San Diego lodging

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by SSweep81, Dec 20, 2016.

1. SSweep81

SSweep81 Ceremonial Purposes

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    29, Grady White
    Hey guys,

My buddies and I would like to make a trip down to San Diego for a couple of weeks, with our own boats, to do some fishing and diving. Does anybody have any good recommendations for places to stay that have parking lots big enough to accommodate trucks pulling trailers?

2. drumford

drumford gotta go babe!

Name:
    Dondo
    Boat:
    Cory's Rig
    Google.

3. SSweep81

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    29, Grady White
    Yes google exists. Yes google is helpful. However it doesn't readily answer the questions I am asking. If you don't have anything valuable to say, then say nothing. I am asking if people have stayed at any places of which have parking lots big enough to accommodate large boat trailers. Because, oversized loads don't just fit into any hotel, motel, or extended stay parking lot.

C-4 Fishing and wii888lo like this.
  4. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Maybe the Dana Inn at Mission Bay ? The boat launch is right there with nice parking.Probably pricey though.

Arima-bob and Juanba like this.
  5. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    You sleeping in your rig or motel?

6. SSweep81

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    29, Grady White
    I would like to find a, motel/hotel/inn etc, some place to stay at. Depending on the weather we may stay a night now and again out on the water. So if anybody had any good experiences at different places that had large enough parking lots for trailers and were accommodating for boat trailers, that would be awesome. I would like to avoid making reservations somewhere only to find out that you need a Fiat to be able to turn around in their parking lot. So if anyone has gone down to San Diego with their boat and found a place that worked well for them I would be grateful. Or maybe getting a storage lot is the best way to go. I am not sure. Thanks guys.

7. Bizzy

Bizzy Member

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    25 Parker
    How about putting it in a slip for the week? Marina Village can probably slip your boat and has space for your trailer. Lots of hotels/ motels not far from there.

Carl likes this.
  8. Otto

Otto Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat:
    19 SeaPro
    I would consider the motel 6 on clairemont mesa blvd just west of the 805. Large parking lot enclosed by walls and fences.

9. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Try the Bay Club Hotel and Marina across from Shelter Island launch ramp. Sometimes really good deals with Groupon.

10. TAPOUT

TAPOUT Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
    If you're making the considerable effort to tow a 29 Grady from Washington, you may want to consider continuing on to Ensenada. You can stay at the Marina Coral Hotel or stay on your boat in their slips. That would put you 45 miles away from a potential epic Yellowtail bite, great bottom fishing and some cool dive spots.
    The vis usually sucks this time of year along the coast due to storm surge and run off, so if diving is a priority, I'd pass on the SD idea and go to Catalina Island. Bottom fishing is closed, but you could Lobster fish, and maybe get a shot at a white seabass or yellowtail. You could stay at a hotel in Avalon or on your boat in the harbor. Both are fun. Just some options....

Papa "J" likes this.
  11. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
  12. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    The guest slip recommendations is probably the way to go.

Another place to look into is Campland By The Bay, particularly if you have an rv or trailer amongst you.

One issue with trailering and staying at a motel in SD is that there is a total lack of freshwater washdown/flushout facilities at the ramps.... If I had room I'd let you keep it at my place, but I dont.

PM me your number and I'll give you a call and help you out if you want.. I have a soft spot for WashiGoogans. After the hospitality everybody showed me up there last year I'll make point to help a WG out as I am able.

13. kj6883

kj6883 Capt Kirk

Name:
    Kirk James
    Boat:
    Custom Davis pilothouse w/250 hp Honda ( OFF SITE 2 ), 16' power drifter, 25'Skipjack fisherman
    Yes, the only way to do it is to put it into a slip and drop the trailer. Then you can get around. Big city and lots of traffic. Been there many times and thats the only way to do it. Have fun.

14. SSweep81

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    29, Grady White
    Do most of the boat launches allow for trailers to be dropped for an extended period? The launches at home here frown on that pretty hard, let alone you might come back the next day and might not have a trailer to hook up too anymore. Are you thinking renting storage slip locally for dropping the trailer might be the best route?
    At the moment I am kinda leaning toward staying at a delux cabin at a KOA, which would allow for trailer/boat parking, and amenities to wash/flush the boat as well.
    I do appreciate everyone's comments and am "googling" all of them to check them out. I'm getting super pumped up. I'm ready to get some warm water blood in the boat.

15. SSweep81

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    29, Grady White
    Oh man this place looks awesome. Much more high brow than I'm used too. Ill have to buy a new wardrobe they may not let me in with my Romeos, Carhartt and Camo WSU hat. :) It looks like there is a bait barge on your way out too which is sweet. My ultimate goal would be to make it down there this fall and try to catch my first BFT and YFT.

16. mike82

mike82 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    a fish killing center console
    This is what you do. If price is no issue get a room at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn right across the street from Shelter Island ramp. As long as your vehicle is attached to your boat you will have no problem staying there as long as you want. DO NOT leave the boat there by itself because those asshole cops WILL ticket you. And that's it! You get a pretty nice hotel and it's right across the street from your boat so you can keep an eye on it. Plus you're hotel is right on the water and as close as you can get to a ramp (about 100ft away)! And at night after playing on the water you can just Uber to wherever you wanna party.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017