PENN

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    This trip was only 2.5 hours long. We left at 1130 to hit the midday halibut bite. Hit my normal spot and started the troll. Hooked up about 30 yards in. Boated a 23” halibut that came home. It’s hard enough to catch a keeper right? Almost to the end of the drift hooked up again. 24.5” butt. Something in the back of my head told me to let it go so I did. About 30 minutes later put a 29” halibut on the boat. An hour or so went by before I got a good hookup again. Got my biggest ever butt and had to go home because it didn’t fit in the cooler. I got a half scoop of sardines and only used 20-30 and on the way in I found a family and gave them the rest. I hope you guys got something out there!

Definitely not the most fish I’ve ever caught but I’ve never thrown back a keeper halibut before because I normally don’t catch them. The rulers on my boat only go to 36” and he was a few inches past the end. Maybe 38-39”?

I definitely missed a ton of fish. I’m still having trouble capitalizing on most bites. Probably missed about ten good bites. But maybe that’s just how halibut fishing goes
    CB090FBE-D1B8-45D2-95ED-23C62185A32A.jpeg

94C20E35-690F-4B1E-B823-6E4D77D89AC6.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MrBob

Donde estan los peces
    Jun 28, 2020
    Yorba Linda
    Name
    Robert Slack
    Boat
    na
    WOW!!! My kid caught a nice 10lb a month ago in SD Bay but yours is true beauty!!!
    Were drifting along the bottom?

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Karma!
    Dharma!
    Congrats!

Bait passoffs can really make an angler(s) day memorable. Good for you and I hope that there will be many more for you in the future.

Reactions: MattFred1414
    Upvote 0

whosmatt

Almost A Member
    Feb 25, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    17' self built cc skiff, Daft Boot
    Sounds like the bite turned on right around when I was giving up. All I managed was a guitarfish, but at least I got to pull on something that pulled back.

And yeah, if you're getting short bites a trap rig is the ticket. You can use whatever kind of hook you want; I use circles for the main and a j hook for the trap. Tie the main hook with a palomar knot and leave a long tagline. Then bend the tagline about 6" (depending on size of bait) and tie another hook on. Second hook goes through the upper back of the bait but not the spine, leaving enough slack that it can swim freely.

That should help if you're getting short bites / raked baits.

Upvote 0

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
    Apr 29, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    25 skipjack -Albatross
    dont fish for hali but you can look up bounce balling for hali with a trap rig- and using a dodger- 3 way swivel- etc

been some good articles in pcs on this

Upvote 0

Hydronaut

Jun 15, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Timothy Stengel
    Boat
    Freedom 22
    You sir are on Cali Hali fire. Congrats on the flatties. I see you use the ramp at MCRD Marina. It's pretty convenient with the carwash and fuel close by.
    Tight lines,
    Hydronaut

Reactions: djd35de
    Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    You sir are on Cali Hali fire. Congrats on the flatties. I see you use the ramp at MCRD Marina. It's pretty convenient with the carwash and fuel close by.
    Tight lines,
    Hydronaut
    Trying my best! I have always been fascinated by flat fish and love to chase them.
    Its an awesome boat ramp! Pain to get on at the moment with the gate guards constantly switching the rules.

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    Nice!

That is Halibut fishing!!! Those Fuckers are smart, never seen a fish that can bite off a bait right next to the hook. I've seen them tap, tap, tap, like a trout and I've had them Come up to the boat and open their mouth (just out of gaff range) and let the bait swim out... That was a pisser! These were nice fish we were in the cove @ San Martin Is. it was the most incredible day of Halibut fishing I ever had...I only got a couple, I got bit counless times.

Good Job!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0