No.... But Willing To Learn
Aug 19, 2008
Lake Forest, Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
Hi guys,

I haven’t been out yet this summer and am going to slide out on the Grande tomorrowI called the landing they recommended a 30# and 40# fly line set up.

I heard the tuna moved up the line and would assume tomorrow will be paddy hopping. I was planning on bringing 20#, 30# & 40# fly line set ups and surface iron set up. Should I bother with a 60# / 80# jig and bait rig?

Thank you for any suggestions and advice in advance.

Matt

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Hi guys,

I haven’t been out yet this summer and am going to slide out on the Grande tomorrowI called the landing they recommended a 30# and 40# fly line set up.

I heard the tuna moved up the line and would assume tomorrow will be paddy hopping. I was planning on bringing 20#, 30# & 40# fly line set ups and surface iron set up. Should I bother with a 60# / 80# jig and bait rig?

Thank you for any suggestions and advice in advance.

Matt
    Its a pain in the ass to carry tackle you dont use until you need it.Most of the time i fish with one bait stick and one jig stick but i usually have a backup and now with these larger grade tuna a 60-80lb setup is not a bad idea at all.Another good thing is if you fish spectra you can tie on different leader sizes reducing the need to carry more rods (20-30 can be fished on 1 rod etc).

Upvote 0

bradda_brandon

Dawn Butt Patrol
    Sep 27, 2016
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Too broke for one
    Fished with the guys on the liberty last week, and we opted to fish the tuna instead of that yellowtail patty stuff, but they did say bring a 25# rig just in case. I usually bring:
    - 25# rig that can fish 30# as well (torque 12)
    - 40# rig that is a II speed (Torque 25N II speed)
    - 50-60# rig for the sinker rig or for the fall type jig ( I fish my torque 40N for this)
    - surface rig: whether that be the tranX 500 or a trini 20a

Reactions: tbev
    Upvote 0