Offshore San Diego Full Day 9/8/21 Yellowfin Identifying as Bluefin

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Jumped on the San Diego today in hopes of connecting with some Yellerfins. Several boats had decent success yesterday, so I was hoping we’d keep the counts trending upwards. Well that was wishful thinking. But not for a lack of effort, or fish for that matter.

Made the trek to the grounds in fairly flat calm conditions. Right away see the Liberty cutting their engines and starting chum, with fish boiling up heavy in their chum line. Good signs.

We search for our own fish and shortly stop on a good school. Same deal, had them boiling on our chum. But very tough to get them to eat a bait with a hook in it. Had to REALLY work for them. We worked this school for quite awhile, with only scraps to show for it. Man these fish were finicky. Boiling everywhere around the boat, putting on a pretty damn epic show, but very little go. I’m pretty sure these fish were trained by the Bluefin.

Had to drop down to 20lb IGFA rated fluoro and size 4 hook just to get licked. I went 3/5 on this stop, getting chewed off twice. These were nice grade fish. One of them dumped half the spool on my Saltiga 15 on the initial run before chewing me off. Also had several fish knock my baits off the hook.

Once our plunker bite fizzled we took off to search for biters. By then the wind was really blowing and making it tough to set up on the fish. Stopped on several spots of fish and couldn’t get them to stick with us. Did this until it was time to call it. We ended with 22 Yellowfin for our efforts, but had enough fish around us to fill the boat.

What worked : a rocket bait. It had to be hauling ass right out the gate or you wouldn’t get sniffed.

3F4616A9-09A5-41A4-9D86-1E3F13D41341.jpeg
4ECE63C5-3BE2-4AE8-9AFE-9FC553E3F657.jpeg
FA0AE494-C324-4D44-B4A7-0645EA868A39.jpeg

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Cool report and nice eating yellowfin.
    I think they too trained by Seiners like
    the schoolie Bluefin off Mexico? LOL

• Haha
    Reactions: Mark C.
    Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    My last 1.5 day I dropped down to 15# Fluoro to get bit by some small bluefin. I got a tiny bluefin then got smoked by a big yellow. I went back to 20/25 shortly after

Reactions: Mark C.
    Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    1802 Trophy WA
    You sure they weren't BFT:) Those are some great sized YFT though, nice work. These days size 4 hooks are my go to..
    They definitely could’ve fooled me by their passive aggressive manners. Awesome display, but pretty deflating. Never leave home without small hooks for sure!

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    1802 Trophy WA
    Yesterday's wind chop was CRAZY... horrible position being in my 24' glad you got on them! Good volume of fish down there right now
    That afternoon wind was gnarly, especially heading home straight into it. Saw some much smaller boats than yours taking a beating. We certainly saw enough fish the plug the boat. How’d you guys do?

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    1802 Trophy WA
    My last 1.5 day I dropped down to 15# Fluoro to get bit by some small bluefin. I got a tiny bluefin then got smoked by a big yellow. I went back to 20/25 shortly after
    Haha yup it always reaches a point of diminishing returns. I don’t even like fishing 20# for decent grade tuna, but these fish yesterday were a different breed. Extremely finicky.

Reactions: OldDawg_NewTricks
    Upvote 0