San Diego/Liberty

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Ripnsumlip, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Ripnsumlip

Ripnsumlip Hooooook upppppp!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Edgewater 265CC
    It's been a while since I've been on a 3/4 day boat. I was considering going out on either of these boats in the near future. Your personal thoughts and fishing experiences on both boats and captains would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take more than 3 rods. I was thinking a 25lb/ 40lb/ 50lb. set up should cover it all. Any thoughts ?

Thank you in advance,

Paul

2. JonS

JonS Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    None
    I just came off the liberty on Saturday. Nice clean boat. Great crew and captain. They are constantly trying to help. I would recommend them. But I don't really think you can go wrong with either one.

3. JonS

JonS Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    None
    As for set ups. I would try and bring something heavier if they are running offshore. They recommend a 60-80lb set up for dropping the flat falls. And a 50-60 for bait dropper looping. Then a 25lb flyline set up.

4. Ripnsumlip

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Edgewater 265CC
    Hi Jon,
    That's good to hear. How did you do ?
    Thank you......
    Paul

5. JonS

JonS Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    None
    I watched 3 guys get bit and land their fish. I didn't even get a sniff. But that's how it goes sometimes. No one on the boat lost a fish so that was good. One of the fish was doing some huge circles and got tangled pretty bad, but the crew did a great job and got the fish.

6. Ripnsumlip

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Edgewater 265CC
    To bad you didn't hook up, I've been there. Better luck next time. But, I'm looking for a professional crew that is more than willing to help. I'll probably be bringing my son or my girlfriend, or both....

7. JonS

JonS Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    None
    Can't get them all.

Try to get on a weekday one so that there will be a lighter load. And depending how old your son is and what type of fishing your looking into getting too. It may or may not be a good idea. Right now I know they are offshore chasing the big bluefin. Which is not a whole lot of action. So it could just be a long boat ride which may bore most kids. If he is younger I'd wait until the yellowfin come in closer to San Diego so they don't have to make such long runs. Right now they are running 40-60 miles out.

8. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    Both boats have top notch service. the liberty's bunks is the tie breaker for me personally. Especially with how far these fish are currently. The tuna hunt can be long and boring. Zero or hero style. Majority of Novice offshore anglers can easily bore off quickly on the slow days of with no fish. I would wait until the bft bite dies off and swings into coranados trips. Way more productive in terms of family style fishing.

fishin_kid likes this.
  9. carterantebi

carterantebi I hate fishing

Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Pacific Queen!
    Liberty all the way. Taro is a great captain and knows how to find the fish. All the deckhands work really hard and are always helping out. It's a very clean boat and newly redone and it's set up for longer ranged trips so it's very comfortable for a 3/4 day ride.

10. Ripnsumlip

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Edgewater 265CC
    Good advice Jon. Thanks....

11. lilrick

lilrick Member

Name:
    Lilrick
    Boat:
    whaler
    I recently took a trip on the SD. It was very clean and the deck crew was very professional. I would not want my kids or wife on the boat tho because the cook had a VERY foul mouth. Also the Liberty has bunks and it's a LONG RIDE...

12. Ripnsumlip

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Edgewater 265CC
    Thank you for your advice Lilrick.