kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Eventually the passenger total will creep back up to 60 with price staying at 200. Give it 'till next Summer tops for that to happen.
If not, They will keep the prices the same and reduce it down to 59 passengers and call it a limited load! I can easily see them doing that, Maybe not 59, But somewhere around 50.

Mr. DRE

Sep 23, 2019
West Hills, CA
Name
Andre
Boat
Private
Gone are the old days of $199 for 2 1/2 day trips that's for sure. Not including gas to get there, gear and other toys you are looking at 1 1/2 times the posted price for these trips. That includes mandatory credit card booking fee, parking, fuel surcharge and gratuity. Might have to cut back on crack and hookers.

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
FUUUUUCK... They are still gonna want a dollar for the stinky old burlap sack.

ahidog

10000 atta boys
Sep 15, 2004
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
Wow all the negativity. Ok a little math lesson...last year 175 BFT or 150 islands x50 people = between 8750 to 7500 for a full load gross sales. Last year they probably ran from April to October assuming full loads that entire time (which didn’t and never happens) and making 8k a day their gross was 1.68 million. This year maybe June to October at 6k a day is 900k. So they’re operating on a potential of 60% of last years gross. Oh and that is gross sales their net when you take out percentages is closer to 65%.
By the way this assumes full loads everyday which we all know doesn’t happen.
Also consider they have not made any money this year and if there is a repeat on this “pandemic” they may get reshut down this year.
quit bitching and go fishing (or don’t) but don’t begrudge guy trying to stay afloat in booger’s case or the mission belle or the Grande. I’m not a Lo Preste fan and don’t know what part of the liberty he owns but the other guys are hurting right now.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Well said brother. ....do the math. If $200 is too much..... don't go. Damn guys.... gas was 50 cents a gallon at one time.... no one bitching it's over $3 a gallon now. If you believe it's to much money.... find a private boat BD Brother.... and offer him $200 for a day of BFT fishing... limited load.

We bitch when they "Can't run"..... then we bitch when they "can run"..... now its too many.... and too much. Come on. Just a few weeks ago many said they would support those day boats.....now more "whining"??? That's life!

How many skippers..... and crew members will become "wealthy" with this "increase"..... none!!

Be safe out there.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
fishing is NOT an inexpensive sport/hobby. OCEAN fishing is REALLY NOT.

if you think riding the sportboats (even at those assumed new prices) is pricey..........go buy a boat. Buying the boat is just the beginning of the spending.....

whatever you do, DON'T "do the math" on the price paid vs. pounds of fish in the fridge per trip. You'll be setting yourself up for uber disappointment.

it is what it is, fellas........wanna play? Gotta pay. my $.02

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
It is unfortunately, that economics dictate such big price jumps instead of small incremental increases over a period of time. Fishing is a sport that is struggling to increase it's number of participants and has been for years. With such high prices you will see fewer and fewer kids take up fishing. The sport landings will see a shrinking client base that will not enable them to stay in business. It is sad but the day will come when there will only be maybe a half dozen boats thru out the whole California coast to fish on. The Long Range fleet will shrink to half the number of boats we currently have today. Between price increases and the ever increasing possibility that the Mexican government will close more areas down to the LR fleet doe not make the future very bright.

Reactions: cortezpirasea

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Costs me about $2000 to bring my boat to SD including hotel, slip fees, gas, food, bait and tackle for 5 days that's $400 a day

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
I’ll see y’all out there Iam still gonna fish rod n reel don’t hook and land fish by themselves

Reactions: dctalk523

reeljunky

Mar 29, 2007
LA
Name
Some dood
Boat
None
With your own boat it only costs a few thousand $ per fishing trip. At least mine does and I fish a lot.
Yeah I’m sure it does however this is not about how much it cost. People are missing the big picture. People will just opt of the sport all together. What that means is less drive and innovation over time into the sport. If there’s no money to be made why keep investing In a dead market. EVERY one will take a hit. If this was their way of making this season worse for them and years to come then they will succeed.

Reactions: No Cal Lou

reeljunky

Mar 29, 2007
LA
Name
Some dood
Boat
None
Just wanted to add. I’m always for a free market and in a free market the consumer will ultimately tell you if you have priced you product correctly. So time will tell if this is going to be the going rate.

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
I was in the optical business when I first started fishing with the fleet...
I simply brought the crews 10 pair of hobies and told the captain and crew that any prescription glasses they or their family needed to let me know and I'd cover it...all I wanted in return was to fish..
I worked at a wholesale lab and glasses cost me very little ...
Every skipper i talked to agreed they got the better end of the deal and I was able to walk on many boats in la and san diego and made incredible friendships along the way ..
With the way things are now I would probably get laughed off the boat as I wouldnt be able to come close to offsetting the cost of these trips now ...sad..

Last edited:

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
While no one likes crowds Learning how to do well consistantly on a crowded sport boat creates a unique skillset that definitely makes a better fisherman..while we all want less crowded boats it looks like learning that particular set of skills is to be a thing of the past....

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
While no one likes crowds Learning how to do well consistantly on a crowded sport boat creates a unique skillset that definitely makes a better fisherman..while we all want less crowded boats it looks like learning that particular set of skills is to be a thing of the past....
Are you the guy who stands in the middle of the stern all day and demands his spot back upon returning from the bait tank?