SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
That afternoon wind was gnarly, especially heading home straight into it. Saw some much smaller boats than yours taking a beating. We certainly saw enough fish the plug the boat. How’d you guys do?
We found a patty just south of the fleet first thing in the morning that yielded limits for the 3 of us (smaller 8-12lb not the 12-20lb like we've had.) that bite died as soon as the limit was hit but threw a last chance cast on it with a wounded mackerel plug and got nailed by our biggest bull dodo of the year. But he spit the hook right as he saw gaff.... and went 0-8 on YF 💔.. do to them only biting 15/20lb size 4 hooks. We stuck it out chummed chunck real heard I finally did connect with the right kind tho..got picked up by a 50-70lb BF on a fly lined Mack at the end of the day. Once we got it to color it stayed up taking long runs across the surface, through that high swell. so we did this dance a few times finally got it close only to see it peel off across the surface again. And at that very moment the pacifc voyager decided it needed to pass us by, within whispering distance and they picked up the line. I'm guessing it chopped off the BF obviously but it picked up my line and bumped AT LEAST 550yrds of 80lb spectra off of my Penn 12 VISX🤦‍♂️... In a matter of seconds. SMOKED THE DRAGS. And am dropping it off for service tomorrow. I don't know why they had to get so close. They saw us bent and had a solid 10 minutes to go around us.. besides finding a dead seal and a marking a floating telephone pole with a XXL Orage life jacket so nobody else hits it. The day just got worse. After taking 3 waves and 2' of water in the boat with both bilges going off. I Bee-lined in straight to the Rosario beach and rod it up from there. I heard horror stories from others I knew who tried driving straight back through it even a few radio calls of guys taking on water and to stand by for updates. Some of those waves were pushing 5' at less then 5 sends so it was SHIT out there. Now to go actually write up my own report. Cheers.

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
We found a patty just south of the fleet first thing in the morning that yielded limits for the 3 of us (smaller 8-12lb not the 12-20lb like we've had.) that bite died as soon as the limit was hit but threw a last chance cast on it with a wounded mackerel plug and got nailed by our biggest bull dodo of the year. But he spit the hook right as he saw gaff.... and went 0-8 on YF 💔.. do to them only biting 15/20lb size 4 hooks. We stuck it out chummed chunck real heard I finally did connect with the right kind tho..got picked up by a 50-70lb BF on a fly lined Mack at the end of the day. Once we got it to color it stayed up taking long runs across the surface, through that high swell. so we did this dance a few times finally got it close only to see it peel off across the surface again. And at that very moment the pacifc voyager decided it needed to pass us by, within whispering distance and they picked up the line. I'm guessing it chopped off the BF obviously but it picked up my line and bumped AT LEAST 550yrds of 80lb spectra off of my Penn 12 VISX🤦‍♂️... In a matter of seconds. SMOKED THE DRAGS. And am dropping it off for service tomorrow. I don't know why they had to get so close. They saw us bent and had a solid 10 minutes to go around us.. besides finding a dead seal and a marking a floating telephone pole with a XXL Orage life jacket so nobody else hits it. The day just got worse. After taking 3 waves and 2' of water in the boat with both bilges going off. I Bee-lined in straight to the Rosario beach and rod it up from there. I heard horror stories from others I knew who tried driving straight back through it even a few radio calls of guys taking on water and to stand by for updates. Some of those waves were pushing 5' at less then 5 sends so it was SHIT out there. Now to go actually write up my own report. Cheers.
Sheeesh that’s tough dude! 0/8 on the YFT, I feel the pain on that one. All I could think about today was the 2 I lost. They were good grade, some of them were damn near ass kickers on the light line. Bummer about the lost Bft, sucks even more that you hooked it on the right gear and gave yourself a very good chance to land it. I would be pretty heated if a boat ran over my fish, and cost me a spool of braid to boot. Salt in the wounds right there. Wish I had some positive encouragement for you man, just tough all around. Glad you were able to get some fish in the boat and more importantly make it in back safe, it was a washing machine out there. There will be better days.

Reactions: SMYLEE
Upvote 0

got2fishsd

Jun 21, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Eric
Boat
Maritime 20d
Good job on the fish. I left late yesterday (9:30) had a guy no show, no call so waited for another buddy.
I’m sure I stopped on that same kelp, 1000’s of dorado on it. I couldn’t get one to bite.
I was in my 20’ Maritime, the ride home was shit. I ran inside South Island hoping for a little relief.
How was the ride right to the beach? I kept thinking about running that way hoping pt Loma would protect it a little.

Upvote 0

Latest posts