!3m1!1s0x80d9530fad921e4b:0xd3a21fdfd15df79

Has anyone fished that spot and can give me any advice on what (if anything) I might be able to catch, and what rigs will work best?

Appreciate any tips!!
thanks,
Matt
Halibut would be the best prize.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I've gotten most of my halis while fishing for bass on various swimbaits/spinner baits. I would grab some 3/8oz warbaits heads and a few 3" swimbaits and start fan casting from the rocks. Let it hit bottom and reel back painfully slow. Vary retrieve until you get bit then repeat!

Upvote 0

Werfless

Hugh Mann
Sep 15, 2012
The county
Name
Hugh Mann
Boat
Plastic Chariot
mission is loaded with fish, easy to catch whatever it is you are after.. I fish there several times a week, the big hali's aren't in yet, but the sand bass, calicos, sculpin, surf perch, opaleyes, etc are all biting well at the moment (yes, I fish bait).. ended up stranded in the channel when I tried to get out onto wreck alley for the rockfish opener got nasty out when the sun went down and the wind picked up enough to drive off the fog.. all went fine, ended up with a couple sand bass in the box, one went 5 lb or so, I think, a couple sculpin... only kept the ones that were legal that I hooked badly, had a 25-40 fish eve, without trying THAT hard (mostly calicos between 12 and 15 inches), all on chunk bait, fished on a drop shot style rig.. kayaks will let you work those channel edges WAY better than you can from the bank.. if you want some halibut, I would work a live smelt along the back of the channel between sea world and the ski beach boat launch, or the sand bars off crown from the yak.. hit me up if you want to fish

20160301_230343[1].jpg

Upvote 0