PENN

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
I was fortunate and saw that someone had cancelled their reservation on the San Diego so I jumped on it. Matt was behind the wheel today, I knew that he would be out for blood today after a down day for the fleet yesterday. We pointed W/SW and after about 2 hours we started to see signs, massive schools of tuna pushing bait to the surface. For much of the morning at any given point you could look down the line and see schools of foaming tuna going nuts. It was an awesome sight to see so close to home.

We pulled up on a few foamers until we finally got on a pretty good one willing to stick around a bit. The slide started with some flyline fish, I got picked up on 25lb and was soon wishing I was using at least 30lb. Somehow managed to escape the corner cluster and found my way to the bow where I played some tug of war, eventually Marco sunk the gaff into an excellent grade Yellowfin. We worked this stop pretty good and it settled in to more of a deep bite where the 6oz sinker rig and flat fall/sniper started to produce, it wasn’t wide open by any means but we plunked away and kept a few hanging for a good while. Later I got train wrecked on the sinker rig on 40lb and wasn’t able make it around the corner in time before it got me in the prop.

Fished this stop hard until it dried up. The rest of the day consisted of much of the same, stopping on foamers or sonar marks. Many of the schools were moving fast and didn’t want anything to do with us. The few that did stick with us put out a few fish, mostly sinker rig or colt sniper fish.

The rental rod guys were killing it on the sinker rig, which made me wonder if the long mono top shot used on the rental gear played a role in producing more bites, even though typically line size doesn’t matter as much when fishing that deep.

100gram sniper jigged vertically worked very well today as well. I was able to land a decent bft this way when the action slowed down a bit. The smaller 100-150gram flat falls were producing as well. Bait was beat up 5” sardines, very poor bait this trip.

I believe we ended up with 40 BFT and 14 YFT, not bad considering all the show and very little go today. The boys worked hard to put us on the fish today and we grinded out a solid day. The fish are close to home and the grade is very nice, tight lines.

BF990B9B-78E7-45B3-83F0-53F4D91399F4.jpeg

B3137CE6-9741-49E1-94F5-32CABC25B23D.jpeg

B8EE5C50-0361-446B-BFE4-1E297A595B5F.jpeg

473D06F9-CFA3-4EA1-B3F5-8F631C00C483.jpeg

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
The rental rod guys were killing it on the sinker rig, which made me wonder if the long mono top shot used on the rental gear played a role in producing more bites, even though typically line size doesn’t matter as much when fishing that deep.
I saw this on another boat. One rent rod guy had his sinker a foot from his sardine. He gets bit and I spent the day watching. I tried a long mono leader. It didn't work. I'm starting to think dead baits get bit better.

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Thanks for the report. The longer mono top shot was getting bit better with the sinker rig? Was yours long or short ?

I got bit on sinker rig with about 100ft topshot of 40lb mono, with ~4ft topshot of fluoro. But lost it all to the prop. Switched to my backup rig with braid to about 20ft of fluoro leader and didn’t get bit again. To be fair I didn’t stick with the sinker rig all day, I don’t really have the patience for it. But I did notice the rental rods doing very well today using mono.

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
I saw this on another boat. One rent rod guy had his sinker a foot from his sardine. He gets bit and I spent the day watching. I tried a long mono leader. It didn't work. I'm starting to think dead baits get bit better.

Dude, no lie someone caught their very first tuna (bft) today on sinker rig with the hook attached to the sinker. When I saw him dropping in the first thing I said to myself is watch this guy is about get bit lol

Upvote 0

Stakanak

Sep 25, 2013
Long Beach, California, USA
Name
Mark Nakagawa
Boat
“Buzzcatcher”
Dude, no lie someone caught their very first tuna (bft) today on sinker rig with the hook attached to the sinker. When I saw him dropping in the first thing I said to myself is watch this guy is about get bit lol
Fishing for 40 years, I’ve seen some weird stuff man! Sometimes the kooks get bit because they don’t fuck with the bait...especially on a sinker rig😂

• Haha
Reactions: Mark C.
Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Great report, sounds like the fish are coming in and covering a large area. Probably going to fill in even more very soon.

Yup, gotta enjoy what we have now before the peanuts move in heavy. There’s definitely some bigger models mixed in with these 25-40lb fish.

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Fishing for 40 years, I’ve seen some weird stuff man! Sometimes the kooks get bit because they don’t fuck with the bait...especially on a sinker rig😂

Lol, I think a big part of it is the inexperienced anglers actually listen to the crew’s advice and also stick to a technique and rinse and repeat until they stumble opon success. Lots of guys run around like a chicken with their heads cut off, indecisive about whether to flyline, drop sinker rig, flat fall, sniper, etc.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
I was obviously being facetious. 10 knots average speed x 2 hours probably put them just west of North Island - how about that?

Better yet, do your homework...

You know what we have here, a failure to communicate, thought the whaaaaaaaaaaaaat emoji explained it all.
my home work is done.

Upvote 0