MattFred1414

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
This trip was only 2.5 hours long. We left at 1130 to hit the midday halibut bite. Hit my normal spot and started the troll. Hooked up about 30 yards in. Boated a 23” halibut that came home. It’s hard enough to catch a keeper right? Almost to the end of the drift hooked up again. 24.5” butt. Something in the back of my head told me to let it go so I did. About 30 minutes later put a 29” halibut on the boat. An hour or so went by before I got a good hookup again. Got my biggest ever butt and had to go home because it didn’t fit in the cooler. I got a half scoop of sardines and only used 20-30 and on the way in I found a family and gave them the rest. I hope you guys got something out there!

Definitely not the most fish I’ve ever caught but I’ve never thrown back a keeper halibut before because I normally don’t catch them. The rulers on my boat only go to 36” and he was a few inches past the end. Maybe 38-39”?

I definitely missed a ton of fish. I’m still having trouble capitalizing on most bites. Probably missed about ten good bites. But maybe that’s just how halibut fishing goes
CB090FBE-D1B8-45D2-95ED-23C62185A32A.jpeg

94C20E35-690F-4B1E-B823-6E4D77D89AC6.jpeg

Last edited:

MrBob

Donde estan los peces
Jun 28, 2020
Yorba Linda
Name
Robert Slack
Boat
na
WOW!!! My kid caught a nice 10lb a month ago in SD Bay but yours is true beauty!!!
Were drifting along the bottom?

crawdadguy

team greybeard
Feb 21, 2006
NO. County S.D.
Name
crawdad guy
Boat
21 seaswirl DC
were you bounce balling? You said troll
have to perfect that style
good work!

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Karma!
Dharma!
Congrats!

Bait passoffs can really make an angler(s) day memorable. Good for you and I hope that there will be many more for you in the future.

Reactions: MattFred1414

briocfisher

Dec 9, 2007
ONTARIO
Name
Brian
Boat
26 twin vee
Nice fish. Good karma too. To get more hook ups use a halibut trap. Treble hook on back and j hook in front

Reactions: Tom123

longboard85

Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
Nice work on the flatties that's some fun fishing thanks for the report!

whosmatt

Feb 25, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Matt
Boat
17' self built cc skiff, Daft Boot
Sounds like the bite turned on right around when I was giving up. All I managed was a guitarfish, but at least I got to pull on something that pulled back.

And yeah, if you're getting short bites a trap rig is the ticket. You can use whatever kind of hook you want; I use circles for the main and a j hook for the trap. Tie the main hook with a palomar knot and leave a long tagline. Then bend the tagline about 6" (depending on size of bait) and tie another hook on. Second hook goes through the upper back of the bait but not the spine, leaving enough slack that it can swim freely.

That should help if you're getting short bites / raked baits.

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
dont fish for hali but you can look up bounce balling for hali with a trap rig- and using a dodger- 3 way swivel- etc

been some good articles in pcs on this

Hydronaut

Jun 15, 2020
San Diego
Name
Timothy Stengel
Boat
Freedom 22
You sir are on Cali Hali fire. Congrats on the flatties. I see you use the ramp at MCRD Marina. It's pretty convenient with the carwash and fuel close by.
Tight lines,
Hydronaut

Reactions: djd35de

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
You sir are on Cali Hali fire. Congrats on the flatties. I see you use the ramp at MCRD Marina. It's pretty convenient with the carwash and fuel close by.
Tight lines,
Hydronaut
Trying my best! I have always been fascinated by flat fish and love to chase them.
Its an awesome boat ramp! Pain to get on at the moment with the gate guards constantly switching the rules.

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Nice!

That is Halibut fishing!!! Those Fuckers are smart, never seen a fish that can bite off a bait right next to the hook. I've seen them tap, tap, tap, like a trout and I've had them Come up to the boat and open their mouth (just out of gaff range) and let the bait swim out... That was a pisser! These were nice fish we were in the cove @ San Martin Is. it was the most incredible day of Halibut fishing I ever had...I only got a couple, I got bit counless times.

Good Job!

Last edited:

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
some good eating there... nice report, thank you